1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 May '12 01:561 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Where does it use the phrase 'rolled up'?
    I think he is referring to this translation from the King's James Version of the Holy Bible:

And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

(Revelation 6:14 KJV)

or Maybe from the New King's James:

Then the sky receded as a scroll when it is rolled up, and every mountain and island was moved out of its place.

P.S. No. It must be from the Watchtower translation:

And the heaven departed as a scroll that is being rolled up, and every mountain and [every] island were removed from their places.

(Revelation 6:14 NWT)
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    28 May '12 01:58
    The only thing wrong with that concept is the world has a habit of coming back to bite you in the butt. You figure, I can wait, now that I have thousands of years to play with, then you get caught in an avalanche......
    Not when God gets involved and the promisses he's made to protect us happens. Perhaps the next time we come to your door and offer you a free Bible study, they can show you the hope the bible holds out for our future. You just might like what you see....
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 May '12 03:51
    Originally posted by galveston75
    The thought of death urges one to assume a total plan for life. The vitality of death leads one to adopt an ideal or goal, an ideal life, or a major achievement as the purpose of existence. Through the vitality of death, one is able to see all events in life from the perspect..."

Why can't a person do any of these things without death in view? If ...[text shortened]... hink it was perfect. If not I know I could start over and keep retrying until it was perfect.
    I suggest that people give more time to thinking about the implications of life on earth without death. I will start a thread on the subject.
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    28 May '12 03:58
    Originally posted by JS357
    I suggest that people give more time to thinking about the implications of life on earth without death. I will start a thread on the subject.
    Should be interesting. But this living forever cannot happen with out God's help. So life as we know it would be much different then we know today...
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 May '12 12:26
    What makes you think we will run out of things to do? We have only scratched what the oceans hold. Scientist say we know more about the moon then we do our own oceans.
    We are still learning new things about our own bodies and are discoving new life on this planet everyday.
    Do you get tired of eating? Have you tried all the foods of the world yet and ...[text shortened]... all again and again.
    Wait until we can us all of our minds capabilities and in a good way.
    your answer shows a lack of understanding of what 'forever' is. all the things you have mentioned like exploring the seas and science and space could be done a googolplex times by each person and it would still be nothing compared to the vastness of 'forever'. i could try all the foods in the world in a few years, i could have sex with every woman that has ever lived, i could paint a pictures of everything in everyway, walk every dog, see every corner of the universe, drink every drink, live the life in real time of every person, animal and plant back to back, do it all again but this time with a funny walk, you could do anything you could imagine over and over again until you have exhausted every possibility and you would still have 'forever' stretching out before you relentlessly.
    of coarse the first few billion years might be fun and its great to spend so much time with loved ones, but once everything has been said and done a billion times and nobody has anything different to say or do, we have ceased to be individuals as there is nothing to separate ourselves from each other, thats when the madness would set in, we would be trapped in a prison we could not escape from.
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    28 May '12 12:352 edits
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    your answer shows a lack of understanding of what 'forever' is. all the things you have mentioned like exploring the seas and science and space could be done a googolplex times by each person and it would still be nothing compared to the vastness of 'forever'. i could try all the foods in the world in a few years, i could have sex with every woman that s when the madness would set in, we would be trapped in a prison we could not escape from.
    I think there are a couple of flaws in your argument here.
    One of them is, no matter how much memory capacity you brain has for past events and past experiences, because the brain is of finite size and the number of connections in the brain for encoding memory is finite, that capacity must be finite.
    Eventually your brain will run-out of space for more memories of those past experiences and any new ones will simply over-right some older memories.
    So you could have very similar/same experiences an infinite number of times but each time not have ant memory of having done it before so it would be as if you had never had that experience before even though, at some times in the distant past, you had! In this way, you could avoid ever getting bored of the same experiences.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 May '12 13:003 edits
    your answer shows a lack of understanding of what 'forever' is. all the things you have mentioned like exploring the seas and science and space could be done a googolplex times by each person and it would still be nothing compared to the vastness of 'forever'. i could try all the foods in the world in a few years, i could have sex with every woman that s when the madness would set in, we would be trapped in a prison we could not escape from.
    I think the believers are saying not to let our inability to understand how eternity could work, get in the way of imagining that it could work. They are saying God can and would see to it. Does one of the people who are saying it couldn't work eternally, have a reply to that?
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 May '12 13:05
    Should be interesting. But this living forever cannot happen with out God's help. So life as we know it would be much different then we know today...
    When you present a scenario of unending happiness are you presenting a scenario of constant happiness, without momentary anxieties, frustrations, or setbacks?
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 May '12 14:46
    When you present a scenario of unending happiness are you presenting a scenario of constant happiness, without momentary anxieties, frustrations, or setbacks?
    Apparently his god would heal each psychological boo boo as they happen, which of course, such a god would just love to be in the position of being the boo boo healer for trillions of immortal souls. Wouldn't you just love to be such a god?
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    28 May '12 14:59
    No I'm not implying that at all. Why would we still not get frustrated or unhappy or have setbacks in something we may be doing, like building a house? I never said we would be perfect mentally. We will always be learning on all subjects and will run into the same issues we do today when building something, or a piece of art work. I would venture to say that no artist that has painted with a brush really truly ever sat back when he was finished and said "it's perfect". There is always room for improvement and always will be.
    There will always be challenges because of that and like I said and have shown with the other post, our brain has the ability to never stop learning and imagining new things. Right now we have very little concept of what that will be like to finally have the full capacity of our brain processing. Our IQ's will probably be off the maps but each human will still be better at somethings then others.
    Plus a creator that has knowledge beyond anything we can imagine will see to it that we will always have more then enough to do.
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 May '12 15:00
    Originally posted by humy
    I think there are a couple of flaws in your argument here.
    One of them is, no matter how much memory capacity you brain has for past events and past experiences, because the brain is of finite size and the number of connections in the brain for encoding memory is finite, that capacity must be finite.
    Eventually your brain will run-out of space for more memori ...[text shortened]... distant past, you had! In this way, you could avoid ever getting bored of the same experiences.
    yes, we would be reduced to a goldfish in a bowl like existence, reliving the same experiences over and over, forgetting and doing it all again. doesnt sound like much fun.

the only was it could work would be if god altered us to not become bored, or made us constantly happy, all walking around on gods prozac, like a heavenly version of 'the stepford wives'
    how would god survive just watching over us repeating ourselves for eternity, at some point isnt he going to get bored?
    anyway you look at it is wrong, people on here can argue about evolution and historical evidence of jesus all day. but not one person on here can think of a way in which heaven could actually work.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 May '12 15:04
    Apparently his god would heal each psychological boo boo as they happen, which of course, such a god would just love to be in the position of being the boo boo healer for trillions of immortal souls. Wouldn't you just love to be such a god?
    Where I am going with this is to see of there are any such details available. I think there aren't; and I think that it is a fair position for the Bible-oriented proponents to take; that any such details are to be found in the Bible. This thread is still in the preliminary exploratory stages for me, but I have a feeling it's about over for not only the skeptics, but for the proponents of a world of unending happiness.
  13. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    28 May '12 15:122 edits
    yes, we would be reduced to a goldfish in a bowl like existence, reliving the same experiences over and over, forgetting and doing it all again. doesnt sound like much fun.

the only was it could work would be if god altered us to not become bored, or made us constantly happy, all walking around on gods prozac, like a heavenly version of 'the stepford us all day. but not one person on here can think of a way in which heaven could actually work.

the analogy is to quite right because a goldfish in a bowl presumably never has experiences that would be interesting to us nor a large variety of diverse complex experiences while we, if we live for eternity, may have interesting experiences for, say, the next million years before we start repeating some we have forgotten and we may constantly have a large variety of diverse complex experiences for that period.

We are also not trapped in the confinements of a bowl but rather are usually confined to a very large part of the whole of the Earth's biosphere which is quite a few orders of magnitude larger and gives us petty of different places to go to.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 May '12 15:24

the analogy is to quite right because a goldfish in a bowl presumably never has interesting experiences nor a large variety of diverse complex experiences while we, if w ...[text shortened]... otten and we may constantly have a large variety of diverse complex experiences for that period.
    It doesn't really matter, if we are constantly happy; that is all that need be provided. I think the idea is, God will see to it that you are happy, period, including taking care of all these details. Also, if you are worthy of endless happiness, you naturally won't want to get your happiness in any way that requires less than complete happiness at any time, for anyone who is in the same state of endless happiness as you are. just assume that any possible objection or problem with the concept is taken care of; in fact, bringing up these possible objections or problems is just Satan-inspired.
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 May '12 16:37

the analogy is to quite right because a goldfish in a bowl presumably never has experiences that would be interesting to us nor a large variety of diverse complex experiences

We are also not trapped in the confinements of a bowl but rather are usually confined to a very large part of the whole of the Earth's biosphere .[/b]
    what?? really?? a goldfish in a bowl has experiences that would be interesting to a human??? its an analogy, not a direct comparison.

goldfish have a memory span of a few months, meaning they can keep exploring there environment and be constantly entertained. a bit like a human out living there memory capacity and forgetting parts of the world and visiting them again. what a jolly good analogy, well done me.

what?? are we not trapped in a bowl!!! again its an analogy, it doesnt matter if the scale is different, its the principle of being trapped, you can be trapped in any space regardless of size.

some very bizarre analogy criticisms there mr humy, rather pedantic.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree