John 14:5,6

John 14:5,6

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Jan 18
2 edits

Originally posted by @thinkofone
Why are you pretending that I haven't addressed this? I've posted the following more than a couple of times now:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not pretending.
I asked a question. And I assume your answer is in the negative since you don't believe Christ rose from the dead.

I don't doubt that you have some supposedly clever way to twist a "No" to something else.

Presumably the impetus for this thread came from our discussion in the "The Only Sin that God Cannot Forgive" thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I took up one question and started this thread on that one question.

There I posted the following:
"[In John 14:5-6] Jesus is speaking of the gospel that He preached during His ministry.He is speaking of the words He spoke while He walked the Earth."

---------------------------------------------------------
You never mention His walking on the Earth after His resurrection? Why?

You don't mention it because you don't believe the resurrection and are not a disciple of Jesus.

To that I'll add:
The words that Jesus spoke when he preached His Gospel during His ministry ARE "the way, and the truth, and the life". No one comes to the Father but through "the way, and the truth, and the life".

---------------------------------------------------

Those are the words Jesus spoke before His death.
And AFTER His resurrection He said something similar.

"And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.

Go therefore and disciple all the nations ..." (See Matthew 28:18,19a)

This is said by Jesus while walking the earth after His resurrection.

You are of all the nations, but so far you refuse to be a disciple of Jesus. Its not that hard to understand.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Jan 18
6 edits

Let's do the whole three verses.

"And Jesus came and spoke with them, saying,

All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.

Go therefore and disciple all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold I am with you all the days until the consummation of the age." (Matt. 28:18-20)

ThinkofOne does not believe that Jesus died a redemptive death.
ThinkofOne does not believe Jesus rose from the dead.
ThinkofOne doesn't believe Jesus walked on earth after He rose from the dead.
ThinkofOne doesn't believe that all authority in heaven and earth is in the hands of Jesus Christ.
And ThinkofOne doesn't believe that He is with His disciples all the days until the consummation of the age at the physical second coming of Christ.

And it goes without saying that ThinkofOne does not want to be a disciple of Jesus.

Moves
29 Jan 18

Originally posted by @sonship

Others have provided you an alternative explanation of "My Father's house". Tell us why what they put on the table is more believable then what I briefly presented.

Here's your chance to show a better explanation.[/b]
If you seriously want to 'discuss' this can you first indicate you recognise its contextual relation to Revelation 20:6:

'Blessed and holy is he that has part in the first resurrection: on such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.'

In other words, Christ was going out of his way to reassure his followers they would not only be with him after death but would take up positions of authority (like priests). - In this way, your beloved 'Father's House' is to be understood as the temple clearly referenced earlier in John 2:16:

'And said to them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father’s house an house of merchandise.'

Again, you have over complicated the meaning of the text. Jesus was merely using the 'temple language' due to its familiarity to the people who were hearing it. Nothing to do with an indwelling God. Indeed, the Bible says absolutely nothing about 'My Father's House' in relation to a heavenly destination.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Jan 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
If you seriously want to 'discuss' this can you first indicate you recognise its contextual relation to Revelation 20:6:
----------------------------------------------------------------
I recognize the contextual relation of John 14 to Revelation 20.,

Ghost -

'Blessed and holy is he that has part in the first resurrection: on such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.'

In other words, Christ was going out of his way to reassure his followers they would not only be with him after death but would take up positions of authority (like priests). - In this way, your beloved 'Father's House' is to be understood as the temple clearly referenced earlier in John 2:16:

'And said to them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father’s house an house of merchandise.'

Again, you have over complicated the meaning of the text. Jesus was merely using the 'temple language' due to its familiarity to the people who were hearing it. Nothing to do with an indwelling God. Indeed, the Bible says absolutely nothing about 'My Father's House' in relation to a heavenly destination.

You think so? Well, with the way you're examining the Scriptures maybe I should get out the way and let the Lord show you what He would you to see.

In a post below I'll comment some.

T

Moves
29 Jan 18
3 edits

[quote] [b] "And Jesus came and spoke with them, saying,

Go therefore and disciple all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold I am ...[text shortened]... f Christ.

And it goes without saying that ThinkofOne does not want to be a disciple of Jesus.
Believe that:
"Jesus died a redemptive death...Jesus rose from the dead...Jesus walked on earth after He rose from the dead...all authority in heaven and earth is in the hands of Jesus Christ... He is with His disciples all the days until the consummation of the age at the physical second coming of Christ".

Evidently the above is the definition of a disciple of Jesus according to the gospel preached by jaywill.

John 3
“Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin...If you [abide] in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free...The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever."

John 15
"If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you...that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned."

The above is the definition of a true disciple of Jesus according to the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry.

The definition of a true disciple of Jesus according to the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry is strikingly different from the definition of a disciple of Jesus according to the gospel preached by jaywill.

A true disciple must live, i.e. "abide in", the words spoken by Jesus when He preached His gospel during His ministry, stop committing sin and bear much fruit.

"He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Jan 18
1 edit

According to your view, Jesus words about destroying this temple and He raising it up in three days, are not very important. However they are central to the Gospel.

"The Jews then answered and said to Him, What sign do you show us seeing that you do these things? (v.18)

Jesus answered and said to them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. (v.19)

Jesus foretells His death and resurrection AND Jesus points BEYOND the physical temple Herod built to Himself as the real house of His Father.

You're implying that that's not too important.
John, underscores that it was not insignificant.

"But He spoke of the temple of His body. (v.21)

When therefore He was raised from the dead, His disciples remembered that He had said this, and they believed the Scripture and the words Jesus had spoken."(v.22)

Now, I grant that His mentioning of a building in John 14 is not explicit. But everything is not always said in one place in the NT. In Matthew He explicitly mentions that He will BUILD His church. And He is not talking about a physical temple.

" And I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will BUILD My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it." (Matt. 16:18)

The building of the church only commenced from the resurrection of Jesus and His coming to them as the Holy Spirit.

"I will give to you the keys of the kingdom of the heavens, ..." (v.19a)

Peter, the leading apostle was given the [plural] "keys" of the kingdom of the heavens. He used one key on the day of Pentecost to let the Jews into the church (Acts 2). And He used the other key in the house of Cornelius to let the Gentiles into the church (Acts 10).

The believers are priests all during the church age and it does not refer to their serving in a physical temple.

"You also ... are being built up a spiritual house into a holy priesthood to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ." (1 Peter 2:5)

In the millennium before the eternal age, some will be rewarded to enjoy more of what they ARE and HAVE BEEN through the church age - in an amplified way.

This "priesthood" promised as a reward is in the spiritual house, ie. the habitation of God in spirit that they are being built up into.

During the millennium there will be some remnant of Jews who will be the older style priests in the physical temple. The ones mentioned in Revelation 20 are Christians (from Jews or Gentiles) faithful during the church age.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Jan 18
3 edits

Nothing to do with an indwelling God. Indeed, the Bible says absolutely nothing about 'My Father's House' in relation to a heavenly destination.

There is plenty about the indwelling Spirit of God in John.

" ... If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink, He who believes into Me, as the Scripture said, out of his innermost being shall flow rivers of living water.

But this He said concerning the Spirit, whom those who believed into Him were about to receive; for the Spirit was not yet because Jesus had not yet been glorified." (See John 7:37-39)

" [O]ut of his innermost being " - this concerns the INDWELLING of the Triune God.

And again:

" But whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall by no means thirst forever, but the water that I will give him will become in him a fountain of water gushing up into eternal life." (John 4:14)

"[B]ecome IN him a fountain of water ... gushing up into eternal life" indicates the INDWELLING of the Triune God as well.

By the time of John 14 all of Christ's speaking of Him coming to be in them is consistent with things He spoke beforehand in the same Gospel.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Jan 18
3 edits

Nothing to do with an indwelling God. Indeed, the Bible says absolutely nothing about 'My Father's House' in relation to a heavenly destination.

Now I realize that you haven't paid too close attention to what I wrote. I never said anything about a "heavenly destination".

I said pretty much the OPPOSITE emphasis. I wrote that He was NOT talking about fixing up mansions in heaven when He said He was going away to prepare a place for them.

Go back and read it carefully. I wrote:

Christianity has usually misunderstood John 14:2,3 to mean something like this:

Jesus is going to Heaven to prepare mansions, luxurious large mansions for everyone. And they think for two thousand years Jesus has been there in Heaven preparing curtains, rugs, windows, and all the things that make beautiful physical mansions. Then He will come a second time and bring His saved people to their mansions in heaven.

This is a natural religious thought and not the revelation of the Bible.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Jan 18
1 edit

Indeed, the Bible says absolutely nothing about 'My Father's House' in relation to a heavenly destination.

The Bible does not say Heaven is the eternal destination of the saved.

The Bible says plenty about the believers being built up into the house of God - the living temple.

"Do you not know that you are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you." (1 Cor. 3:16)

"In whom you also are being built together into a dwelling place of God in spirit." (Eph. 2:22)

" ... I write that you may know how one ought to conduct himself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and base of the truth." (See 1 Tim. 1:15)

T

Moves
30 Jan 18

[quote] [b] "And Jesus came and spoke with them, saying,

Teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold I am ...[text shortened]... f Christ.

Believe that:
"Jesus died a redemptive death...Jesus rose from the dead...Jesus walked on earth after He rose from the dead...all authority in heaven and earth is in the hands of Jesus Christ... He is with His disciples all the days until the consummation of the age at the physical second coming of Christ".

Evidently the above is the definition of a disciple of Jesus according to the gospel preached by jaywill.

John 3
“Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin...If you [abide] in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free...The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever."

John 15
"If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you...that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned."

The above is the definition of a true disciple of Jesus according to the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry.

The definition of a true disciple of Jesus according to the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry is strikingly different from the definition of a disciple of Jesus according to the gospel preached by jaywill.

A true disciple must live, i.e. "abide in", the words spoken by Jesus when He preached His gospel during His ministry, stop committing sin and bear much fruit.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
30 Jan 18
1 edit

Believe that:

---------------------------------------------------------------

While Jesus walked the earth AFTER His rising from the dead, He instructed His disciples about the core essence of His ministry:

" And He said to them, O foolish and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken! Was it not necessary for the Christ to suffer these things and enter into His glory?

And beginning from Moses and from all the prophets, He explained to them clearly in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself." (Luke 24:25-27)

In His victorious resurrection, He reviewed with His disciples what He was all about. And this is what they were to go to the world to teach.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
30 Jan 18

After Jesus rose from the dead and began again to walk the earth, He explained what His work was and what the disciples were to do.

"And He said to them, These are My words which I spoke to you while I was with you, that all the things written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and Psalms concerning Me must be fulfilled.

Then He opened their mind to understand the Scriptures; And He said to them, Thus it is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise up from the dead on the third day,

And that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem..

You are witnesses of these things. And behold, I send forth the promise of My Father upon you, but as for you, stay in the city until you put on power from on high." (Luke 24:44-49)

We praise God for the instructions Christ gave as He walked the earth during the days AFTER His resurrection.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
30 Jan 18
7 edits

Originally posted by @thinkofone
-------------------------------------------------------------
The words of John 15 were spoke AS WELL as the words of Luke 24. There is no need to use one part to suppress the other part.

Both should be believed.
Both are crucial.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Luke 24 is of course "during His ministry".

ThinkofOne wants to define "during His ministry" selectively including only the words that his modernist de-mythologizing bias chooses.

There is no reason to think "His ministry" ended at death unless you simply don't believe the disciples' account and Jesus' own very words.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
30 Jan 18

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

John 15 is crucial and Luke 24 is also.

Don't trust any attempt of an unbeliever to argue that John 15 is essential to Christian discipleship but Luke 24 is not.

The person using this kind of logic, you can be sure, is opposing the ministry of Jesus Christ.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Indeed.

F

Moves
30 Jan 18
1 edit

You think so? Well, with the way you're examining the Scriptures maybe I should get out the way and let the Lord show you what He would you to see.
Ha ha ha, what a fantastic example of your pouting vanity! Bookmark this.

And even more exquisite when one considers what you then went on to do.