Jesus visits Paul

Jesus visits Paul

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
23 May 08

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
You can quote Paul all day, but if you fail to obey the words of Jesus who are you following?

"Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord', yet you don't do what I tell you?"

It's as if Jesus had you in mind when He said this.
Phil.3:7-11

But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

And Jesus had this in mind when He told Paul to write it down so you could read it and obey Him!

j

Moves
23 May 08
1 edit

SwissGambit

=================================

I've read debates like this one on here before. The next step is the claim that John, like Paul, also wished to deify Christ and thus slanted his gospel to attain that end.
==================================

Nope! You've aready taken the "next" expected step - discredit the Gospel of John and pretend that only the synoptics are valid.

THEN, I take the next step: Prove that Christ is taught as God incarnate in the synoptic Gospels as well.. THATS usually how it goes.

T

Moves
23 May 08

Originally posted by josephw
Phil.3:7-11

But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is ...[text shortened]... And Jesus had this in mind when He told Paul to write it down so you could read it and obey Him!
What do you believe Jesus meant when He said the following:

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. And the servant abideth not in the house for ever"

"Depart from me, you who work iniquity."

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
23 May 08

Originally posted by jaywill
SwissGambit

[b]=================================

I've read debates like this one on here before. The next step is the claim that John, like Paul, also wished to deify Christ and thus slanted his gospel to attain that end.
==================================

Nope! You've aready taken the "next" expected step - discredit the Gospel of Jo ...[text shortened]... as God incarnate in the synoptic Gospels as well.. THATS usually how it goes.[/b]
I would have thought that my post made it clear that I was referring to how others have debated this, and not necessarily debating it myself.

But it's still an interesting debate. Let's hear your case for deity-Jesus in the synoptic gospels.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
23 May 08

What do you believe Jesus meant when He said the following:

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. And the servant abideth not in the house for ever"

Ps 32:2 Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.

What do you think David meant in this verse?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
23 May 08

Originally posted by SwissGambit
I would have thought that my post made it clear that I was referring to how others have debated this, and not necessarily debating it myself.

But it's still an interesting debate. Let's hear your case for deity-Jesus in the synoptic gospels.
Did you miss my post on page 3? I would be interested in your reply.

T

Moves
23 May 08

Ps 32:2 Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.

What do you think David meant in this verse?
What is it about the words of Jesus that keep you from seriously considering them? If you call Him "Lord", shouldn't you start with His words and fit the rest of the Bible around them, instead of the other way around which is what you do?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
23 May 08

What is it about the words of Jesus that keep you from seriously considering them? If you call Him "Lord", shouldn't you start with His words and fit the rest of the Bible around them, instead of the other way around which is what you do?
That's not at all what I do.

I think what you do is buy a Bible, tear out the gospels, and throw the rest away.

T

Moves
23 May 08

That's not at all what I do.

I think what you do is buy a Bible, tear out the gospels, and throw the rest away.
Then provide an explanation as to what Jesus meant by the following:

P

weedhopper

Moves
23 May 08

Then provide an explanation as to what Jesus meant by the following:

Jesus spoke of UNREPENTENT sin----you know, like uncontrite bullies?

T

Moves
23 May 08
1 edit

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
Jesus spoke of UNREPENTENT sin----you know, like uncontrite bullies?
Yes repentance is extremely important. Repentance as in turning away from sin and not merely feeling remorse.

Actually read His words:

"Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin."

Which definition do you think Jesus is speaking about?

P

weedhopper

Moves
23 May 08

Yes repentance is extremely important. Repentance as in turning away from sin and not merely feeling remorse.

Actually read His words:

"Whosoever [b]committeth
sin is the servant of sin."

Which definition do you think Jesus is speaking about?[/b]
When we sin, we "work" sin. That's a given. We don't cede our salvation when we do. Fortunately for all of us...

T

Moves
23 May 08

When we sin, we "work" sin. That's a given. We don't cede our salvation when we do. Fortunately for all of us...
You can believe whatever you like, but Jesus says otherwise:

P

weedhopper

Moves
23 May 08

You can believe whatever you like, but Jesus says otherwise:

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. [b]And the servant abideth not in the house for ever
"

"Depart from me, you who work iniquity."[/b]
I think not. We often "depart" from the Lord. but in His mercy, He welcomes us back as we seek forgiveness.

T

Moves
24 May 08
1 edit

I think not. We often "depart" from the Lord. but in His mercy, He welcomes us back as we seek forgiveness.
Do the words of Jesus mean nothing to you?

Matthew 7:21-23
"Not everyone who says to me,'Lord, Lord,' will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven; but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will tell me in that day,'Lord, Lord, didn't we prophesy in your name, in your name cast out demons, and in your name do many mighty works?' Then I will tell them,'I never knew you. Depart from me, you who work iniquity.'"

Luke 13:3
I tell you, no, but unless you repent, you will all perish in the same way.