Judgement, Injustice, and love

Judgement, Injustice, and love

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
06 Nov 11

Luke 24:12: "Then arose Peter, and ran unto the sepulchre; and stooping down, he beheld the linen clothes laid by themselves, and departed, wondering in himself at that which was come to pass."

othonion; "the linen clothes" g3608
1) a piece of linen, small linen cloth
2) strips of linen cloth for swathing the dead

definition 1 does not apply in context, we must use definition 2.

John 19:40 "Then took they the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury."

othonion; "in linen clothes" g3608
once again, referring to strips of linen cloth.

John 20:6-7: "Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie,"

othonion; "linen clothes" g3608
once again, referring to strips of linen cloth.

no problems in translation, only problem in cognitive dissonance.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
06 Nov 11

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
oh yes, let's type every verse and ignore that they are available with a quick search, copy and paste. i'm sure that all the christians here type every verse without ever coping and pasting from online sources.

they are such cute little saints, these christians. always diligently typing the verses.
I get mine from http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/

I might type them out, but I might get them wrong, too, and we are exhorted not to add or remove words from God's scripture lest our name be removed from the book of life.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
06 Nov 11

Originally posted by Suzianne
I get mine from http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/

I might type them out, but I might get them wrong, too, and we are exhorted not to add or remove words from God's scripture lest our name be removed from the book of life.
not too bad. i don't think there is a better source than the blue letter myself.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/

though it defaults to KJV, this one has everything you could need right at your fingertips; , translation versions, lexicons, commentaries, co-relations and dictionary aids.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
06 Nov 11
1 edit

Luke 24:12: "Then arose Peter, and ran unto the sepulchre; and stooping down, he beheld the [b]linen clothes laid by themselves, and departed, wondering in himself at that which was come to pass."

othonion; "the linen clothes" g3608
1) a piece of linen, small linen cloth
2) strips of linen cloth for swathing the dead

definition 1 does n of linen cloth.

no problems in translation, only problem in cognitive dissonance.[/b]
Shroud usually refers to an item, such as a cloth, that covers or protects
some other object. The term is most often used in reference to burial sheets,
winding-cloths or winding-sheets, such as the famous Shroud of Turin or
Tachrichim (burial shrouds) that Jews are dressed in for burial. Traditionally,
burial shrouds are made of white cotton, wool or linen, though any material
can be used so long as it is made of natural fibre.

P.S. I pointed out before, "othonion" is singular and means a piece of linen.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
06 Nov 11

Not that I would ever be caught dead defending an atheist, but VS at least has the verses correct, and he even uses the KJV, which is my translation of choice.

One can only hope, that if he can present these few verses as portraying the truth, perhaps it's not so far a trek to consider other verses in the Bible as also portraying truth.

Not that I eve ...[text shortened]... e Son, and my salvation does not rest on a single piece of cloth, be it 2000 years old, or 500.
Not that I would ever be caught dead defending an atheist

What a curiously revealing statement about you. I'd more than happily defend you if i thought you were correct.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
06 Nov 11

Originally posted by sumydid
I'm kind of indifferent on it. The implications are pretty obvious. The figure looks like Jesus, etc. But I've been focusing primarily on the evidence against it, and so far none of it has held up to close scrutiny.
How do you know what Jesus looks like? Have you seen a photo.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
06 Nov 11

Originally posted by Proper Knob
[b]Not that I would ever be caught dead defending an atheist

What a curiously revealing statement about you. I'd more than happily defend you if i thought you were correct.[/b]
As would I, but guess what?

By your own definition, an atheist is defined by his very disbelief in God. That means that, no matter how you twist it, he's always going to be wrong.

I'd defend you IF you were correct, but you'd have to come to my side to be correct. And that means no longer being an atheist, by definition.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
06 Nov 11
1 edit

not too bad. i don't think there is a better source than the blue letter myself.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/

though it defaults to KJV, this one has everything you could need right at your fingertips; , translation versions, lexicons, commentaries, co-relations and dictionary aids.
Thanks for the link, I will check it out as soon as I can.

Edit: This site is quite extraordinary. I've been rather disenchanted really with the lame search features of the KJBO website. BLB is a revelation. Thanks again.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
06 Nov 11
1 edit

As would I, but guess what?

By your own definition, an atheist is defined by his very disbelief in God. That means that, no matter how you twist it, he's always going to be wrong.

I'd defend you IF you were correct, but you'd have to come to my side to be correct. And that means no longer being an atheist, by definition.
What a pompous, arrogant [insert any word you wish in here] you are. When it actually boils down to it, your just as big a fundamentalist as the other loonies on this site.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
06 Nov 11
2 edits

What a pompous, arrogant [insert any word you wish in here] you are. When it actually boils down to it, your just as big a fundamentalist as the other loonies on this site.
/shrug

If you think I'm an ass for this viewpoint, just wait until you face the God you've rejected.

It is what it is.

Edit: The difference is, when you finish talking to me, you can still repent and change your destiny.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
06 Nov 11

/shrug

If you think I'm an ass for this viewpoint, just wait until you face the God you've rejected.

It is what it is.
Point proven.

Smug, that's the word i was thinking of before. I notice it's much more a feature of the American Christians on this forum than any others. It's that whole 'Us vs Them' attitude that seems to permeate America.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
06 Nov 11

Point proven.

Smug, that's the word i was thinking of before. I notice it's much more a feature of the American Christians on this forum than any others. It's that whole 'Us vs Them' attitude that seems to permeate America.
I know. It is called "the ugly American", right?

rc

Moves
06 Nov 11
2 edits

Point proven.

its a really interesting point, I wonder what factors have led to such a kind of siege
mentality? I like Americans but i have noticed that they can be terribly right wing.
How was this mentality formed? I really wonder. One would think that being Christian
one should have an even more sensitive approach to the plight of others and a real
sense of social injustices, but its just the opposite, their experience, rather than having
made them more empathetic, seems to have hardened them. I should read a few
books on the subject.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
06 Nov 11

Point proven.

As does your incorrect assumption that there is no God resemble a certain "smugness". You assume that I'm just being a pompous ass because of this (to you) weird idea that you're going to pay a heavy price for your disbelief. Do you think I'm making it all up? Do you seriously think I'm holding myself up as a paragon of virtue while calling you scum of the earth while giggling up my sleeve? Do you think I'm telling you a fable to scare you into being righteous? I don't know you. It shouldn't matter to me what happens to you, and it definitely wouldn't matter to me, IF I had this attitude you've assigned to me. All I can do is be straight with you, tell you how it is, without embellishment and hope that if you don't like the sound of it you make changes. Why? Because I get more points on my Christian Frequent Flyer card? No. It's because as Christians, we are exhorted to Love thy Neighbor as thyself. I'm glad someone woke me up to God's plan for me when I was in college, and I've led many to Christ since then. It's the least I can do. There are many in this world leading lives that are marching them straight down into perdition. But it's even worse for atheists because they are rejecting the only thing that will save them, Christ's sacrifice on the cross. I pray daily that those who are blind are led to the light. And yes, I do mean atheists.

Like I said, it is what it is. Nothing more, nothing less.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
06 Nov 11
1 edit

As does your incorrect assumption that there is no God resemble a certain "smugness". You assume that I'm just being a pompous ass because of this (to you) weird idea that you're going to pay a heavy price for your disbelief. Do you think I'm making it all up? Do you seriously think I'm holding myself up as a paragon of virtue while calling you scum of t mean atheists.

Like I said, it is what it is. Nothing more, nothing less.
As does your incorrect assumption that there is no God resemble a certain "smugness".

The lunacy of this opening sentence says it all. This what you said in an earlier post

This supports my claim that there IS no proof of God. It's not possible.

So there is, by your own admission, no proof of God, and yet i'm smug for choosing not to believe whilst you are correct for believing. Righto 🙄🙄

I call you smug and arrogant for your continual disparaging comments about people who don't share belief in God, of which you've stated more than once there is no evidence for -

By your own definition, an atheist is defined by his very disbelief in God. That means that, no matter how you twist it, he's always going to be wrong. I'd defend you IF you were correct, but you'd have to come to my side to be correct. And that means no longer being an atheist, by definition.

A lazy atheist. Who'd've guessed?

What is more telling is that all of the arguments he presented were previously brought up in this forum by atheists. So much for "believing" in the Christ.

And that's just today, i'm sure a search of your posting history would reveal more. As for this -

Do you seriously think I'm holding myself up as a paragon of virtue while calling you scum of the earth while giggling up my sleeve?

Maybe not giggling up your sleeve, but yes, that's how you come across.