1. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 02:221 edit
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    Point being darling?
    the first thing you learn is science doesnt't have LAWS ,,only degrees of certainty.. the second is math is the language of Theoretical Physics .
    Besides that we have a good deal more information on the origins of the bible god and the stories in Genesis and it's very apparent that accuaracy wasn't the bible writers goal. Any reasearcher that just assumes some assertion is true isn't really doing research.
    For example: If you read about Xiasudra's flood you know right away it is the source of the biblical flood story, but that doent make you believe in Enlil, Enki and the rest of the Chaldean gods.
    now for the point: There is nothing written in stone and that includes the bible.

edit there was only one flood the hit the Tigris valley lol

2. In your face
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 02:28
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    the first thing you learn is science doesnt't have LAWS ,,only degrees of certainty.. the second is math is the language of Theoretical Physics .
    Besides that we have a good deal more information on the origins of the bible god and the stories in Genesis and it's very apparent that accuaracy wasn't the bible writers goal. Any reasearche ...[text shortened]...
    now for the point: There is nothing written in stone and that includes the bible.

I have to agree. Which is why i keep an open mind. All i was saying is that i used to believe that science and maths could explain everything. Now i am not so sure.
    Also you will find that i never once mentioned the bible in my reasoning. As i said, i have no fixed faith, i just believe that there has to be more to this 'thing' than meets the eye. more than can be explained away with numbers and concepts.
  3. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 02:53
    I have to agree. Which is why i keep an open mind. All i was saying is that i used to believe that science and maths could explain everything. Now i am not so sure.
    Also you will find that i never once mentioned the bible in my reasoning. As i said, i have no fixed faith, i just believe that there has to be more to this 'thing' than meets the eye. more than can be explained away with numbers and concepts.
    You might want to look into Deism , it avoids the myths and doesn't fight with science.
  4. Arizona, USA
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 03:34
    I remember seeing a program on TV years ago about primates (can't remember which species) living in the wild. A youngster had fallen out of a tree and broken its arm, and was crying in pain. Its mother tried to comfort it by picking it up and holding it, but this just made the pain of the injury that much worse. It developed gangrene and eventually died. I myself, around the age of ten, fell when a eucalyptus branch broke under my feet, and broke my forearm, so I know from personal experience how it feels to fall like that.

So how about this: a species of vegetation that grows preferentially in the shade of trees and in the shade at the base of cliffs. It would grow several feet thick and would have the consistency of foam rubber. It would be like having living high-jump pits under the dangerous spots in the environment. Would it prevent all injuries due to falls from high places? Probably not. But it would prevent some of them. I submit that a world just like ours, but with in addition the plant species I have thought of, would be a slight improvement over the actual world.
  5. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 05:10
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac
    I remember seeing a program on TV years ago about primates (can't remember which species) living in the wild. A youngster had fallen out of a tree and broken its arm, and was crying in pain. Its mother tried to comfort it by picking it up and holding it, but this just made the pain of the injury that much worse. It developed gangrene and eventually died. ...[text shortened]... dition the plant species I have thought of, would be a slight improvement over the actual world.
    We have no idea what kind of impact that would have on the enrinment. What if, to preserve its consistency, it needed 20 times the nutrients most other species did? What if it destroyed other plant life around it and disturbed the food chain at a fundamental level?
  6. Arizona, USA
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 05:12
    Originally posted by Darfius
    We have no idea what kind of impact that would have on the enrinment. What if, to preserve its consistency, it needed 20 times the nutrients most other species did? What if it destroyed other plant life around it and disturbed the food chain at a fundamental level?
    Do you think that those were obstacles that God found insurmountable?
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 05:13
    Originally posted by Scheel
    Pain and suffering would not exist, so nothing people does in my universe would cause pain and suffering.
    Are you having trouble with understanding the concept ? Do not despair - nobody said it would be easy to understand the full glory of my creation.
    I'd make a universe without pain and suffering but with extensive pleasure and happiness.
  8. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 05:51
    Do you think that those were obstacles that God found insurmountable?
    No, I think He fine-tuned everything to the best it could possibly be, for love of us.

Imagine you're a father. Imagine you come upon your little girl attempting to sow a button onto a shirt. She doesn't see you and you watch as she pokes herself. The wound begins to bleed and you want to rush up and help her. But you hold back. After a bit of crying, she attempts to thread the needle again and sows the button. You walk up and she proudly holds it out to you. She's a lot happier than she would have been if you had rushed up to her moment of pain and interrupted her surprise for you.

What people sometimes don't realize is that Earth is not our final destination. Earth is a training ground to prepare us for something much better. Much more rewarding. And how do you learn best? Through adversity? I know I've often looked back on what I thought were the worst of times, and realized I grew because of it.

God is there with us even in the very worst of times. He was there with the old timer who shivered in the cold in Auschwitz, hoping he'd come to Him before he took his last breath. He was with the ambitious junior executive on the 70th floor of the World Trade Tower while he called his wife to tell her he loved her, comforting him with the knowledge that He'd comfort her and welcome him home soon.

And most importantly, God isn't a cold observer to our suffering. He entered the world Himself to take it upon Himself. To PROVE His love for us. When Jesus cried out "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" He had taken on ALL of the sins of mankind, and ALL of the suffering as a result. He felt ALL of our pain. And He felt the worst pain of all, because He lost contact with the Father for that moment. He lost ALL happiness and ALL joy.

And He did it for love of us.
  9. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 05:52
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I'd make a universe without pain and suffering but with extensive pleasure and happiness.
    How? Please tell us HOW people.
  10. Arizona, USA
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 07:31
    ...Earth is not our final destination. Earth is a training ground to prepare us for something much better...
    By "us" you of course mean humans. Let me ask you, is Earth the final destination for a chimpanzee who dies from infection five days after getting a compound bone fracture?
  11. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 11:15
    [b]No, I think He fine-tuned everything to the best it could possibly be, for love of us.

God is there with us even in the very worst of times. He was there with the old timer who shivered in the cold in Auschwitz, hoping he'd come to Him before he took his last breath. He was with the ambitious junior executive on the 70th floor of the World Trade Towe ...[text shortened]... er he loved her, comforting him with the knowledge that He'd comfort her and welcome him home soon.
    To demonstrate his REAL love, he should made Hitler's plane crash during the 1936 elections and kill him. Then HE would not have worried about how the 1 million souls felt at Auschwitz.

And perhaps he could have let the twin towers stand just another few hours before crashing to the ground.

An omnipotent LORD who plays cruelly with his toys...
  12. In your face
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 16:07
    If it was not for pain and discomfort then we would not fully appreciate pleasure and positive feelings. There would be nothing but apathy. A great nothingness of numbness.
  13. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 21:05
    Originally posted by Maustrauser
    To demonstrate his REAL love, he should made Hitler's plane crash during the 1936 elections and kill him. Then HE would not have worried about how the 1 million souls felt at Auschwitz.

And perhaps he could have let the twin towers stand just another few hours before crashing to the ground.

An omnipotent LORD who plays cruelly with his toys...
    Would Hitler have had free will if God had killed him?
  14. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 21:06
    By "us" you of course mean humans. Let me ask you, is Earth the final destination for a chimpanzee who dies from infection five days after getting a compound bone fracture?
    Yes. Animals lack souls.
  15. SubscriberScheel
    Knight
    h8
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 21:18
    If it was not for pain and discomfort then we would not fully appreciate pleasure and positive feelings. There would be nothing but apathy. A great nothingness of numbness.
    No that is not true !

It's the equivelent of saying that you can only appreciate a sunny day if you have lived through a wet and cold winter here in Copenhagen.
    Or that you can only appreciate a good meal if you have known starvation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree