1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Jun '14 19:28
    Originally posted by redbadger
    that is an opinion nothing more or less.
    Just saying.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Jun '14 19:34
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Intuition is something that has to be trained. It improves with experience, someone with formal training in a subject develops intuition so that, as an example, they are able to intuit the problem with a statement rather than having to calculate or use some other formal technique. In physics it is well known that provided any conservation laws are not ...[text shortened]... cy, is energy, charge, spin.

Also even highly developed intuitions are occasionally fallible.
    I have formal training and was an instructor in the U.S. Army Signal School at Fort Gordon.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jun '14 01:48
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I have formal training and was an instructor in the U.S. Army Signal School at Fort Gordon.
    I pity your poor students.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Jun '14 09:12
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I pity your poor students.
    I didn't have youtube videos then.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jun '14 15:48
    I didn't have youtube videos then.
    Ok students, here is the flag for J, here is the flag for E, here is the flag for S, here is the flag for U, here is the flag for S (just wanted to repeat that for some reason.....
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    15 Jun '14 15:52
    I'll remember not to argue with you about the effects of water vapour on the propagation of microwaves then. This should mean you understand electromagnetic radiation in the microwave bands, the tricky part being what the atmosphere does to it. This does not qualify you to make statements about what happens in the gamma ray region. Your intuition will not be applicable there.

Going back to the bit you wrote about light (page 5 post 2), it was Maxwell who identified oscillations in the electromagnetic field as light, it goes back to before quantum theory. Yes, in the standard model photons are massless, experimental bounds give it a mass less than about 10^-18 eV. But matter is not defined as something that has mass, I know more about this than the person who wrote your dictionary.

In physics there are particles and fields. The big division is between fermions (electrons, protons and so on) and bosons (photons, W and Z particles, gluons, and if it exists the graviton). The difference is in their spin. One could argue that to be classed as matter a particle has to be fermionic, but really I think this is a pointless definition.

The W and Z particles have mass, but act as field carriers, they are the equivalent of photons for the weak nuclear force. If you class them as matter you really have to class photons as matter.

Elementary particles in the standard model acquire mass because they are coupled to the Higgs boson, so your definition of matter amounts to "something that interacts with the Higgs Boson", which is a pretty odd definition of matter.

The particle theory definition of matter, in so far as we have one, is that physical particles are matter because we can detect them using particle detectors of one form or another, and virtual particles are what create fields and we can't directly detect them.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Jun '14 19:172 edits
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I'll remember not to argue with you about the effects of water vapour on the propagation of microwaves then. This should mean you understand electromagnetic radiation in the microwave bands, the tricky part being what the atmosphere does to it. This does not qualify you to make statements about what happens in the gamma ray region. Your intuition will ...[text shortened]... form or another, and virtual particles are what create fields and we can't directly detect them.
    The article that I was quoting from stated that photons of light is a form of energy and have no mass. And I noticed that the definition of matter, which must occupy space and have mass, excludes energy as being matter. I did not determine this on my own, because I did not do the science. Also I was not an instructor in unproven theory, but in proven practical operation.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jun '14 19:43
    The article that I was quoting from stated that photons of light is a form of energy and have no mass. And I noticed that the definition of matter, which must occupy space and have mass, excludes energy as being matter. I did not determine this on my own, because I did not do the science. Also I was not an instructor in unproven theory, but in proven practical operation.
    It has been known to scientists matter and energy are interchangeable and the latest theory boys have worked up a way that theoretically photons hitting a target in a pretty complicated setup can end up creating a mass particle. It is up to the experimental lads to set up the actual experiment but radiation and matter are related on a fundamental level.

For instance, to go from matter to light, you take say, an electron and it's antiparticle called a positron and when they meet they convert all the energy and mass into electromagnetic radiation, in this case a very high frequency called gamma radiation, very very short wavelength. That proves mass can change into radiation and now they are set to go the other way.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Jun '14 19:561 edit
    It has been known to scientists matter and energy are interchangeable and the latest theory boys have worked up a way that theoretically photons hitting a target in a pretty complicated setup can end up creating a mass particle. It is up to the experimental lads to set up the actual experiment but radiation and matter are related on a fundamental level.

...[text shortened]... wavelength. That proves mass can change into radiation and now they are set to go the other way.
    I am not saying that a bomb can not give off energy when it explodes or that we don't have different forms of energy, like light. However, I have never seen light turned into matter. I will believe it when I see it. The fact that plants use light energy and water in their growth process is not what I am referring to. I want to see the light alone turned into matter.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jun '14 23:00
    I am not saying that a bomb can not give off energy when it explodes or that we don't have different forms of energy, like light. However, I have never seen light turned into matter. I will believe it when I see it. The fact that plants use light energy and water in their growth process is not what I am referring to. I want to see the light alone turned into matter.
    So are a lot of other people. The theoretical way has been paved. like I said, it is up to the experimental crowd to show it can be done for real.

Personally, I don't think you would admit it could be done after it is proved it can be done. You will just rationalize it all away like you do everything else real.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 00:14
    So are a lot of other people. The theoretical way has been paved. like I said, it is up to the experimental crowd to show it can be done for real.

Personally, I don't think you would admit it could be done after it is proved it can be done. You will just rationalize it all away like you do everything else real.
    I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.
  12. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 03:311 edit
    Originally posted by redbarons
    humans create matter from light(becoming Gods)
    becoming gods, NO. more like expanding our minds to understand the depth of the universe.

I believe God allows all to happen. The billions of years and beyond for creation. And why not, God being eternal, what is a billion years but a drop in the bucket the size of an ocean.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 21:22
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    becoming gods, NO. more like expanding our minds to understand the depth of the universe.

I believe God allows all to happen. The billions of years and beyond for creation. And why not, God being eternal, what is a billion years but a drop in the bucket the size of an ocean.
    But a billion years is not a drop in the bucket to us, because we can't last a billion years. If God wants to save the human race he must do something quickly because our DNA is mutating too quickly to last more than a few thousand years. Contrary to what evolutionists say mutations don't make anything better, but makes it worse.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 22:39
    But a billion years is not a drop in the bucket to us, because we can't last a billion years. If God wants to save the human race he must do something quickly because our DNA is mutating too quickly to last more than a few thousand years. Contrary to what evolutionists say mutations don't make anything better, but makes it worse.
    So you figure you are worse off than Neandertals?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree