1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 12:34
    Originally posted by whodey
    Again you are taking biased information from the organizations that you are talking about. They are attempting to "mainstream" their religion by saying that they are "Christian". If they are Christian then why to they deviate from the teachings of the Bible and especially from Christ?

Mormonism teaches that the canon of the Scriptures was not closed wh ...[text shortened]... blasphemous to elevate sinful mortal man to that of God unless he is God as was Christ.
    The Bible itself refers to other Gods. You're simply repeating propaganda.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 12:37
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Zero evidence from the sources they cite (provided it hasn't been falsified).

Please keep up with the discussion.
    What sources have whodey and RBHILL cited? I talked to a guy?
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 12:42
    As I have said, I have shown the oldest manuscripts to date that show the scriptures in the Bible. If you can find an older manuscript that counters the Bible we have today I am all ears.

As far as your contention that the Bible has an agenda, I assume you can back this up and tell all of us what the agenda is?
    The Protestant Bible postdates the Quran by about a 1000 years. The RCC Bible, the one with 73 books, wasn't formally identified until the Council of Trent in the 400's. There are hardly any pieces of Scripture that survive from before 200 AD. You don't know the history of your own Holy Book.

And surviving for a long time doesn't prove anything about the veracity of a source document, if if did you'd have to accept the theology of the Epic of Gilgamesh.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 12:501 edit
    That may be what the web site says, however, I can tell you that I have talked with more than one JW. When I did they told me that they only study portions of the Bible that they are instructed to read at their meeting place or church. They are then given a study guide to explain to them how to interpret what they have studied. Have you ever talked to a JW ...[text shortened]... about how they operate. Now you tell me who is spewing out ignorant and incorrect information?
    Why should I accept your claims regarding a group you obviously don't know crap about over the theology spelled out in their own Church website? 🙄
    Maybe you and RBHILL can give authoritative commentary on the beliefs of the RCC and I can avoid having to read the sources maintained by the Vatican.
  5. London
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 12:51
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The Bible refers to "other Gods" as objects of pagan worship; not as existent beings.

You're being disingenuous.
  6. London
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 12:52
    What sources have whodey and RBHILL cited? I talked to a guy?
    In this case, the Bible (the common source that JW and whodey/RBH refer to).

Please keep up.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 12:541 edit
    The Bible refers to "other Gods" as objects of pagan worship; not as existent beings.

No, he's not. There's substantial evidence to the contrary. You might recall the thread about Hebrew henotheism.

http://www.aarweb.org/syllabus/syllabi/g/gier/306/henotheism.htm
    http://www.infidels.org/library/magazines/tsr/1994/1/1poly94.html
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 13:53
    In this case, the Bible (the common source that JW and whodey/RBH refer to).

Please keep up.
    What are you talking about? Please stow the snotnose comments; the only "source" given by whodey regarding the beliefs of JW's was his supposed conversations with some of them. Why would these conversations (assuming they exist) trump the official Church doctrine as set forth on their website?
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 14:011 edit

Baloney. There's about a 100 references in the OT to gods and none indicate that such beings don't exist. At most, they claim they are lesser beings then Jehovah, which would be the same thing whodey is accusing the Mormons of believing.

Here's one: Exodus 18:11 Now I know that Jehovah is greater than all gods; yea, in the thing wherein they dealt proudly against them.

I can quote many more or you can go to biblegateway.com and search for "gods" in the OT.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 14:141 edit
    Whodey also (deliberately?) misquoted number 8 of the Mormon Articles of Faith. Here's the actual one:

8. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,4945,106-1-2-1,FF.html

Nothing about "usable" or "many errors" etc. etc.
  11. not of this world
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 14:22
    Originally posted by ahosyney
    Last night I was listening to a debate between a Muslim , Jehovah Witness and Christian on PalTalk. They were talking about Jesus Divinity. Of cource the Muslim, and the Jahovah Witness were in one side and the Christian in the other site. Althougth the Jahovah Witness belive in Bible as the Christian, the Christian was not able to prove his point.

Any ...[text shortened]... e in Jesus Christ as a saviour but they don't belive he is GOD, Are they considered Christians?
    Last night I was listening to a debate between a Muslim , Jehovah Witness and Christian on PalTalk. They were talking about Jesus Divinity. Of cource the Muslim, and the Jahovah Witness were in one side and the Christian in the other site. Althougth the Jahovah Witness belive in Bible as the Christian, the Christian was not able to prove his point.

Any way I want to understand what Christian think about Jehovah Witness? Are they christians? They do belive in Jesus Christ as a saviour but they don't belive he is GOD, Are they considered Christians?

Impossible to say that they believe in the Bible, I will prove this with a quote:

1Jo 2:22 Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son.
    1Jo 2:23 No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also.

If you want a biblical definition on Jehova's witnesses, there you have it.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 14:351 edit
    Originally posted by louisXIV
    [b/]Last night I was listening to a debate between a Muslim , Jehovah Witness and Christian on PalTalk. They were talking about Jesus Divinity. Of cource the Muslim, and the Jahovah Witness were in one side and the Christian in the other site. Althougth the Jahovah Witness belive in Bible as the Christian, the Christian ...[text shortened]... e Father also.

If you want a biblical definition on Jehova's witnesses, there you have it.
    How exactly do JW's "deny the Christ"? Do you know anything about their doctrines?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 14:37
    Ephesians 4:5 "One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all." Therefore, when you are asking about other Gods I would say you should not use a capitalized "G" rather a smaller case "g". Christianity is a monotheistic religion.
  14. not of this world
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 14:381 edit
    How exactly do JW's "deny the Christ"? Do you know anything about their doctrines?
    Sure. I've been studying theology, and have had a thorough course on the Jehova's witnesses.

well, concerning the fact they deny Christ: They don't believe he's God, very simply.

Would you like me to go a bit into length on their doctrines and how they practice their faith?
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 14:40
    JW's say that Christ is the archangel Michael. This attacks the diety of Christ in that he would then not be part of the trinity. Please do show us no1 where this is located in the Bible and you win a cigar!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree