1. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 01:18
    Originally posted by ich binimKopfweg
    Just to be clear I'm not searching for a cure or to comfort myself that when people die I will see them all at the Pearly White Gates simply exploring the possibilites and the way I'm coming to see it is: there is no harm in me personally exploring my own dimensions and perhaps believing in something else - I kow that no-one is suggesting that there ...[text shortened]... s you've died of boredom for my exceptionally long post.

😀

itchy bin
    meditation has different conceptual meaning to different adherents. For example there are those who advocate emptying the mind, those who advocate focusing on a specific point, those whose aim it is to transcend the self.

In a Biblical context it means entirely something quite different and literally means 'to talk with oneself', to mull things over in ones mind. It is important that we of course reflect, thus we need peace and quite, for if the surface of the water is perturbed (we are agitated or anxious) we get a distorted reflection. Secondly the pace of life can carry us as a river and before we know it, we have missed the beauty of the journey, thus we need to take time out for contemplation and reflection. It gives direction to our lives, helps us think about our aspirations, come to term with our anxieties, we learn from our mistakes in the past as we reflect on the experience, we consider the present and may even plan for the future. As you can see this is something quite different from uttering mantras and emptying the mind and is of immense practical value. There are so many different media vying for our attention that taking time out can be difficult, but worthwhile.
  2. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 01:37
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    meditation has different conceptual meaning to different adherents. For example there are those who advocate emptying the mind, those who advocate focusing on a specific point, those whose aim it is to transcend the self.

In a Biblical context it means entirely something quite different and literally means 'to talk with oneself', to mull things ...[text shortened]... different media vying for our attention that taking time out can be difficult, but worthwhile.
    nicely put
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 01:40
    Originally posted by duecer
    nicely put
    Hey dude thanks so much 🙂
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 04:392 edits
    I'm quite taken in by religion now and find myself thinging a lot about it.....would love to just ask some questions about some religions e.g. Buddhism, Hinduism, Islamic, Christian/Catholic. These questions will be in no way offensive just inquisitive but I have a lot of unanswered things!

Get back to me and give me a shout if you don't mind bei ...[text shortened]... the idea of being converted ad truly believing, I want to just doesn't all make sense!

😀
    Worship me!! 😠

Not interested, eh? Then try reading what Mohammad was about, what Buddha was about, and what Christ was about and decide whom is more worthy of your worship.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 06:39
    Originally posted by whodey
    Worship me!! 😠

Not interested, eh? Then try reading what Mohammad was about, what Buddha was about, and what Christ was about and decide whom is more worthy of your worship.
    Dont forget Lord Shiva
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '10
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 08:22
    Originally posted by whodey
    Worship me!! 😠

😀

I'm doing lots of reading on everything - I'm more likely to createa mass religion of the whole lot - I agree with different things from different ones!

would be nice to reach a state of complete calm but that takes years.....

😀
  7. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 10:48
    why does it have to be anywhere?
    what does it matter how you know what you know - I'm going for logic/emotion/opinion/experience/books!

I think you should help me

😀

now the post is vastly improved
    why does it have to be anywhere?
    The view from nowhere is a contradiction.

what does it matter how you know what you know -
    Considering the question might help you distinguish between those things which you have a good reason to believe, and those you don't.
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '10
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 13:23
    Originally posted by Lord Shark
    [b]why does it have to be anywhere?
    The view from nowhere is a contradiction.

what does it matter how you know what you know -
    Considering the question might help you distinguish between those things which you have a good reason to believe, and those you don't.[/b]
    😀

I meant why does my head have to be anywhere?!

Ok, so where are you getting your information from - discuss provenance!

I might try going to church next week when I get back - I don't think there are any mosques though...

😀
  9. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 15:42
    😀

I might try going to church next week when I get back - I don't think there are any mosques though...

😀
    I don't think I said your head had to be anywhere, although I suppose it must be somewhere. Where you are in your head is another matter. Perhaps you are away.

I think I have good reasons to suppose I get information from the world via my perceptual and cognitive apparatus, roughly speaking. But I asked you first, remember? How do you know what you know?

Really? Which flavour?
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '10
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 17:432 edits
    [b]I meant why does my head have to be anywhere?!
    I don't think I said your head had to be anywhere, although I suppose it must be somewhere. Where you are in your head is another matter. Perhaps you are away.

I think I have good reasons to suppose I get information ...[text shortened]... ek when I get back - I don't think there are any mosques though...[/b]
    Really? Which flavour?[/b]
    skipping the first bit - where do I get my info from??? This isn't about me proving my info it's about the little questions that pop up in my being and force themselves out. I'm the one asking the questions so I don't need to prove my data as it's for my benefit, I don't need to prove myself to myself.

I think you need to take a breather, clearly two posts in one day on this thread is sending you insane.

Now then people, any of you belong to the Islam faith????

😀
  11. Illinois
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 18:02
    [b]Your reasoning is flawed on two levels. (1) It is obviously untrue that we don't get anything in nature. Ich pointed out one: trees provide us with O2 to breathe. In fact, it could be said that nature provides us with everything we need.
    I think you haven't parsed this sentence correctly. Probably what was meant was that we don't ...[text shortened]... ently hitherto blind, as an opportunity to deliver a cosmic fine tuner argument. Smooth...[/b]
    😳
  12. Illinois
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 18:04
    Originally posted by amannion
    I think you missed the point of my emphasis on the word 'anything'. What I meant is that while we get many things, not everything is possible. We don't get just anything, we get a wide variety of things but these have their limits.
    There are many examples of this 'just right' phenomena. If our universe did not have these 'just right' scenarios then we woul ...[text shortened]... d for them - although we have some great arguments when I visit them for dinner.
    I'm sorry about the misunderstanding. Paul Davies is a fun read, BTW.
  13. Joined
    03 Apr '09
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 18:31
    Deep topic here from what I see...I am an atheist and as such do not believe in any higher being.

Now, I do not see why you would need to follow a particular religion. If you wish to believe, why not do so without the help of a religion, or church or holy book, created by humans? Religion in itself has done little good on this Earth, belief on the other hand is a much more worthy cause. Religion is a pretence of goodness, used for control. If you don't subscribe yourself to a religion, you would be able to look at God, or the idea of God, through a less flawed glass, and as such perhaps attain a deeper understanding of God.

Anyway, I don't know if my opinion is the best seeing as I don't believe, but it's what I would do if was in your place.
  14. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 18:43
    skipping the first bit - where do I get my info from??? This isn't about me proving my info it's about the little questions that pop up in my being and force themselves out. I'm the one asking the questions so I don't need to prove my data as it's for my benefit, I don't need to prove myself to myself.

I think you need to take a breather, clear ...[text shortened]... s sending you insane.

Now then people, any of you belong to the Islam faith????

😀
    I told you you wouldn't like it. Anyway, I wish you luck since with that attitude, you'll probably need it.

I think you need to take a breather, clearly two posts in one day on this thread is sending you insane.
    That's probably also something you think you know, but don't feel the need to justify. 🙂

By the way, the 'first bit' is just a play on your name.
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '10
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 20:25
    Originally posted by Ringwraith
    Deep topic here from what I see...I am an atheist and as such do not believe in any higher being.

Now, I do not see why you would need to follow a particular religion. If you wish to believe, why not do so without the help of a religion, or church or holy book, created by humans? Religion in itself has done little good on this Earth, belief on the othe ...[text shortened]... pinion is the best seeing as I don't believe, but it's what I would do if was in your place.
    Precisely what I'm looking for - opinions across the board.

thanks!!!

😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree