1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    28 May '12 18:08
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    your answer shows a lack of understanding of what 'forever' is. all the things you have mentioned like exploring the seas and science and space could be done a googolplex times by each person and it would still be nothing compared to the vastness of 'forever'. i could try all the foods in the world in a few years, i could have sex with every woman that ...[text shortened]... s when the madness would set in, we would be trapped in a prison we could not escape from.
    So I'm taking your comments and thoughts that living forever does not interest you?
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 May '12 18:08
    Originally posted by galveston75
    No I'm not implying that at all. Why would we still not get frustrated or unhappy or have setbacks in something we may be doing, like building a house? I never said we would be perfect mentally. We will always be learning on all subjects and will run into the same issues we do today when building something, or a piece of art work. I would venture to say ...[text shortened]... ond anything we can imagine will see to it that we will always have more then enough to do.
    That's an interesting world you have in mind. I have never heard of this before. So it is much like the world we are in now, except that life-ending events, and therefore, efforts to prevent them, are not present. Will there be births? If you fall from the roof of that house you are building, can you break an arm? If so, what happens if you fall from the roof of a 40-story building?
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    28 May '12 18:491 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    That's an interesting world you have in mind. I have never heard of this before. So it is much like the world we are in now, except that life-ending events, and therefore, efforts to prevent them, are not present. Will there be births? If you fall from the roof of that house you are building, can you break an arm? If so, what happens if you fall from the roof of a 40-story building?
    Thanks. To answer your question about births let's just go back to the Bible. God did tell Adam & Eve and their offspring to fill the earth. If they had not sinned and died as a result of that, they would still be alive today as well as everyone born from then till now. That sounds like a lot of people but science says that probably there has been as many people die that are alive now. So if that is correct that would mean about 16 billion? Could the earth handle that many people? Sure if all the surface of the earth were fertile and could produce food. But God said to fill the earth so that would indicate that at that time before the flood, all the earth could have been used by humans unlike today.
    But again he said to fill it, not over fill it. But from that point the Bible gives no clue to his plans for us to keep reproducing or not. But I have faith that no matter what we do, it will be directed by God and will be for the good.

The Bible says there will be no more pain or sorrow in that world but that is referring to the mental anguish that humans suffer today with death sickness and the cruel rules of man.
    So yes we can still get hurt or else God would not have created us to heal and repair ourselves when we do. Accidents will still happen but a few things to consider is that we will be perfect physically and will be much more intellegent mentally. Again the Bible is not clear so we just don't know at this time but he promisses no more death. So either thru his protection or us being wiser so to say and not getting into situations that are dangerous or a combination of that and who knows what else will be factored in, life will be safer for us.
    It's these things your'e asking about that to me make living forever very exciting. If it was this world we live in now that I had to live forever in, I may not jump on that option either. But with the earth being beyond what we've ever seen or known, I'm waiting to see how it will come about and to have questions I have finally answered.
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    28 May '12 19:092 edits
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    what?? really?? a goldfish in a bowl has experiences that would be interesting to a human??? its an analogy, not a direct comparison.

goldfish have a memory span of a few months, meaning they can keep exploring there environment and be constantly entertained. a bit like a human out living there memory capacity and forgetting parts of the world and ...[text shortened]... pace regardless of size.

some very bizarre analogy criticisms there mr humy, rather pedantic.
    It is the massive differences in scale, both temporal and spacial, and the massive differences in the variety and complexity of the experiences and the massive differences in memory capacity that is what makes me think it an unfair analogy.
    My life can be vastly more interesting than what it would be if I was stuck inside a fish bowl.
  5. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    28 May '12 20:171 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The other Bible version do not say any thing about "Jehovah" in them. Do they?

P.S. When the Gentiles heard this - Heard that the gospel was to be preached to them. The doctrine of the Jews had been that salvation was confined to themselves. The Gentiles rejoiced that from the mouths of Jews themselves they now heard a different doctrine.
    When the Gentiles heard this - Heard that the gospel was to be preached to them. The doctrine of the Jews had been that salvation was confined to themselves. The Gentiles rejoiced that from the mouths of Jews themselves they now heard a different doctrine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khazars

I know you like a good lnk and read it carefully because you said so.

The Jews actively proselytized from about the second Century BC and had converts throughout the Mediterranean at the time of the Roman Empire. It was the Christians who, once they established their power in the later empire, enforced on the Jews a commitment to stop proselytizing and in time this was politically essential for their survival under conditions of dire oppression at the hands of Christians, though conversion and intermarriage never ceased completely.

Perhaps the largest conversion, however was the Khazars between the 8th and 10th centuries. I quote from the link:

After fighting the Arabs to a standstill in the North Caucasus, Khazars became increasingly interested in replacing their Tengriism with a state religion that would give them equal religious standing with their Abrahamic neighbors. During the 8th century, the Khazar royalty and much of the aristocracy converted to a form of Judaism.[17] Yitzhak ha-Sangari is the name of the rabbi who converted the Khazars to Judaism according to Jewish sources.

Khazars were judged according to Tora (orders of the Khagan; coming from the root Tora meaning customs; unwritten law of people in Old Turkic) (Modern Turkish: Töre), while the other tribes were judged according to their own laws.[14]

Being a surprisingly tolerant and pluralistic society, even its army incorporated Jews, Christians, Muslims and Pagans at a time when religious warfare was the order of the day around the Mediterranean and in Western Europe. By welcoming educated and worldly Jews from both Christian Europe and the Islamic Middle East, Khazars rapidly absorbed many of the arts and technologies of civilization. As a direct result of this cultural infusion, they became one of the very few Asian steppe tribal societies that successfully made the transition from nomad to urbanite. Settling in their newly created towns and cities between the Caspian Sea and the Crimean Peninsula on the Black Sea, they became literate and multi-lingual agriculturalists, manufacturers and international traders.[19]

Between 965 and 969, Khazar sovereignty was broken by Kievan Rus. Sviatoslav I of Kiev defeated them in 965 by conquering the Khazar fortress of Sarkel. Two years later, Sviatoslav conquered Atil, after which he campaigned in the Balkans.

The false information on which you rely (and it is interesting to demonstrate a direct, intentional falsehood in Christian scriptures) is also a component of the modern invention of political Zionism and the so called "right of return" for Jews around the world to join in the Jewish settlement of Palestinian land. The notion that modern Jews are the direct descendents of the Jewish population of Palestine is a travesty and a nonsense. The people best able to claim that direct descent from the Jews of ancient times are the Palestinians and today they are largely of the muslim faith. If anything, the Jews of Russia and Eastern Europe are more likely to be descended from the Khazars, while others are descended (if not from more recent converts) from the many converts around the Roman Empire. This is why, for example, there is no genetic test capable of identifying a Jew, and no other biological test either, to the frustration of Zionist extremists and of course, especially in the past hundred years, to other racists.
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 May '12 21:08
    Originally posted by humy
    It is the massive differences in scale, both temporal and spacial, and the massive differences in the variety and complexity of the experiences and the massive differences in memory capacity that is what makes me think it an unfair analogy.
    My life can be vastly more interesting than what it would be if I was stuck inside a fish bowl.
    As an art student many years ago i did a sculpture of a fish tank resembling my room in halls of residence with a live goldfish swimming in it as an analogy to how the room and life in halls felt. The scale was all wrong the fish behaved nothing like me. did this fail then as an analogy? i was really proud of it at the time.
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 May '12 21:10
    So I'm taking your comments and thoughts that living forever does not interest you?
    ha! i see you picked up on my subtle indications on how i feel about the subject.

would you want to live forever?
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 May '12 21:201 edit
    No I'm not implying that at all. Why would we still not get frustrated or unhappy or have setbacks in something we may be doing, like building a house? I never said we would be perfect mentally. We will always be learning on all subjects and will run into the same issues we do today when building something, or a piece of art work. I would venture to say ond anything we can imagine will see to it that we will always have more then enough to do.
    A mind without the Holy Spirit cannot comprehend spiritual things and has no hope of understanding God’s Word—the Bible. It is only through the indwelling of the Spirit that one is able to understand the mind of God.
    (1 Corinthians 2:9-16)

Do you understand that Jesus was not crucified on Friday?
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 May '12 21:433 edits
    Thanks. To answer your question about births let's just go back to the Bible. God did tell Adam & Eve and their offspring to fill the earth. If they had not sinned and died as a result of that, they would still be alive today as well as everyone born from then till now. That sounds like a lot of people but science says that probably there has been as man , I'm waiting to see how it will come about and to have questions I have finally answered.
    OK I think I understand the scenario. I remember futuristic predictions that we would be jetpacking around in the year 2000, and sure I wanted to be there when it happened. So I can understand your reaction to the idea of this future world. I suppose the people who really believe its going to happen, and believe the other things and do the other things they need to do, will be the ones to be there. (Edit after RJ's comment: If there is a "there" for them to be there in.)
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 May '12 21:59
    OK I think I understand the scenario. I remember futuristic predictions that we would be jetpacking around in the year 2000, and sure I wanted to be there when it happened. So I can understand your reaction to the idea of this future world. I suppose the people who really believe its going to happen, and believe the other things and do the other things they need to do, will be the ones to be there.
    How about all those Jehovah's Witness farmer who refused to plant crops because the end was supposed to have come that year according to the predictions of the Watchtower Society? And how about the people who were convinced by the Watchtower that they should not get married or continue there education, but enter full time ministry by going door-to-door preaching the Watchtower messages? Should they have stayed with the JWs no matter what they were being taught, like letting ones new born baby die by refusing a blood transfusion to save the babies life?
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 May '12 22:17
    How about all those Jehovah's Witness farmer who refused to plant crops because the end was supposed to have come that year according to the predictions of the Watchtower Society? And how about the people who were convinced by the Watchtower that they should not get married or continue there education, but enter full time ministry by going door-to-door prea ...[text shortened]... t, like letting ones new born baby die by refusing a blood transfusion to save the babies life?
    Well then, I guess you don't count them as believing and doing what they need to believe and do to be there, do you?
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    29 May '12 00:07
    A mind without the Holy Spirit cannot comprehend spiritual things and has no hope of understanding God’s Word—the Bible. It is only through the indwelling of the Spirit that one is able to understand the mind of God.
    (1 Corinthians 2:9-16)

Do you understand that Jesus was not crucified on Friday?
    What? You come up with some strange stuff.
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    29 May '12 00:09
    How about all those Jehovah's Witness farmer who refused to plant crops because the end was supposed to have come that year according to the predictions of the Watchtower Society? And how about the people who were convinced by the Watchtower that they should not get married or continue there education, but enter full time ministry by going door-to-door prea ...[text shortened]... t, like letting ones new born baby die by refusing a blood transfusion to save the babies life?
    Stop hijacking this thread...............That is rude dude.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 May '12 05:48
    Stop hijacking this thread...............That is rude dude.
    That is what happened to some of the JWs in the past that wanted to live forever in paradise.
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    29 May '12 06:01
    One word: Flubberoleum.

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree