1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Dec '12 00:14
    Originally posted by FMF

In Grampy Bobby's "in whom or what would you (and your family) place your confidence and trust?" question, the "confidence and trust" he mentions apparently relates to telling himself he will have eternal life. So we can translate the OP as "If there were no Christ, what other figure promising eternal life would you believe instead?" It's a very specific question, it seems.
    FMF, premature to jump the gun or presume to translate. There'll be time enough for the (excellent)

gnawing question you've pondered and raise soon as we all get comfy within the harness of the OP.
    -
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '12 00:34
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Let's say there is no Christ...

If so, then in whom or what would you (and your family) place your confidence and trust?[/b]
    Well there is no Christ... So I don't have to suppose anything.

You need to be clearer (more specific and less abstract) about what you mean by "confidence and trust".

I don't know what YOU mean by those words.

But my first response is to say that I generally trust reality to continue being real... for a given value of trust.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '12 00:39
    JS (you, too, Wolfgang59), drive a specific automobile in which you place your confidence; you dine upon your wife's cooking whose cooking you trust; you work for an organization or group in whose market reason for being, mission statement or cause you believe in. Nothing tentative. No weasel words like 'tend' to trust or other vague verbal gestures. OP ...[text shortened]... Christ in whom or what would you (and your family) place your confidence and trust? (gb)
    -
    If you are asking "in what would you place absolute 100% trust and confidence?" (in which case you need
    to be clear and say so)...

Then My answer is that I place absolute trust and confidence ONLY in that which can be logically proven.

Which limits such trust to mathematics.

No matter the laws of physics or the nature of reality... 2+2 will always = 4

However nothing in reality (other than it's existence) can be known with absolute certainty.

Reality can only be trusted probabilistically.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '12 00:39
    FMF, premature to jump the gun or presume to translate. There'll be time enough for the (excellent)

gnawing question you've pondered and raise soon as we all get comfy within the harness of the OP.
    -
    What the "harness" is is made clear by your second post on the first page. No "jumping the gun" on my part: just my observation getting to the heart of what you're actually on about. It would seem your beliefs require shallow "comfy" thought games of this kind to sustain them.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '12 00:43
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    You need to be clearer (more specific and less abstract) about what you mean by "confidence and trust".

I don't know what YOU mean by those words.
    He's referring people having "confidence in their eternal address". It's in his second post on page 1.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '12 00:521 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    He's referring people having "confidence in their eternal address". It's in his second post on page 1.
    I read it...

There is (way) more than one way of interpreting it.

I choose not to assume anything and ask GB to clarify.

I don't have much hope for this as he seems next to incapable of writing a clear post,
    and seems to get most of his ideas from fridge magnets, but I do still have some hope.

EDIT: And I do have confidence in my 'eternal' 'address'...

The 'address' is non-existence. And the confidence is 1-epsilon.
    Where epsilon is really really really small. (to the point where it is really pointless to actually
    try to quantify it.)
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Dec '12 01:19
    If you are asking "in what would you place absolute 100% trust and confidence?" (in which case you need

Then My answer is that I place absolute trust and confidence ONLY in that which can be logically proven.

Which limits such trust to mathematics.

No matter the laws of physics or the nature of reality... 2+2 will al ...[text shortened]... ence) can be known with absolute certainty.

Some mathematics is imaginary. 😏
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '12 01:21
    I read it...

There is (way) more than one way of interpreting it.
    How many different ways of interpreting the term "eternal address", as Grampy Bobby uses it ad infinitum on this forum, can you think of?
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Dec '12 02:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes. It's a bait and switch I should have trusted him to perpetrate. 😉

I don't trust anyone, including me, to give me a permanent address anywhere. And I am fine with that. How's that, GB?
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Dec '12 02:402 edits

Which limits trust to mathematics.

No matter the laws of physics or the nature of reality... 2+2 will alway xistence) can be known with absolute certainty.

"No matter the laws of physics or the nature of reality... 2+2 will always = 4"

Untrue, depends on the nature of the axiom's dynamics and unit of measure.

RE: Two male rabbits plus two female rabbits may equal a million more rabbits.
    -
  11. Joined
    26 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '12 05:08
    Myself...? "Christ" is only an human archtype anyway, like all the biblical characters. And I believe the correct word is "was" rather than "is," since IF Yeshua of David actually existed, he will have been dead now quite some time, yes?
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Dec '12 05:43
    JS (you, too, Wolfgang59), drive a specific automobile in which you place your confidence; you dine upon your wife's cooking whose cooking you trust; you work for an organization or group in whose market reason for being, mission statement or cause you believe in. Nothing tentative. No weasel words like 'tend' to trust or other vague verbal gestures. OP ...[text shortened]... Christ in whom or what would you (and your family) place your confidence and trust? (gb)
    -
    Answered!
    a specific automobile
    my wife
    etc.
  13. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    18 Dec '12 06:34
    Hey, you old man, how are things going for you and your family with all the troubles in the news? By the way, your email address stopped working a few months ago. For awhile, I figured maybe you died and went to the Sicilian Variations Chess Club up there in the third skies. Then I thought, Nah, guy's much too higly rated to be allowed in there. Hmm, I ...[text shortened]... or mentor for patzers like me. Let's have a nice game of chess early in the new year. (gb)
    -
    Everyday I 'm dying, it's ok. My Maria is good too, everyday she 's shufflin; Greece goes down the drain, oh well.
    All the way from Scheveningen to Najdorf still gives this patzer the creeps, it still takes me 20+ moves to manage to breathe normally; but it feels comfortable now.
    A game would be fine
    the Chessboard a creative utopia remains
    linking every moment😵
  14. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    18 Dec '12 06:52
    [b]Let's say there is no Christ...

If so, then in whom or what would you (and your family) place your confidence and trust?[/b]
    Dokkodo😵
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Dec '12 07:00
    Originally posted by shiloh
    Myself...? "Christ" is only an human archtype anyway, like all the biblical characters. And I believe the correct word is "was" rather than "is," since IF Yeshua of David actually existed, he will have been dead now quite some time, yes?
    Didn't you hear? The Christ arose from the dead and ascended into the third heaven. He promised to one day return to rule the world from Jerusalem.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree