1. Standard memberXYYZ
    The 'Fett'
    Phx
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 15:39
    @divegeester
    'principle' - noun, definitions: (1)MORAL RULE- a rule or belief that influences your behaviour and which is based on what you think is right.
    (2)BASIC IDEA- a basic idea or rule that explains how something happens or works.
    You typed, 'biblical principles'. Were you referring to the bible, 'IN principle'? When correctly used, explains that you agree with the idea or plan although you do not know the details or you do not know if it will be possible. Maybe you meant, the bible, 'ON principle'? Correctly used is very straightforward; If you refuse to do something on principle, you refuse to do it because you think it is morally wrong. I hope you can forgive MY lack of understanding in how you were using the word 'principles'. Although you did use the word in a rather vague manner, (it's ok, I forgive you).
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 16:17
    @xyyz said
    @divegeester
    Principals? There is a story in Corinthians about a man, caught gathering sticks (probably to make a fire for his family), on the Sabbath. The people of Moses asked God, "What should we do with him"? And this 'loving' Deity of the bible said, "Stone him to death". (I'm paraphrasing of course). Not a quick death, away from curious eyes (children), but in front of ...[text shortened]... tone...after stone. This is a principle I don't understand or would want to, if I had to live by it.
    Only you used the spelling 'principal' which is an entirely different word.

'Principal' definition:

First in order of importance.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 16:45
    @xyyz said
    @divegeester
    'principle' - noun, definitions: (1)MORAL RULE- a rule or belief that influences your behaviour and which is based on what you think is right.
    (2)BASIC IDEA- a basic idea or rule that explains how something happens or works.
    You typed, 'biblical principles'. Were you referring to the bible, 'IN principle'? When correctly used, explains that you agree with the id ...[text shortened]... word 'principles'. Although you did use the word in a rather vague manner, (it's ok, I forgive you).
    You conflated my use of biblical principle (spelling notwithstanding) whereby god does the work and we rest, into something of principle, moral, upstanding etc.

Debate if you want to but don’t be an arse, mr returning user...
  4. Standard memberXYYZ
    The 'Fett'
    Phx
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 17:31
    @divegeester
    My bad. One reply was spelled 'principal', and the other was 'principle'. I apologize for both my lack of attention to detail and my slightly misplaced levity of the word, 'principle'. Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I enjoy disagreeing with you, and the debates that follow. I will give any future correspondence between us the civility and respect it deserves.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 17:472 edits
    @xyyz said
    @divegeester
    My bad. One reply was spelled 'principal', and the other was 'principle'. I apologize for both my lack of attention to detail and my slightly misplaced levity of the word, 'principle'. Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I enjoy disagreeing with you, and the debates that follow. I will give any future correspondence between us the civility and respect it deserves.
    Thank you!

If you read my other forum contributions you will see that I’m a vocal critic of the ideology of the torturing God. In fact I have become a supporter in the general notion of the restoration of all things.

In short I adhere to and build much of my thinking around the fundamental truth in the scripture:

Mercy trumps over judgement
    James 2:13

Interestingly James is the book most “judgers” cite when talking about people not living up to expectations.
  6. Joined
    06 Nov '18
    Moves
    06 Nov '18 06:35

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree