1. Joined
    10 Jan '10
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 16:34
    I'm quite taken in by religion now and find myself thinging a lot about it.....would love to just ask some questions about some religions e.g. Buddhism, Hinduism, Islamic, Christian/Catholic. These questions will be in no way offensive just inquisitive but I have a lot of unanswered things!

Get back to me and give me a shout if you don't mind being interrogated...I quite like the idea of being converted ad truly believing, I want to just doesn't all make sense!

😀
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 17:38
    Originally posted by ich binimKopfweg
    I'm quite taken in by religion now and find myself thinging a lot about it.....would love to just ask some questions about some religions e.g. Buddhism, Hinduism, Islamic, Christian/Catholic. These questions will be in no way offensive just inquisitive but I have a lot of unanswered things!

Get back to me and give me a shout if you don't mind bei ...[text shortened]... the idea of being converted ad truly believing, I want to just doesn't all make sense!

😀
    This forum may actaully not be the best way to find answers as there are some on here who will not make your search and easy one. Some here are not God's friends.
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '10
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 18:57
    Originally posted by galveston75
    This forum may actaully not be the best way to find answers as there are some on here who will not make your search and easy one. Some here are not God's friends.
    hmmm, well can you provide an alternative???
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 07:38

Get back to me and give me a shout if you don't mind bei ...[text shortened]... the idea of being converted ad truly believing, I want to just doesn't all make sense!

😀
    I would be most happy to answer any questions, however the only religon I could trun you onto is your own. Your own religon may relate to one of the other religons but ultimately its your dealings with God that come first. Your dealings with other religous persons( or perhaps a church group) would come second.
  5. Joined
    20 Feb '10
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 08:57
    Originally posted by galveston75
    b]This forum may actaully not be the best way to find answers as there are some on here who will not make your search and easy one. Some here are not God's friends.[/b]

'Not God's friend' sounds like a badge I want to wear.
  6. England
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 10:25
    just ask on this site, im often suprised by the posts in reply.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 10:32

😀
    Do you think/believe/ know there is a creator "God"?

What's your gut feeling?

Are you really interested, or did you just post and run? (not meant as sarcasm)

This thread could be a good place to get some feedback if some of the others will participate. You can read opposing views and judge for yourself who has the most sound argument.

Ask questions and read.
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '10
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 22:58
    Originally posted by josephw
    Do you think/believe/ know there is a creator "God"?

What's your gut feeling?

Are you really interested, or did you just post and run? (not meant as sarcasm)

This thread could be a good place to get some feedback if some of the others will participate. You can read opposing views and judge for yourself who has the most sound argument.

Ask questions and read.
    Now then, I was brought up to believe heavily in science, the big bang theory etc which I do, very strongly but I also think there is a power, I don't think God is the right word but something - when I think about trees (don't laugh) and their ability to absorb the poisonous CO2 and release O2 that we need I can't believe that this was just an accident, somehing must have created this??? Reading up on the four religions that interest me most - Buddhist, Hindu, Christianity and Islamic I'm quite tempted to collaborate all four, attend all four religious gatherings, practise all of them and throw myself in head first. Still thinking on that one.

I'm extremely interested otherwise wouldn't have bothered to write the post and hope for answers.

I'm just not sure on the whole thing and would like someone to share why they think 'a power' or 'being' as prefer to refer to it as exists.

thanks

ich

😀
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Mar '10 00:52
    Now then, I was brought up to believe heavily in science, the big bang theory etc which I do, very strongly but I also think there is a power, I don't think God is the right word but something - when I think about trees (don't laugh) and their ability to absorb the poisonous CO2 and release O2 that we need I can't believe that this was just an accid ...[text shortened]... 'a power' or 'being' as prefer to refer to it as exists.

thanks

ich

😀
    I started thinking along similar lines to you.
    There is much good reading material within all those religons. Plenty of food for thought.
    But in the end, as I said before,you must become spiritually mature yourself. No one else can do it for you.
    Make a decision. Stick to it. See where it leads you. Then you will learn for sure.

And meditate.. Perhaps you could meditate on the trees and the amazing things they do for our planet. Or whatever.
    Good luck and remember when you are feeling the worst you are probably closest to 'God".
  10. Illinois
    Moves
    27 Mar '10 05:32
    Now then, I was brought up to believe heavily in science, the big bang theory etc which I do, very strongly but I also think there is a power, I don't think God is the right word but something - when I think about trees (don't laugh) and their ability to absorb the poisonous CO2 and release O2 that we need I can't believe that this was just an accid ...[text shortened]... 'a power' or 'being' as prefer to refer to it as exists.

thanks

ich

😀
    "My sheep know my voice, and I know them. They follow me, and I give them eternal life, so that they will never be lost" (John 10:26-28).

It is one thing to recognize the hand of God in nature. It is quite another to recognize the voice of the Lord in Christ Jesus. Recognizing the hand of God in nature may make you a deist, but recognizing the voice of the Lord in Christ Jesus will make you a Christian.
  11. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    27 Mar '10 06:40

thanks

ich

😀
    Your position is very common - this notion that there must be something more to the world than just what we see; some force, spirit, meaning, higher power.
    But simply having this sense doesn't make it true.
    I can swear sometimes that in my bedroom at night, someone is standing there. I turn on the light and there is no one. It was simply my imagination.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    27 Mar '10 06:44
    Originally posted by amannion
    Your position is very common - this notion that there must be something more to the world than just what we see; some force, spirit, meaning, higher power.
    But simply having this sense doesn't make it true.
    I can swear sometimes that in my bedroom at night, someone is standing there. I turn on the light and there is no one. It was simply my imagination.
    Or a grinning ghost.
  13. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    27 Mar '10 06:49

thanks

ich

😀
    I'm a science teacher and one of the classes I teach to secondary students is Astrophysics - a very cut down and simplified overview of space science. One of the areas we cover is the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, and I think there are some parallels to draw here.
    A classic argument for the existence of many alien civilisations goes something like this: I can't believe that we could be the only intelligent civilisation, there is so much space out there, there must be others.
    But where is the actual reasoning in this? Space is big so there must be things to fill it? Not terribly convincing, however much we might want there to be aliens.
    Back here on Earth, the fact that we are amazed by the intricacy of the natural world - the photosynthesis reactions for example - doesn't in and of itself mean that there is anything more, nor that this natural world was created.
    Of course, it doesn't mean it wasn't either.
    But I would suggest, and have argued this here before, that if you allow for creation - which seems to me to need something that operates outside of nature, ie. something supernatural - then you allow for anything to be possible. We don't get anything in nature, there are many limits and boundaries. That doesn't strike me as the work of a creator, since presumably a creator could do anything. Why not mammals with 10 legs and 6 eyes, or fish that can also breathe, or trees that walk and swim? The mere fact that the world does have limits suggests that there is no creator.
    You may feel comfort in believing otherwise, so go ahead ...
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Mar '10 09:38
    Originally posted by amannion
    I'm a science teacher and one of the classes I teach to secondary students is Astrophysics - a very cut down and simplified overview of space science. One of the areas we cover is the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, and I think there are some parallels to draw here.
    A classic argument for the existence of many alien civilisations goes something l ...[text shortened]... s that there is no creator.
    You may feel comfort in believing otherwise, so go ahead ...
    I feel discomfort in believing otherwise, but I will not deny my own experience.
    Your arguement is one of many possiblities to refute the supernatural.
    We are just at the frontiers of space . Outer and inner. And there are a great many things to learn.
    There is no need to change anything on the outside if you dont wish,amannion. True change is never forced.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Mar '10 14:54

thanks

ich

😀
    "Reading up on the four religions that interest me most - Buddhist, Hindu, Christianity and Islamic..."

You will find in Christianity two very important things the others do not emphasize. One is that we are sinners separated from God by sin. The other is that Jesus is the saviour.

You'll have to come to terms with your own condition first. You'll have to ask yourself whether or not you are a sinner and whether or not you need a saviour.

The other "faiths" will not "fix" the problem. They will only mask the symptoms. They cannot "cure" the disease.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree