Moves
    05 Jul '05 21:361 edit

Nope, still a nice post by Dirac.

😛
  2. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 21:42
    Originally posted by bbarr
    First, I am not assuming that all prayers are requests. Second, some prayers certainly are requests. I am asking KellyJay about those prayers that are requests.
    Bbarr: "First, I am not assuming that all prayers are requests."

Yes, implicetely you were.

BBarr: "Second, some prayers certainly are requests"

Indeed.

BBarr: "I am asking KellyJay about those prayers that are requests."

Why do you do that, Smart Alec ? Why not include the non-request prayers ? Why make an explicite distinction all of a sudden ?

Are you working towards a, meaning your, conclusion or are you trying to discover the truth, Smart Alec ?
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 21:43

Nope, still a nice post by Dirac.

😛

..... think about it a few years ..... but maybe you'll need a few decades.
  4. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 21:45
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Bbarr: "First, I am not assuming that all prayers are requests."

Yes, implicetely you were.

BBarr: "Second, some prayers certainly are requests"

Indeed.

BBarr: "I am asking KellyJay about those prayers that are requests."

Why do you do that, Smart Alec ? Why not include the non-request prayers ? Why make an explicite distin ...[text shortened]... ing towards a, meaning your, conclusion or are you trying to discover the truth, Smart Alec ?
    Nope, I'm not making any such assumptions.

I am asking because I am interested in KellyJay's opinions concerning the efficacy of prayer requests, and how the institution of prayer requests dovetails with the view that God knows what is best and acts in a loving manner.

Do you have anymore one-liners or insults you'd like to post, troll?
  5. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 21:47

You are so loving, ivanhoe. A real testament to your faith. I think you should take a time out, and pray for guidance and forgiveness for your trollish behavior.
  6. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 21:54

Or, instead of asking God for forgiveness for your trespasses, you could attempt to contribute constructively to this discussion. If you have an objection to Dirac's post, then why don't you explain it? Why should any of us take your opinions seriously, if you are unwilling to defend them? If you keep acting like a spoiled child, ivanhoe, the adults here will have to treat you like a spoiled child, and ask you to sit quietly in the corner....

You don't want to have to sit in the corner, do you ivanhoe? Of course you don't. So, suck it up and try to act like an adult.
  7. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 21:58
    Nope, I'm not making any such assumptions.

I am asking because I am interested in KellyJay's opinions concerning the efficacy of prayer requests, and how the institution of prayer requests dovetails with the view that God knows what is best and acts in a loving manner.

Do you have anymore one-liners or insults you'd like to post, troll?

I see you are admitting I am right, right ? ....... Smart Alec and his porky pies ...... lol .......

For a Neo-Kantian you are damn materialistic in your thoughts, BBarr

...... and by the way, can't you recognise some sarcasm if you see it ?

C'mon, be a sport and admit I am right ....... 😉

8. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 21:59
    Or, instead of asking God for forgiveness for your trespasses, you could attempt to contribute constructively to this discussion. If you have an objection to Dirac's post, then why don't you explain it? Why should any of us take your opinions seriously, if you are unwilling to defend them? If you keep acting like a spoiled child, ivanhoe, the adults here ...[text shortened]... the corner, do you ivanhoe? Of course you don't. So, suck it up and try to act like an adult.

Teach is teaching again ...... you're not in front of your classroom, dude.
  9. London
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 22:07
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Ivanhoe, I am wondering if, in addition to a magesterium, you would agree that having a capacity to understand suffering from personal experience should be a prerequisite for a pastoral calling.
    I'm not sure about the personal experience bit, but I do think some degree of empathy is required.
  10. London
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 22:13
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac
    I have only heard of the dog dying through a phone call with my parents, so I don't know what my brother is thinking.

But my point was to broaden the discussion from mere human suffering to the suffering of all species that have nervous systems.

Here is a prayer that I think separates the men from the boys in the church:

[i]Lord, I know that You ...[text shortened]... hemselves to pray that prayer have some hope of coming over to the side of Rationalism some day.
    1. You assume that God "changed the rules of the Universe" following Original Sin.

2. You assume that it was God's choice to make all living things suffer.
  11. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 22:27

Teach is teaching again ...... you're not in front of your classroom, dude.
    If you don't want me to post pedantically, then stop acting like a remedial student. You do know how to contribute constructively to a conversation, don't you ivanhoe? I mean, if it was just a defecit in your education or socialization that brings about your trollish behavior, then we should treat you with sympathy, and try to remedy this defecit. So, your first lesson is this: If somebody posts something that you disagree with, stop and think about the post for a minute. Try to figure out just why you disagree with the post. Then compose a concise objection to that post, making sure to identify clearly to the author just why you disagree. If you do this, then we will all treat you like an adult.
  12. London
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 22:31
    I have only heard of the dog dying through a phone call with my parents, so I don't know what my brother is thinking.

But my point was to broaden the discussion from mere human suffering to the suffering of all species that have nervous systems.

[i]Lord, I know that You ...[text shortened]... hemselves to pray that prayer have some hope of coming over to the side of Rationalism some day.
    What makes human suffering different from the suffering of these other creatures?
  13. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 22:43
    If you don't want me to post pedantically, then stop acting like a remedial student. You do know how to contribute constructively to a conversation, don't you ivanhoe? I mean, if it was just a defecit in your education or socialization that brings about your trollish behavior, then we should treat you with sympathy, and try to remedy this defecit. So, yo ...[text shortened]... to the author just why you disagree. If you do this, then we will all treat you like an adult.
    BBarr: "If you don't want me to post pedantically, then stop acting like a remedial student."

I'm glad you admit you are posting pedantically, saves me the trouble pointing it out to you.
    Furthermore I am surprised you let others, in this case me, determine your behaviour. You're not Pavlov's dog, are you ?

By the way, I will react to a post the way I choose ..... and please, speak for yourself, dude.

Can you explain how your question about praying (request) fits in with the subject of this thread ?
  14. London
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 22:45

The answer, I suspect, lies in the [spiritual] anthropology of man.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 23:34
    Suppose, hypothetically, that God just stopped answering prayers. Would anybody be able to tell the difference? Would the world thereby be a worse place?

Alternatively, suppose, hypothetically, that everybody just stopped praying, and Christians realized that it is pretty silly to bother a perfect being with personal requests, and that it makes more sense just to trust in His judgement. Would the world thereby be a place?
    Yes, if God did stop after awhile God would be like Thor or other
    gods that are not real. The thing is bbarr, that God does answer
    prayers, the sinner's prayer being the most important for us at this
    moment. I'm quite sure that someone who does not know God, has
    never known God wouldn't think what I have just said will matter to
    much, because nothing in their lives would change since they want
    nothing to do with God.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree