Jesus visits Paul

Jesus visits Paul

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
17 May 08
2 edits

P: That's all that's required? Excuse the laughter, but this comes as such a relief. Living up to your words was proving to be such a struggle. Never mind that it's a really tough sell.

J: Feel free to laugh. Believe me, we've had more than a few chuckles over it ourselves. The message was so simple: I would die for everyone's sins and all anyone need do is profess belief that I did so. But could I simply manage to deliver the message? Noooooo. I never seemed to be able to get the words out. Instead I'd spout off about righteousness and how it's required.

P: That's hilarious. It's like the moment of truth would come and you'd go dead from the neck up.

J: Tell me about it. Depart from me, you who work iniquity.

P: Please stop. I'm about to split my side.

J: Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. The slave does not remain in the house forever.

P: Stop it, stop it, you're killing me.

J: Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' but not do what I command?

P: Stop. Really. I can't take any more.

P

weedhopper

Moves
17 May 08

????

Excuse my denseness, but I don't get it .

T

Moves
17 May 08

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
????

Excuse my denseness, but I don't get it .
The words of Paul conflict with the words of Jesus. If Paul received his words from Jesus in visions as some believe, what might have their conversation been like?

P

weedhopper

Moves
17 May 08

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
The words of Paul conflict with the words of Jesus. If Paul received his words from Jesus in visions as some believe, what might have their conversation been like?
Ahhhh. Got it. Thank you.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
18 May 08

Did Jesus appear to Paul? Did they speak to one another?

T

Moves
18 May 08

Originally posted by josephw
What do you think? Did He? Did they?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
18 May 08
3 edits

P: That's all that's required? Excuse the laughter, but this comes as such a relief. Living up to your words was proving to be such a struggle. Never mind that it's a really tough sell.

J: Feel free to laugh. Believe me, we've had more than a few chuckles over it ourselves. The message was so simple: I would die for everyone's sins and all anyone need ord, Lord,' but not do what I command?

P: Stop. Really. I can't take any more.
What do you make of verses like:
9 I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11 But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.
1 Cor. 5:9-11

Was Paul 'soft on sin' just because he advocated salvation by grace? It sure doesn't sound like it here.

Edit: And to continue the passage...
12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you."

It is often said on this forum that "Christian" churches follow Paul instead of Christ, but how many follow this policy?

P

weedhopper

Moves
18 May 08

Yes---on the Damascus Road, remember?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
18 May 08

'And the scales fell from me ... I'm tellin' ya Frankie, it was a sight for sore eyes ... '

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
18 May 08

I know PinkFloyd. Just try to get a straight answer from thinkofone.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
18 May 08

Originally posted by SwissGambit
What do you make of verses like:[quote]9 I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11 But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls hi ...[text shortened]... hristian" churches follow Paul instead of Christ, but how many follow this policy?
Paul was indeed not soft on sin.

Rom.6:1,2
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
18 May 08

What do you think? Did He? Did they?
Yes or no. Did Jesus appear to Paul, and did they speak to one another? Answer the question or don't bother posting a reply.

I won't waste another minute of time if you don't. 😞

T

Moves
18 May 08
1 edit

Originally posted by SwissGambit
What do you make of verses like:[quote]9 I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11 But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who ca hristian" churches follow Paul instead of Christ, but how many follow this policy?
Salvation through righteousness is the foundation of the teachings of Jesus.

"If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

"Not everyone who says to me,'Lord, Lord,' will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven; but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."

Unfortunately much of "Christianity" has deviated far from the path outlined by Jesus. That deviation seems to have started with Paul. The point is that many of the "Christian" churches do not follow the teachings of Jesus. How well they manage to follow Paul is unimportant.

Jesus taught salvation through righteousness. His teachings are logical, sound and cohesive. The world would be a much better place if people actually followed them.

Much of what Paul taught was illogical, unsound and contrary. His words read like someone trying to figure out which end is up. They also read like someone more concerned with gaining power and control than truth.

T

Moves
18 May 08
3 edits

Yes or no. Did Jesus appear to Paul, and did they speak to one another? Answer the question or don't bother posting a reply.

I won't waste another minute of time if you don't. 😞
You have a way of asking all the wrong questions. Perhaps it's the only way that you can continue with the rationalizations that constitute your belief system. It's not about feeling good or feeling secure. It's about TRUTH. The truth will make you free.

I don't think it's a coincidence that most of the scripture that you quote are the words of Paul. Try spending time with the words of Jesus instead. After all, He's the one you call "Lord".

"Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?" Luke 6:46

P

weedhopper

Moves
18 May 08

I know PinkFloyd. Just try to get a straight answer from thinkofone.
After reading all posts, I don't think you've gotten one yet. But be of good cheer--there is always hope. 😉