1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 09:58
    I'm thinking of giving a weekly meditation class in ym back yard.
    What do you guys think?

(I'm not selling anything, questions may be answered by anyone in the congregration and there will only be a small donation to cover teas and coffee for afterwards.)

I'm thinking 25-30 min meditation to start and then just a bit of chat and tea, but if a core group return regularly, I might make it an hour.

Any suggestions?
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 15:52
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    What do you guys think?

(I'm not selling anything, questions may be answered by anyone in the congregration and there will only be a small donation to cover teas and coffee for afterwards.)

I'm thinking 25-30 min meditation to start and then just a bit of chat and tea, but if a core group return regularly, I might make it an hour.

Any suggestions?
    Who are you?
    😵
  3. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 20:42
    This is how you should meditate: http://www.memoryverses.org/how3.shtml
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 22:51
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Who are you?
    😵
    self styled bhoddisattva,inspired by Lord Shiva.
    But no one really, I just thought we might assist eachother if we all tried to forget at the same time 😵
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 22:53
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    What makes you think I'm going to look that link up? I'm half thinking its a joke coming from a christian.
    Post again and please explain if you wish yo continue.
    I'm dead serious and this meditation class would be a really big deal for me. I want it done right.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 22:54
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Who are you?
    😵
    A freshly peeled, solitary banana😵
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 23:00
    Here's some excerts from the flyer I'm working on:
    *No religous affiliations
    *Nothing to sell
    *Donation for tea and bikkies only
    *Anyone may answer questions. I am not final authority on the discusssions/questions.
    *All faiths welcome.
    *Bring cushion.
    *No lying down.
    *Crossed legged, lotus or kneeling preferred. Standing also ok.
    *Emphasis on Zen-style meditation if anything
    *25 min sessions, followed by tea and chat.
    *If group forms, then I might try to get it upto an hour.

Did I miss anything? Does that come across as a non-threatening/liberal meditation class?
  8. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 23:02
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    That looks like "lectio divina" to me - and you reach the bottom of the article before he slags off "unhelpful eastern influences" when there has been meditation within Christian tradition all along.
    You do not have to look east for meditation - unless you want to...

World Community For Christian Meditation (Fr John Main) www.wccm.org/
    Father Thomas Keating's centering prayer www.centeringprayer.com
    The silent contemplative prayer of the Julian Meeting http://www.julianmeetings.org/BasicsOfPrayer.htm

But why not learn to quiet the mind within a Christian context, and see where it leads...

Isn't that what faith is after all?
  9. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 23:06
    *Nothing to sell
    *Anyone may answer questions. I am not final authority on the discusssions/questions.
    *All faiths welcome.
    *Bring cushion.
    *No lying down.
    *Emphasis on Z ...[text shortened]...

Did I miss anything? Does that come across as a non-threatening/liberal meditation class?
    I would advise you do not stipulate any "position" for meditation (which is a zen influence) because
    it may exclude someone who is disabled.
  10. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    28 Jan '11 23:251 edit
    You should mention what sort of experience level you expect students to have. Is this a class for someone who has never meditated before and wants to learn what meditation is, or someone who's been meditating for years and wants to exchange ideas.

Along those lines, you might say "why" the class exists -- what do the students stand to get out of the class.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Jan '11 00:081 edit
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    I would advise you do not stipulate any "position" for meditation (which is a zen influence) because
    it may exclude someone who is disabled.
    I thought I was being very lenient on the positions I expected people to try to hold. Like I said, i just dont want lying down.
    Is someone is too disabled, then perhaps they should not attend, tis probaly not for the 'weak'.

Sitting in a chair, for example is fine.
    Doesn't matter what level people are at, it just matters that they try and then progress hopefully in acordance with their own dharma. Its a personal program, its not "group meditation" other than that we are in a group.
    No one is expected to 'harmonize' with each other, and peoples mere presence and respect will be enough of a contribution ot make it work.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Jan '11 00:22
    Originally posted by joneschr
    You should mention what sort of experience level you expect students to have. Is this a class for someone who has never meditated before and wants to learn what meditation is, or someone who's been meditating for years and wants to exchange ideas.

Along those lines, you might say "why" the class exists -- what do the students stand to get out of the class.
    Strangely enough, i was kinda answering those very questions when I was cmposing my other post....eerie🙂

But to make it clear. There is no "minimum level" to attend, and obviously no maximum limit.
    As long as the adept can sit in a chair quitelty for 25 mins, they will qualify for the course.

Guidance, before or during, will be optional, and may be recieved from me or any others attending the group.
    Any "conclucions" or "breakthroughs" that may occur during these sessions will be interpretted by the experincer herself primarily, and not me. Any conclusions I may draw from any "spiritual revelations", that can come about through these sessions, will be built upon the ADEPTS interpretation of what has happened to them. (They may take as long as necessary to decipher any possible "time slips" that may occur during meditation.)
  13. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    29 Jan '11 00:37
    *Nothing to sell
    *All faiths welcome.
    *Bring cushion.
    *No lying down.
    *Emphasis on Z ...[text shortened]...

Great, eventually You'll find some off the wall relgious beliefs you all have in common. Then you'll slip some poison in the tea and finish like they all do.
  14. Lowlands paradise
    Moves
    29 Jan '11 01:44
    What do you guys think?

Any suggestions?
    Sounds good to me. Some one has to take the lead. You? You call it a class. A class implies a teacher. Is that how you see yourself?
    A set of rules is handy as long as they don t become holy and untouchable.

*Nothing to sell
    *Anyone may answer questions. I am not final authority on the discussions/questions.
    *All faiths welcome.
    *Bring cushion.
    *No lying down.
    *Emphasis on Zen-style meditation if anything
    *25 min sessions, followed by tea and chat.
    *If group forms, then I might try to get it upto an hour.

Some additions and questions

*Answering questions? Watch out for discussions. 25 minutes is very short. Leave discussions for the tea party afterwards
    *Why mentioning zenstyle? Open eyes, faces to the wall, strict postures? I don t think you meant that. Your description sounds more as an easy going vipassana meditation.
    *Bring cushions or meditation bench, easy pants and a blanket
    *No lying down. Why? In vipassana it is a well known posture.
    *Come in time. After beginning the door will be closed

I would advice to let people pay a little amount for costs (heating etc.) It usually stimulates people to come more regularly. Free of charge makes people to easy going is my experience. You can make exceptions for people who cannot afford to pay.

Wish you good luck
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Jan '11 02:30
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Great, eventually You'll find some off the wall relgious beliefs you all have in common. Then you'll slip some poison in the tea and finish like they all do.
    I'm sure you forgot the smiley at the end of your post, and I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, but I think,if you had followed my basic plan, you would see that this "course " would be for Spiritual Warriors. (I recommend you google that , unless you have an idea of what it means. It could save much misunderstanding🙂 )

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree