1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    04 May '05 22:27
    Originally posted by Coletti
    Not a good example. Elisha said he would take them to the city and show them who they were looking for. And he did. He took them to Samaria, then he asked the Lord to open their eyes and they say Elisha. They were looking for Elisha, and he showed them Elisha.
    2Ki 6:18-20.

He did mislead them, but this was during a war, and they were intending to capture Elisha.
    I see; you will attempt to escape your predicament by calling it 'misleading' instead of lying.

19 And Elisha said unto them, This is not the way, neither is this the city: follow me, and I will bring you to the man whom ye seek. But he led them to Samaria.

Elisha told them they were on the wrong track and the man they sought was elsewhere. In other words, he lied. So, do you think his lie was a sin?
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    04 May '05 22:27
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    I am not God so I cannot say for sure. Would you mind quoting the exact context so that I can analyse the situation.
    See my response to Coletti.
  3. R.I.P.
    Moves
    04 May '05 22:371 edit
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Telling the Truth is never wrong nor is it a sin. Truth is Love and there is no sin in love for obaying God.
    I wonder if you will feel the same once your wife hits you, when you have told her that her butt does look big in that new dress.🙂

Come on be brave, answer my question, would you lie to save the Jews hiding in your house? or would you tell the truth and send them to the gas chamber ?

4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    04 May '05 23:471 edit
    Originally posted by Jay Peatea
    I wonder if you will feel the same once your wife hits you, when you have told her that her butt does look big in that new dress.🙂

Come on be brave, answer my question, would you lie to save the Jews hiding in your house? or would you tell the truth and send them to the gas chamber ?

I told you I would not have anyone in my house who I do not know.
    And that is in the past something that I do not have to worry about.
    But as a Christian I do not worry.
  5. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    05 May '05 02:49
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I see; you will attempt to escape your predicament by calling it 'misleading' instead of lying.

[b]19 And Elisha said unto them, This is not the way, neither is this the city: follow me, and I will bring you to the man whom ye seek. But he led them to Samaria.

Elisha told them they were on the wrong track and the man they sought was elsewhere. In other words, he lied. So, do you think his lie was a sin?[/b]
    He said he would show them who they were looking for, and he did. I think you are stretching it. Surely you can come up with a better example of lying in the Bible than that. Not that it would matter.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    05 May '05 04:05
    He said he would show them who they were looking for, and he did. I think you are stretching it. Surely you can come up with a better example of lying in the Bible than that. Not that it would matter.
    If it doesn't matter, then what is the harm of admitting that Elisha lied?
  7. Joined
    02 May '05
    Moves
    05 May '05 04:57
    so what you are saying is no ones religion is right but your or at least that is what you beleive and i know they make them in different languages i'm not stupid what i meant was some religions say that the bible says one thing and others say another how can it all be true and who is right
  8. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    05 May '05 05:26
    Originally posted by outbackjill
    so what you are saying is no ones religion is right but your or at least that is what you beleive and i know they make them in different languages i'm not stupid what i meant was some religions say that the bible says one thing and others say another how can it all be true and who is right
    The best way is to read the BIBLE for yourself.
  9. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    05 May '05 05:36
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    The best way is to read the BIBLE for yourself.
    outbackjill
    BF101 is right Read it for yourself.
    Jesus say he is the only way to the father 14:6; so that means that being Catholic, baptist and anyother religion will save you only Jesus can.

Go look up Romans 10:17 then Luke 10:26.

Jesus asks what is your reading of it in Luke.

10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 May '05 12:29
    If it doesn't matter, then what is the harm of admitting that Elisha lied?
    In what way was Elisha lying if he said that he would show them who they were looking for, and does so?
  11. London
    Moves
    05 May '05 12:49
    Originally posted by outbackjill
    Every person who believes a proposition to be true thinks that persons who believe the proposition is false are wrong. This is as true of religion as it is of every aspect of human life.
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    05 May '05 16:16
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    In what way was Elisha lying if he said that he would show them who they were looking for, and does so?
    He said they weren't at the right city - which was false.
    He implied that he wasn't Elisha by his choice of words.
    He intended to deceive them because he asked god to blind them.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    05 May '05 16:21
    He did mislead them, but this was during a war, and they were intending to capture Elisha.
    This one sentence jumped out at me when I re-read your post today.

If 'lying is always wrong' - a moral absolute - then lying to save your own skin is no exception.
  14. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    05 May '05 16:27
    He said they weren't at the right city - which was false.
    He implied that he wasn't Elisha by his choice of words.
    He intended to deceive them because he asked god to blind them.
    They were not in a city at the time - nor does it say they asked him to take them to a city. He just told them he knew where they should go.
    And yet he kept his word to show them Elisha.

Do you think they were literally blind. More often, it means they were unable to recognize who they were talking too. In fact, they were so confused, they didn't even know where they were. They find this guy and tell him to take them to Elisha. So he does. God blinded their minds so that they were lost and hopeless.

Sure, he tricked them. But he never really lied to them - and although he didn't take them were they thought they wanted to go, he had them treated like guests when they got there - instead of being killed they were feed and let go.

The whole story is a small illustration of God's power and grace. You are missing some good stuff by getting all caught up on one insignificant detail that you have misread.
  15. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    05 May '05 16:28
    This one sentence jumped out at me when I re-read your post today.

If 'lying is always wrong' - a moral absolute - then lying to save your own skin is no exception.
    I have said that from the start.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree