1. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Oct '18 20:00
    "My Father's house has many rooms".

Is there a house (mansion) in the heavens? And a room waiting for us?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '18 20:15
    @chaney3 said

Why don’t you state your view first chaney3?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Oct '18 20:20
    @divegeester said
    Why don’t you state your view first chaney3?
    Okay.
    In a different thread, possibly yours, KellyJay made a very good point in saying that it's God, and all things are possible with God. (Paraphrase)

So maybe there is mansion(s) up there.....it's possible.

The reason I bring up KellyJay's comment is because sometimes the debates on this forum seem to diminish the fact that if God is truly God, then He can do whatever He wants, even though it may not make any sense to us.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '18 20:28
    @chaney3 said
    Okay.
    In a different thread, possibly yours, KellyJay made a very good point in saying that it's God, and all things are possible with God. (Paraphrase)

So maybe there is mansion(s) up there.....it's possible.

The reason I bring up KellyJay's comment is because sometimes the debates on this forum seem to diminish the fact that if God is truly God, then He can do whatever He wants, even though it may not make any sense to us.
    Well you must make your own mind up on what KellyJay believes is literal; multi headed beasts being ridden by whores, dragons, men with swords coming out of their mouths destroying nations, horseman of the apocalypse, bowls being poured out, giant locusts, beasts with lions heads, lakes of sulfur with people being boiled alive...it’s all literal you see.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Oct '18 20:33
    @divegeester said
    Well you must make your own mind up on what KellyJay believes is literal; multi headed beasts being ridden by whores, dragons, men with swords coming out of their mouths destroying nations, horseman of the apocalypse, bowls being poured out, giant locusts, beasts with lions heads, lakes of sulfur with people being boiled alive...it’s all literal you see.
    Yeah, I'm not sure why whores are involved, sounds more like a party than end times.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Oct '18 20:36
    @chaney3

The word used there is a plural form of the same word in singular in verse 23.

" ... We [Father and Son] will come to him and make an ABODE with him." (v.23)

So the many abodes of John 14:1 are the corporate reality of the Triune God making AN abode with many believers.

He is not talking about preparing mansions in heaven, hanging chandeliers, hanging luxurious curtains, and setting beautiful furniture in millions of "mansions" in heaven.

This is a natural human and unenlightened concept .

Jesus went to the cross to prepare a way for God to come into people to make an abode with each one. Together they constitute the Father's house.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '18 20:381 edit
    @chaney3 said
    Yeah, I'm not sure why whores are involved, sounds more like a party than end times.
    The whore of Babylon in Revelation. KellyJay will tell you she is a literal whore riding a literal beast. He will do this to maintain that these visions are as he puts it “it’s all literal, not metaphors”.

Then the lake of sulfur with all the billions suffering eternal torment can also be literal.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '18 20:391 edit
    @sonship said
    @chaney3

The word used there is a plural form of the same word in singular in verse 23.

" ... We [Father and Son] will come to him and make an ABODE with him." (v.23)

So the many abodes of [b]J ...[text shortened]... God to come into people to make an abode with each one. Together they constitute the Father's house.
    But Jesus said there are “many mansions”, don’t you accept what Jesus plainly says as begin literal sonship?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '18 20:41
    It’s strange that some of Jesus words are metaphorical, but other of his words, about being cast into a place called hell, for example, are literal.

Interesting.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Oct '18 20:47
    @divegeester

But Jesus said there are “many mansions”, don’t you accept what Jesus plainly says as begin literal sonship?

About 300 years ago in English, the word there legitimately MIGHT be translated as a word which we understand today to mean a large house - ie. a mansion.

That it HAS to be "mansions" is not the case.
    And here are some other renderings. of John 14:1.

But since you only read 10% of what I write you may not benefit from the information.

English Standard Version
    In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?

Berean Study Bible
    In My Father’s house are many rooms.

New American Standard Bible
    "In My Father's house are many dwelling places;

Christian Standard Bible
    In my Father's house are many rooms

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
    “There are many lodgings in my Father's house, and if not, I would have told you, because I go to prepare a place for you.”

So not all English versions read "many mansions".
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '18 20:51
    @sonship said
    @divegeester

About 300 years ago in English, the word there legitimately MIGHT be translated as a word which we understand today to mean a large house - ie. a mansion.

That it HAS to be "mansions" is not the case.
    And here are so ...[text shortened]... to prepare a place for you.”

[/quote]

So not all English versions read "many mansions".
    I see, “rooms” instead of “mansions”, that explains it I suppose.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Oct '18 20:533 edits
    @divegeester

It’s strange that some of Jesus words are metaphorical, but other of his words, about being cast into a place called hell, for example, are literal.

Interesting.

I don't understand your argument.
    And I don't see the need to make every thread you visit morph INTO this argument.

Jesus is "the Lamb of God."
    Of course that is metaphorical of Jesus being the Redeemer.
    He is not a little woolly creature with a tail because He is "the Lamb of God."

Your objection seems to boil down to - "Things I like are pretty literal. What I hate to believe is not possible to be spoken of symbolically or metaphorically."

Eternal punishment is capable of being DEPICTED in terms of a symbol or a metaphor. That fact, for many of us, does not cause the dread of such a situation to be unnecessary.

Why could not "lake of fire" be that and MORE ?
    By what rule is eternal punishment NOT suspect to also being pictured metaphorically?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '18 21:04
    @sonship said
    @divegeester
    I don't understand your argument.
    Well never mind, it is a bit complicated.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Oct '18 21:493 edits
    @divegeester

I don't understand why you think your argument is so effective to prove annihilation into non-existence of the eternally judged.

Just because metaphors and signs are in the book of Revelation ???
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '18 21:50
    @sonship said
    @divegeester

I don't understand why you think your argument is so effective to prove annihilation into non-existence of the eternally judged.

Just because metaphors and signs are in the book of Revelation ??? [/b]
    As you said, you don’t understand.
    I’m sure you were being honest.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree