1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 12:57
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    Please excuse my ignorance, but what are YEC's?
    Young Earth Creationist.
    Kelly
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 13:00
    Originally posted by CalJust
    Pudgenik, another interesting attribute of YECs is that they tend to call OTHER people stupid, pig-headed and a lot of other nasty epithets for NOT also believing this.

Go figure!
    You should work on this, I don't call other pig-headed or rail against them
    with nasty epithets. I may be angry from time to time and spout off, but
    I try very hard to remain respectful. You are doing not only me but a large
    number of others a great insult lumping us all together while you describe
    us that way.
    Go figure!
    Kelly
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 13:081 edit
    Based on your theory, of 6000 years ago, wouldn't all the stars and planets seem more like comets streaking away from their nucleus. Just to be in their place for us to observe? The stars of ancient times are recorded, yet they are the same as they are today. So for star gazers past and present, the stars didn't just blast away to their present location.
    Why, do you know how God did it? He spoke and they were there doing
    what they were there for. It would be again no different that creating Adam
    He did it and all of Adam's body parts were where they were supposed to
    be doing the functions they were designed for. With the stars it was written
    like this to shine upon the earth. So it did not matter how far away they
    where, like Adam's heart it was where it was supposed to be doing exactly
    what it was supposed to be doing.
    Kelly

Genesis 1:
    14 Then God said, “Let there be lights in the sky. These lights will separate the days from the nights. They will be used for signs to show when special meetings begin and to show the days and years. 15 They will be in the sky to shine light on the earth.” And it happened.

16 So God made the two large lights. He made the larger light to rule during the day and the smaller light to rule during the night. He also made the stars. 17 God put these lights in the sky to shine on the earth. 18 He put them in the sky to rule over the day and over the night. They separated the light from the darkness. And God saw that this was good.
  4. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 13:401 edit
    I don't have a problem with the idea that God could have created the world in 6 days, or even 6 seconds. I believe God's time is way different than our own. That the person who stated, "one day is like a thousand years to God" was trying to show, what is a day to an eternal being.

I believe that all the time we see in creation, billions of years, is no ...[text shortened]... ket to God.

But what I also believe in, is that we, His creation, are what He cherishes most.
    Very well put.

A very funny aspect of this whole doctrine (which many mainly American Christians believe) is that it forces them to admit that God has created Time and can manipulate it (so that the "old" appearance of the universe seems very "young" ) but then they stick to a rigid, 24 hour day 7 days for the entire creation!

But the only reason WHY they are forced into this ridiculous position, is because they cannot differentiate between poetry, doctrine and history in the Bible.
  5. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 13:43
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    You should work on this, I don't call other pig-headed or rail against them
    with nasty epithets. I may be angry from time to time and spout off, but
    I try very hard to remain respectful. You are doing not only me but a large
    number of others a great insult lumping us all together while you describe
    us that way.
    Go figure!
    Kelly
    OK, I accept that I generalised here, and I apologise. I don't think I have ever been insulted by you, specifically.

It may be because RJHinds is giving Christianity such bad press due to his creationist outbursts.

But yes, you are right in this and I will work on it.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 13:521 edit
    Why, do you know how God did it? He spoke and they were there doing
    what they were there for. It would be again no different that creating Adam
    He did it and all of Adam's body parts were where they were supposed to
    be doing the functions they were designed for. With the stars it was written
    like this to shine upon the earth. So it did not matter how fa ...[text shortened]... and over the night. They separated the light from the darkness. And God saw that this was good.
    The Bible said God created the stars. I see nowhere the Bible speaks of God creating the universe in the Genesis creation account. YECs like yourself have added that in.

What is likely and what also fits in with Genesis is that God had created the universe billions of years ago and in agreement with what we now know and now see with our eyes. However God could have created the Milky Way Galaxy more recently and within our galaxy alone there are around 300,000,000,000 stars. Quite likely those are the stars to which the Genesis account refer.

The problem with YECs is that you people have inherited the ignorance of the universe from early church doctrine. Now we know better about what is out there and how massive [beyond our ability to understand] the universe really is.

If God really did create the universe 6000 yrs ago, where was he and his entourage before that. God and all his heavenly host must number in the billions of beings. Is there another universe?
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 15:37
    Very well put.

A very funny aspect of this whole doctrine (which many mainly American Christians believe) is that it forces them to admit that God has created Time and can manipulate it (so that the "old" appearance of the universe seems very "young" ) but then they stick to a rigid, 24 hour day 7 days for the entire creation!

But the only reason WHY ...[text shortened]... osition, is because they cannot differentiate between poetry, doctrine and history in the Bible.
    God created the universe and in scripture told us how He did it, you reject
    that so His Word isn't good, than to cover your bases incase God wasn't
    lying you call God a trickster by making it appear old in your eyes.

If your pride is such that you make claims you cannot be wrong about this,
    than it will be on you not God. If you are not humble enough to
    acknowledge you don't really know that is an issue of pride nothing more.
    Kelly
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 15:38
    OK, I accept that I generalised here, and I apologise. I don't think I have ever been insulted by you, specifically.

It may be because RJHinds is giving Christianity such bad press due to his creationist outbursts.

But yes, you are right in this and I will work on it.
    Well, just so you know I'm in the same boat and fail there myself from
    time to time. Please, know I hold you in the highest regard!
    Kelly
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 15:40
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    The Bible said God created the stars. I see nowhere the Bible speaks of God creating the universe in the Genesis creation account. YECs like yourself have added that in.

What is likely and what also fits in with Genesis is that God had created the universe billions of years ago and in agreement with what we now know and now see with our eyes. However God ...[text shortened]... God and all his heavenly host must number in the billions of beings. Is there another universe?
    I claim to be a YEC, but I do not claim to know how old it is. For all I know
    the amount of time between Gen 1:1 and Gen 1:2 is billions of years! I do
    not know how old it is, nor have I ever claimed to. I do acknowledge that
    God does not need millions or billions of years to do what has been done.
    Kelly
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 16:14
    I claim to be a YEC, but I do not claim to know how old it is. For all I know
    the amount of time between Gen 1:1 and Gen 1:2 is billions of years! I do
    not know how old it is, nor have I ever claimed to. I do acknowledge that
    God does not need millions or billions of years to do what has been done.
    Kelly
    This is why you end up in so much unnecessary argument and toing and froing.

You are not a YEC by the standard definition. Here it is:

Young Earth Creationism (YEC) is the religious belief that the Universe, Earth and all life on Earth were created by direct acts of God during a relatively short period, between 5,700 and 10,000 years ago. Its primary adherents are those Christians and Jews who, using a literal interpretation of the Genesis creation narrative as a basis, believe that God created the Earth in six 24-hour days. Young Earth Creationists differ from other creationists in that they believe in a strict-literal interpretation of the Bible regarding the age of the Earth. This contrasts with Old Earth Creationists, who believe that the six creation days of the Book of Genesis may be interpreted metaphorically and who accept the scientifically determined age of Earth and the universe.

So what are you?
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 17:49
    This is why you end up in so much unnecessary argument and toing and froing.

You are not a YEC by the standard definition. Here it is:

Young Earth Creationism (YEC) is the religious belief that the Universe, Earth and all life on Earth were created by direct acts of God during a relatively short period, between 5,700 and 10,000 years ago. Its primar ...[text shortened]... who accept the scientifically determined age of Earth and the universe.

So what are you?
    I call myself a YEC, I don't care that I don't fit your standard definition as
    I don't think you care that you may not fit other's standard views on who
    is and is not a Christian. I believe it to be a young earth, I do not make
    the claims it is a factual statement, for me it is a matter of faith.
    Kelly
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 18:18
    Kelly
    Correct use of language eliminates misunderstandings. You apparently enjoy creating them.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 18:29
    Correct use of language eliminates misunderstandings. You apparently enjoy creating them.
    What is it you enjoy, trying to generate strife?
    Kelly
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 21:59
    Based on your theory, of 6000 years ago, wouldn't all the stars and planets seem more like comets streaking away from their nucleus. Just to be in their place for us to observe? The stars of ancient times are recorded, yet they are the same as they are today. So for star gazers past and present, the stars didn't just blast away to their present location.
    God could have done much of the stretching of the heavens at the time of creation before He created Adam. The stars that the astronomers report are moving away from us faster than the speed of light do not look like comets. They would only look like comets if they were streaking across the sky. But we were not there at creation to know, we can only ask questions and speculate on what God did not tell us.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 10:27
    Kelly
    I call myself a YEC, I don't care that I don't fit your standard definition or non-standard definition.

My definition of a YEC is someone who believes the Earth
    is only 4 billion years old ... which is young compared to the
    universe which I believe is 13 billion years old. I AM A YEC.

On second thoughts ... maybe it's better if we all use the same
    definitions for words and phrases .... (just a radical thought)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree