Jesus visits Paul

Jesus visits Paul

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
18 May 08
1 edit

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
After reading all posts, I don't think you've gotten one yet. But be of good cheer--there is always hope. 😉
If he already knows the answers, why ask them?

Furthermore, how are his questions material to the topic at hand?

He's just playing games as usual.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
19 May 08

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Unfortunately much of "Christianity" has deviated far from the path outlined by Jesus. That deviation seems to have started with Paul. The point is that many of the "Christian" churches do not follow the teachings of Jesus. How well they manage to follow Paul is unimportant.
By showing that they are not in fact following Pauline doctrine, it reveals that they are not very good at following written doctrine in general, or they cannot see the contradictions therein.

T

Moves
20 May 08
2 edits

Originally posted by SwissGambit
By showing that they are not in fact following Pauline doctrine, it reveals that they are not very good at following written doctrine in general, or they cannot see the contradictions therein.
Yeah, it's pretty sorry, isn't it?

However, I don't think they make a conscious attempt to follow Paul, as much as embracing the idea of "salvation by grace" seems to allow them to continue to sin without feeling badly about themselves or having to be concerned with "getting to heaven". They seem to see it as an eternal "get out of jail free" card and are extremely protective of it. It's remarkable how the mind can keep one from seeing what's there. Can you spell denial?

That said, embracing atheism can accomplish much the same thing for others. Interesting don't you think?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
20 May 08

Yeah, it's pretty sorry, isn't it?

However, I don't think they make a conscious attempt to follow Paul, as much as embracing the idea of "salvation by grace" seems to allow them to continue to sin without feeling badly about themselves or having to be concerned with "getting to heaven". They seem to see it as an eternal "get out of jail free" card and ...[text shortened]... atheism can accomplish much the same thing for others. Interesting don't you think?
Do you really think that we require the promise of heaven and/or salvation, or threat of hell, just to make us act rightly? If not, why scorn atheism for liberating people from these phony motivations?

T

Moves
20 May 08

Do you really think that we require the promise of heaven and/or salvation, or threat of hell, just to make us act rightly? If not, why scorn atheism for liberating people from these phony motivations?
I never said or even implied that anything should be required for one to "act rightly" other than for the sake of doing so.

However, it still stands that many athiests share the same motivations as "Christians" who believe in "salvation by grace". No reason for you to take offense. It is what it is. The sad truth is that the vast majority of people do not "act rightly". It seems to make little difference whether they are athiest or "Christian". That's a really pathetic track record for those who call Jesus "Lord" if you think about it.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
21 May 08

I never said or even implied that anything should be required for one to "act rightly" other than for the sake of doing so.

However, it still stands that many athiests share the same motivations as "Christians" who believe in "salvation by grace". No reason for you to take offense. It is what it is. The sad truth is that the vast majority of people do ...[text shortened]... really pathetic track record for those who call Jesus "Lord" if you think about it.
I guess I'm still confused about your earlier post.

Why should an atheist care about trying to get into heaven? Or having an 'eternal get-out-of-jail free card'?

T

Moves
21 May 08
1 edit

I guess I'm still confused about your earlier post.

Why should an atheist care about trying to get into heaven? Or having an 'eternal get-out-of-jail free card'?
An atheist isn't concerned about 'getting into heaven' because there's nothing to worry about. Similarly a "Salvation by Grace Christian" isn't concerned about about 'getting into heaven' because there's nothing to worry about. Clearer?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
22 May 08

An atheist isn't concerned about 'getting into heaven' because there's nothing to worry about. Similarly a "Salvation by Grace Christian" isn't concerned about about 'getting into heaven' because there's nothing to worry about. Clearer?
We're almost there.

I would say it's good to quit worrying about getting into heaven, and bad to sin [or better, do morally wrong things] without feeling bad about it. Since you put 'not worrying about getting into heaven' and 'sinning without feeling bad' into the same sentence, it sounds like you view both of them as bad things. True?

T

Moves
22 May 08

We're almost there.

I would say it's good to quit worrying about getting into heaven, and bad to sin [or better, do morally wrong things] without feeling bad about it. Since you put 'not worrying about getting into heaven' and 'sinning without feeling bad' into the same sentence, it sounds like you view both of them as bad things. True?
The point I was trying to make was about how people create rationalizations that remove obstacles from sinning (or as you put it - doing morally wrong things) and how "Salvation by Grace Christianity" puts itself on equal footing with atheism in this way.

I'd say that acting righteously for selfish reasons is basically doing the right things for the wrong reasons. I'd put "getting into heaven" in this category.

This would be so much easier in a face-to-face conversation 🙂

j

Moves
23 May 08

What is this nonsense about Jesus verses Paul?

What did Jesus teach that Paul did not faithfully follow to teach in like manner ?

Cape Town

Moves
23 May 08
1 edit

The point I was trying to make was about how people create rationalizations that remove obstacles from sinning (or as you put it - doing morally wrong things) and how "Salvation by Grace Christianity" puts itself on equal footing with atheism in this way.
How does atheism create rationalizations that remove obstacles from sinning? I don't see how you can equate it with "Salvation by Grace Christianity".

I'd say that acting righteously for selfish reasons is basically doing the right things for the wrong reasons. I'd put "getting into heaven" in this category.
So the "Salvation through Righteousness" that you praised earlier in the thread is either:
1. doing the right things for the wrong reasons.
2. only truly praiseworthy when salvation is not in fact the motivation for the righteous person. But then why did Christ (and others since him) spend so much time talking about salvation? Surely that can only serve to tempt and mislead?

Cape Town

Moves
23 May 08

Originally posted by jaywill
What is this nonsense about Jesus verses Paul?

What did Jesus teach that Paul did not faithfully follow to teach in like manner ?
You wouldn't (and can't) know because your secret decoder ring is silently removing all the contradictions.

Of course what we should really be discussing is the difference in theology between Paul and the Gospel writers. I wonder which actually knew more about the actual historical Jesus.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
23 May 08

Originally posted by twhitehead
You wouldn't (and can't) know because your secret decoder ring is silently removing all the contradictions.

Of course what we should really be discussing is the difference in theology between Paul and the Gospel writers. I wonder which actually knew more about the actual historical Jesus.
I am interested. What are the different theologies between Jesus and Paul?

Cape Town

Moves
23 May 08

Originally posted by Conrau K
I am interested. What are the different theologies between Jesus and Paul?
I actually said quite clearly that the differences were between Paul and the 'reported Jesus' as reported by the gospel writers.

I am no expert on the Bible so will not attempt to go into detail or even claim that I am right, but I have heard that:
1. Paul focused more on 'salvation by faith' and Jesus more on 'salvation by works'.
2. Paul made Christianity into a religion for all, whereas Jesus focused mainly on Jews.
3. Paul saw Jesus as God whereas I don't think Jesus really made that claim.

My comment to jaywill was not so much to claim that there are difference but to point out that if there were he would either not see it or he would explain them away.

j

Moves
23 May 08
4 edits

twhitehead writes:

1. Paul focused more on 'salvation by faith' and Jesus more on 'salvation by works'.
2. Paul made Christianity into a religion for all, whereas Jesus focused mainly on Jews.
3. Paul saw Jesus as God whereas I don't think Jesus really made that claim.

Which one of these bogus ignorant statements would you like me to totally debunk first.

#1 or #2 or #3 ? I think I'll do one post per point today.

Anyone?