1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 May '14 13:40
    humans create matter from light(becoming Gods)
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 May '14 14:11
    Originally posted by redbarons
    humans create matter from light(becoming Gods)
    Could you maybe provide a link to exactly what you're "on" about?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 May '14 14:18
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Daily mail Science link American scientists to create matter from light(photons)you smash them together and hey presto a sub atomic particle is created.I didn't mean the god bit obviously because if he made us and we create matter its really him working his mystical ways through us.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 May '14 16:21
    They keep saying 'created' but matter can't be created nor destroyed. Maybe 'transformed' is a better word choice?
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    19 May '14 16:26
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    They keep saying 'created' but matter can't be created nor destroyed. Maybe 'transformed' is a better word choice?
    Energy can neither be created or destroyed.

Matter is simply one form of energy, and very much can be created and destroyed.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 May '14 16:32
    you might be right its 30 years since I studied physics but I do remember the steady state theory that being there will at some point be a time when the universe becomes entropic ie no reaction between molecules etc. not sure photons have a mass they probably do maybe you could educate us.🙂
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 May '14 16:33
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Energy can neither be created or destroyed.

Matter is simply one form of energy, and very much can be created and destroyed.
    Interesting. I seem to remember 'matter cannot be created or destroyed' from thermodynamics but that's been changed to energy now (or the source I learned it from never had it right in the first place 😛)
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 May '14 16:37
    Interesting. I seem to remember 'matter cannot be created or destroyed' from thermodynamics but that's been changed to energy now (or the source I learned it from never had it right in the first place 😛)
    Tungusta they reckon was anti-matter wiping out matter in effect destroying each other.
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    19 May '14 16:44
    Tungusta they reckon was anti-matter wiping out matter in effect destroying each other.
    No, Tunguska was a small asteroid/comet impact.
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    19 May '14 16:48
    As far as chemistry is concerned, matter is never created or destroyed, only
    it's form is changed.

In physics however, matter is a form of energy [E=MC^2] and matter can be
    converted into energy and energy into matter.

This happens all the time in particle accelerators.

And all the matter in the universe was created from the energy of the big bang.
    Most of that matter destroyed itself in matter/anti-matter annihilations within a
    fraction of a second after the big bang, leaving the light which eventually became
    the background radiation from the big bang that we still detect today.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 May '14 17:06
    No, Tunguska was a small asteroid/comet impact.
    think your wrong but wont argue its pointless
  12. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    19 May '14 17:161 edit
    It was hypothesised that it was an antimatter meteor that exploded in
    Tunguska back in the 50's, but that hypothesis is no longer entertained.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 May '14 17:241 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I posted the article it came from but in science. Look there. It seems a scientist named Wheeler and some of his buddies predicted light could become matter when two beams interact but at very high energy. That was in 1934.

ATT they thought that was all just theoretical and all but now 80 years later they are pretty sure they have an experimental handle on the process using today's lab equipment with no new generation of technology involved.

It still has not been done but the theory guys worked out a process that they think will end up generating an electron and it's associated anti particle, the positron but like I said it has not been done as of today.

In a year maybe.

BTW, about Tunguska, it was not an impact. It was more like the one that went over Russia recently that had atomic bomb level power.

But Tunguska was a huge bruiser, with 10 or 20 MEGAtons of power, it didn't hit the Earth, it didn't HAVE to, just the passage through the atmosphere was enough to cause havoc. It would have KILLED an entire city if one had happened to have been there when it exploded. It was in totally desolate ground so not much was destroyed and I think only one or two fatalities.
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    19 May '14 17:242 edits
    The Tunguska event featured a megaton TNT range atmospheric detonation
    which had considerable vertical and lateral momentum.

To reproduce the blast patten seen you need a considerable mass travelling at
    a large velocity impacting at a particular angle. [Appx 45 deg]

Simply detonating an equivalent sized nuclear warhead at that altitude would not
    achieve the effects actually seen.

An anti-matter [AM] explosion of that magnitude would require only a few grams of AM
    and couldn't have the momentum needed to cause the effects seen.

This coupled with the extreme unlikelihood of an antimatter lump of even a few
    grams existing in a galaxy full of matter, let alone hitting the Earth...

It was a comet/asteroid.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 May '14 19:01
    The Tunguska event featured a megaton TNT range atmospheric detonation
    which had considerable vertical and lateral momentum.

To reproduce the blast patten seen you need a considerable mass travelling at
    a large velocity impacting at a particular angle. [Appx 45 deg]

Simply detonating an equivalent sized nuclear warhead at that altitude would no ...[text shortened]... existing in a galaxy full of matter, let alone hitting the Earth...

It was a comet/asteroid.
    I'll second that. Anti-matter comes in at about 1 part in 10 billion. Not too likely for any of it to get together in one lump by itself.

It is present as a dilute, VERY dilute, gas.

The fact it is so dilute means the atoms of whatever anti stuff it is can hardly EVER get close enough to clump.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree