1. In your face
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 21:32
    Originally posted by Scheel
    No that is not true !

It's the equivelent of saying that you can only appreciate a sunny day if you have lived through a wet and cold winter here in Copenhagen.
    Or that you can only appreciate a good meal if you have known starvation.
    Okay, point taken, but this negativity certainly increases our appreciation of goodness. I live in sunny Manchester in England and when we get the slightest little bit of sunshine everyoine is on a real high. Likewise, if i have gone with out food for an unusual amount of time, luckily this is rare, then agood meal is so much better. Perhaps going without is a good reminder of how lucky we are sometimes.
  2. SubscriberScheel
    Knight
    h8
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 22:13
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    .... Perhaps going without is a good reminder of how lucky we are sometimes.
    And here we certainly agree.
  3. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    27 Mar '05 12:47
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Would Hitler have had free will if God had killed him?
    God ordered the slaughter of thousands of people (see OT for examples - maybe a good place to start would be the Medianite kiddies), so what does your god care for free will?

As I said, your god plays cruelly with his toys.
  4. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    27 Mar '05 19:09
    Originally posted by Maustrauser
    God ordered the slaughter of thousands of people (see OT for examples - maybe a good place to start would be the Medianite kiddies), so what does your god care for free will?

As I said, your god plays cruelly with his toys.
    Well, the people who were executed for their vile crimes used their free will for evil. Are you suggesting that the evil never be punished???

Oh my...
  5. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Mar '05 19:40
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I'd make a universe without pain and suffering but with extensive pleasure and happiness.
    As they are polar opposites, how can you have the one without the other? Without pain, pleasure is meaningless and unachievable.
  6. SubscriberScheel
    Knight
    h8
    Moves
    27 Mar '05 19:56
    Originally posted by eagles54
    As they are polar opposites, how can you have the one without the other? Without pain, pleasure is meaningless and unachievable.
    Here we go again.

No that is not true !

It's the equivelent of saying that you can only appreciate a sunny day if you have lived through a wet and cold winter here in Copenhagen.
  7. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Mar '05 20:06
    Here we go again.

No that is not true !
    Pain and pleasure are not mutually exclusive. As with any pair of so-called opposites, they are interdependent and arise one in accord with the other.

Hate to tell you, it is true.
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    27 Mar '05 21:28
    Here we go again.

No that is not true !

What makes you so sure that it is not true? If you had not experienced a cold day, how would you know what a sunny day was in terms of appreciation? And although starvation is over-doing it, if you had not tried a bad meal, how would you know what a good meal tasted like?
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    27 Mar '05 21:30
    Originally posted by eagles54
    Pain and pleasure are not mutually exclusive. As with any pair of so-called opposites, they are interdependent and arise one in accord with the other.

Hate to tell you, it is true.
    Surprised to see you championing 'comparison' eagles 🙂
  10. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    27 Mar '05 22:171 edit
    For all of you atheists who just hate this one, this is your chance to make a better universe than God.

What would you change/add/take away?
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy says:

'In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.'

I would get rid of it altogether. (Although I'm not at all sure what that would leave behind...)
  11. Copenhagen
    Moves
    27 Mar '05 23:25
    For all of you atheists who just hate this one, this is your chance to make a better universe than God.

What would you change/add/take away?

Have fun.
    I would make all people intelligent, then they wouldn't need religion to explain their world.

12. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    28 Mar '05 00:11
    I would take away any mention of an afterlife - face facts you live once make the most it because you'll be dead soon.

Relgious judgements wouldn't be need to be made. The person who needs to get divorced because their spirit is being crushed they would be able to divorce easily.

Gays could celebrate true freedom.

Society would be the judge of its peers on a consensus moral framework.

I would like to live in society that is truly secular, where there is mutual respect between the religious and the non religious, I hope we can all co-exist peacefully.

13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    28 Mar '05 04:05
    How? Please tell us HOW people.
    I cannot make universes. Therefore I cannot give an answer as to how I'd do so. This thread has an implicit assumption that those who post are capable of making universes, right? Otherwise what's the point of this thread? To give emphasis to the fact that humans cannot make universes?
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    28 Mar '05 04:07
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    If it was not for pain and discomfort then we would not fully appreciate pleasure and positive feelings. There would be nothing but apathy. A great nothingness of numbness.
    I don't think this is true. Pain and pleasure do not depend on one another. They are independent sensations; one can experience neither one, both of them simultaneously, or either one or the other.
  15. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    28 Mar '05 12:45
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I don't think this is true. Pain and pleasure do not depend on one another. They are independent sensations; one can experience neither one, both of them simultaneously, or either one or the other.
    How would you identify pleasure as being pleasurable without the contrast of experientially knowing pain? ATY, if you lived in a world outside of dualities where you and all inhabitants only experienced what in this sphere is called 'pain,' you would not define it as such because there would be no opposite sensation to contrast it with. If then you experienced lessening values of the fundamental sensation, you would have to ascribe the increasing values of 'pleasure' to them as they as are the marked absence of the fundamental sensation, which in turn creates the dualistic sensation identified as 'pain.'

How would you know the value of 'east' without contrasting it with the values of north, west, or south? East arises in interdependence with north, west, and south.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree