1. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 11:04
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Since Camels were domesticated there could have been selective breeding to produce variation within the species, but no evolving. When the common language was confused by God in order to spread out the people. Any of the people that had domesticated animals would have taken them with them.
    Breeding that produce variation is what it is to evolve, be it artificial or not. But you
    raise another question here. Did god confuse languages before or after the landmass was
    split up?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 11:073 edits
    Originally posted by C Hess
    Breeding that produce variation is what it is to evolve, be it artificial or not. But you
    raise another question here. Did god confuse languages before or after the landmass was
    split up?
    Before. By the way, did you know that man produced a large variety of dogs by selective breeding?

After the flood the people had one language and wanted to stay together, but God wanted them to spread out over the whole earth. So God confused their language so that there became several languages. The people that understood each other began migrating in different directions.

However, it appears that God wanted more separation by beginning the dividing of the earth during the days of Peleg.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 11:14
    The video address this very issue. If Noah had not considered llamas and camels to be the
    same species, then seeing as they are so similar, he would have to consider every cat-like
    animal unique, every dog-like animal unique, and so forth, until he would have to build an
    ark that could house literally millions of animals. Ken's organisation solved this ...[text shortened]... one cat-kind, one dog-kind and so on. Therefore, there can be
    only one llama-kind on the ark.
    Noah didn't send the creatures into the Ark God did! God would know what
    He wanted and why, Noah built it, God designed it and provided the all the
    creatures to ride in it, Noah didn't go looking for two of some seven of
    others.
    Kelly
  4. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 11:22
    Before. By the way, did you know that man produced a large variety of dogs by selective breeding?
    Of course I am, that was one of the best evidences for the evolutionary mechanisms back
    in Darwins own days.

Could you provide approximate dates for the following:

1. The flood
    2. Babel's tower
    3. Landmass dividing

Much appreciated.
  5. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 11:26
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Noah didn't send the creatures into the Ark God did! God would know what
    He wanted and why, Noah built it, God designed it and provided the all the
    creatures to ride in it, Noah didn't go looking for two of some seven of
    others.
    Kelly
    I'm sorry, but you keep missing the point. Whether god or noah selected the animals, the
    problem is the same. Either noah built a boat that could house literally millions of animals,
    or he didn't, and literally millions of different variations evolved after the flood. They're not
    all domesticated. The camels and llamas are just one example that happen to illustrate the
    problem quite well.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 11:352 edits
    Of course I am, that was one of the best evidences for the evolutionary mechanisms back
    in Darwins own days.

Could you provide approximate dates for the following:

1. The flood
    2. Babel's tower
    3. Landmass dividing

Much appreciated.
    I believe I remember someone posting a Biblical timeline somewhere on the internet. I will google for it.

Here is one timeline starting from creation:

1656 - Methuselah dies the same year as the flood comes, aged 969

1757 - Peleg is born (generation 15)

1996 - Peleg dies, aged 239 - this is the first death mentioned in the Bible after the flood

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Genesis_patriarchs

The incident known as the Tower of Babel took place when Noah was 940 years old—in the year 1996 since creation.

http://www.jewishanswers.org/ask-the-rabbi-3463/noah-tower-of-babel-population-growth/?p=3463

According to this the Tower of Babel incident took place the same year Peleg died. I thought it would have been before since it is mentioned before anything about Peleg.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 13:13
    I'm sorry, but you keep missing the point. Whether god or noah selected the animals, the
    problem is the same. Either noah built a boat that could house literally millions of animals,
    or he didn't, and literally millions of different variations evolved after the flood. They're not
    all domesticated. The camels and llamas are just one example that happen to illustrate the
    problem quite well.
    He didn't need to house millions, only enough to allow for the diversity of
    life we see today.
    Kelly
  8. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 14:261 edit
    He didn't need to house millions, only enough to allow for the diversity of
    life we see today.
    Kelly
    You won't win this argument, Charlie Hess! Logic has departed this discussion looong ago...

BUT let's try one more time....

As the narrator of the clip so aptly points out, the dilemma is as follows:

EITHER every kind of animal was in the ark, e.g. the llama, the vicuna, the one-humped camel and the two-humped camel (to name but one example) in which case the Ark DID have to house millions,

OR the Ark only housed one PROTOTYPE animal, e.g. the camel, in which case all the variations of camel had to appear in less than 5000 years, a hypothesis far more incredible than 'ol Darwin's.

So, KJ and RJH, which is it?
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 14:301 edit
    I believe I remember someone posting a Biblical timeline somewhere on the internet. I will google for it.

Here is one timeline starting from creation:

1656 - Methuselah dies the same year as the flood comes, aged 969

1757 - Peleg is born (generation 15)

1996 - Peleg dies, aged 239 - this is the first death mentioned in the Bible after the flood ...[text shortened]... eg died. I thought it would have been before since it is mentioned before anything about Peleg.
    mankind managed to recover after the flood in such a manner and so quickly as to make a building project so awesome that it pissed off god. it stands to reason that it was more impressive than the pyramids, since god didn't get upset with the egyptians over it.

yep, totally legit.
  10. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 17:33
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    mankind managed to recover after the flood in such a manner and so quickly as to make a building project so awesome that it pissed off god. it stands to reason that it was more impressive than the pyramids, since god didn't get upset with the egyptians over it.

yep, totally legit.
    The tallest buildings today dwarf the pyramids, which kind of makes you wonder just how
    high this tower of babels must have been. 😕
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 17:362 edits
    Originally posted by CalJust
    You won't win this argument, Charlie Hess! Logic has departed this discussion looong ago...

EITHER every kind of animal was in the ark, e.g. the llama, the vicuna, the one-humped camel and the two-humped camel (to name but one example) in whic ...[text shortened]... 5000 years, a hypothesis far more incredible than 'ol Darwin's.

I say that Noah took as many as God brought to him. I am sure God would know how many were needed and how many the ark could hold.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 17:46
    The tallest buildings today dwarf the pyramids, which kind of makes you wonder just how
    high this tower of babels must have been. 😕
    Well, it really wasn't the height of the tower at that time that bothered God. It was their potential if they remained together under one language, since they had vowed to remain together in one place. God wanted them to spread out and populate the whole earth.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 19:19
    Originally posted by CalJust

EITHER every kind of animal was in the ark, e.g. the llama, the vicuna, the one-humped camel and the two-humped camel (to name but one example) in whic ...[text shortened]... 5000 years, a hypothesis far more incredible than 'ol Darwin's.

I'm not here to win an argument, how do you win an argument about,
    "God did it!", you don't, you either simply accept or reject the text. Could
    God use a PROTYPE animal, well why not? If you accept He created them
    all, and set the rules on how they bred why couldn't He? He holds the
    whole universe together by the power of His Word, why would anything
    like that be beyond God?
    Kelly
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 19:21
    I say that Noah took as many as God brought to him. I am sure God would know how many were needed and how many the ark could hold.
    I don't know off the top of my head how large the ark was, but however
    large it was that size would limit the number on it.
    Kelly
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 21:351 edit
    I don't know off the top of my head how large the ark was, but however
    large it was that size would limit the number on it.
    Kelly
    The cubit is an ancient unit of length based on the length of the forearm from the elbow to the tip of the middle finger. Cubits of various lengths were employed in many parts of the world in antiquity, during the Middle Ages and as recently as Early Modern Times.

The earliest attested standard measure is from the Ancient Egypt and was called the royal cubit.

In Ancient Egypt, cubit rods were used for the measurement of length. A number of these have survived: two are known from the tomb of Maya, the treasurer of Tutankhamun, in Saqqara; another was found in the tomb of Kha (TT8) in Thebes. Fourteen such rods, including one double cubit rod, were described and compared by Lepsius in 1865. These cubits range from 523 to 529 mm (20.6 to 20.8 in) in length, and are divided into seven palms; each palm is divided into four fingers and the fingers are further subdivided.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubit

The Holy Bible records Noah's ark as being 300 cubits long, 50 cubits wide, and 30 cubits high.

This would make the ark 515 to 520 feet long, about 86 feet wide, and 51.5 to 52 feet high with 3 decks or floors.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree