1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 19:25
    Which statement do you identify with best?

1. A loving God would not cast a punitive judgement upon me or anyone else.

2. A loving God would not turn a blind eye to injustice suffered by me or others around me.
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 19:26
    Originally posted by whodey

2. A loving God would not turn a blind eye to injustice suffered by me or others around me.
    Both....
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 19:35

Both.
    A just God would only cast punitive justice if it served some purpose (such as the punitive justice currently in most criminal justice systems.) The punitive justice described by most religions appears not to serve any reasonable purpose.
    A loving God would not allow much of the injustice suffered by me or others around me, unless ignoring it was either unavoidable or served some greater purpose that could not be obtained by a better method.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 21:21

Number 1 is false.
    Number 2 is true.
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 23:57
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Both.
    A just God would only cast punitive justice if it served some purpose (such as the punitive justice currently in most criminal justice systems.) The punitive justice described by most religions appears not to serve any reasonable purpose.
    A loving God would not allow much of the injustice suffered by me or others around me, unless ignoring it was either unavoidable or served some greater purpose that could not be obtained by a better method.
    "1. A loving God would not cast a punitive judgement upon me or anyone else.

2. A loving God would not turn a blind eye to injustice suffered by me or others around me."

This is your statement and the answer is both. He would not cast an unjust punishment but will still ask for justace when it applys.
  6. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 00:08
    Originally posted by galveston75
    "1. A loving God would not cast a punitive judgement upon me or anyone else.

2. A loving God would not turn a blind eye to injustice suffered by me or others around me."

This is your statement and the answer is both. He would not cast an unjust punishment but will still ask for justace when it applys.
    But #1 doesn't say unjust punishment, it says punitive judgment.
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 00:16
    Both.
    Unfortunately, the statement: "...unless ignoring it was either unavoidable or served some greater purpose that could not be obtained by a better method." gives theists that insipid little get out of jail free card which is *"God's" plans always server a greater purpose!*..Hell, god could gouge out the eyes of every baby living today and it would still just be a case of "the lord works in mysterious ways...we trust it's for the best!"
  8. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 00:301 edit
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Hell, god could gouge out the eyes of every baby living today and it would still just be a case of "the lord works in mysterious ways...we trust it's for the best!"
    Inane postulations such as these are pathetically absurd. For, in just your 2nd word, the existence of the God of the bible is already acknowledged. Therefore the rest of the statement is fallacious because (a) the God of the bible wouldn't do such a thing, and (b) even IF the God of the bible did it, by His very nature described in the bible, it absolutely WOULD be for the best... no trust required.
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 00:423 edits
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Inane postulations such as these are pathetically absurd. For, in just your 2nd word, the existence of the God of the bible is already acknowledged. Therefore the rest of the statement is fallacious because (a) the God of the bible wouldn't do such a thing, and (b) even IF the God of the bible did it, by His very nature described in the bible, it absolutely WOULD be for the best... no trust required.
    You have neither the credibility nor accuracy of reasoning to be taken seriously when you say my statement is fallacious. Implied in my first sentence (which went over your head) was the supposition of some god's existence * only for the sake of argument*. Your final sentence just affirms my prediction that some thoughtless theist would play that hackneyed defence, and moreover for someone who has the gall to talk about fallacies; how the hell can you conclude your god gouging out all babies eyes would be for the best if you also assert God would never do such a thing!??? 😕
  10. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 00:48
    Weak.

😴
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 00:551 edit
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Weak.

😴
    and if you know what's good for you you'll stay down
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 02:05
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Number 1 is false.
    Number 2 is true.
    So you don't believe God should or would ever cast punitive judgement?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 02:071 edit
    Both.
    I find myself agreeing with you in large part but wonder what you mean by most religions do not appear to serve any reasonable purpose.

Just remember if judgement was swift and certain you and I would probably not be sitting here today chatting.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 02:24
    Unfortunately, the statement: "...unless ignoring it was either unavoidable or served some greater purpose that could not be obtained by a better method." gives theists that insipid little get out of jail free card which is *"God's" plans always server a greater purpose!*..Hell, god could gouge out the eyes of every baby living today and it would still just be a case of "the lord works in mysterious ways...we trust it's for the best!"
    You are funny today. 😀
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 02:27
    You have neither the credibility nor accuracy of reasoning to be taken seriously when you say my statement is fallacious. Implied in my first sentence (which went over your head) was the supposition of some god's existence * only for the sake of argument*. Your final sentence just affirms my prediction that some thoughtless theist would play that hackneyed def ...[text shortened]... all babies eyes would be for the best if you also assert God would never do such a thing!??? 😕
    Another funny post. I can hardly stop laughing. 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree