messianic prophecies

messianic prophecies

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
16 Oct 12

Originally posted by stellspalfie
in christianity is this passage not a prophecy regarding the end days and jesus's rule on earth?
Jesus is not mentioned in the passage, what leads you to conclude that it is?

Moves
16 Oct 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
jewish text refers to it as a messianic prophecy. i thought in a christian context it was referring to things that will happen when the earth is under the rule of jesus, during the end days. it is a prophecy, if it is a prophecy that involves the rule of christ, wouldnt that make it a messianic prophecy? does it have to specifically mention jesus? from what ive read today hardly any mention christ by name, they seem to mention things that will happen while he is on earth.

F

Moves
16 Oct 12
2 edits

indeed they do, there are, after all, about 400 or so written in the sacred text.

How many of the 400 prophecies mention "Jesus" specifically by name?

Is Isaiah 2:2-4 specifically NOT one of the 400 you referred to?

rc

Moves
16 Oct 12
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
How many of the 400 prophecies mention "Jesus" specifically by name?

Is Isaiah 2:2-4 specifically NOT one of the 400 you referred to?
In the quoted passage 'Jehovah', is specifically mentioned by name, why this should be
construed as referring to Jesus i cannot say, although i cannot think of one that does
refer to Jesus by name. I cannot say for certain whether its considered a messianic
prophecy or not, it could be and probably is, although for reasons that yet evade me.

rc

Moves
16 Oct 12

jewish text refers to it as a messianic prophecy. i thought in a christian context it was referring to things that will happen when the earth is under the rule of jesus, during the end days. it is a prophecy, if it is a prophecy that involves the rule of christ, wouldnt that make it a messianic prophecy? does it have to specifically mention jesus? from ...[text shortened]... y any mention christ by name, they seem to mention things that will happen while he is on earth.
it is clear from the passage that only those people from the nations who are going to
the house of Jehovah, that is, in a figurative sense, 'elevated worship', are the ones
beating their swords in to ploughshares, for they have been instructed about his ways,
whether it is by extension meant to include those not going to the house of Jehovah, i
cannot say, it seems unlikely.

F

Moves
16 Oct 12

In the quoted passage 'Jehovah', is specifically mentioned by name, why this should be
construed as referring to Jesus i cannot say, although i cannot think of one that does
refer to Jesus by name. I cannot say for certain whether its considered a messianic
prophecy or not, it could be and probably is, although for reasons that yet evade me.
You said there are about 400 messianic prophecies in the bible. Are these 400 messianic prophecies ones that DO mention "Jesus" or "Jehovah"? Or does the "400 [messianic prophecies] written in the sacred text"that you mentioned include those that DON'T mention "Jesus" or "Jehovah"?

F

Moves
16 Oct 12

it is clear from the passage that only those people from the nations who are going to
the house of Jehovah, that is, in a figurative sense, 'elevated worship', are the ones
beating their swords in to ploughshares, for they have been instructed about his ways,
whether it is by extension meant to include those not going to the house of Jehovah, i
cannot say, it seems unlikely.
Is the Isaiah 2:2-4 passage specifically NOT a messianic prophecy?

rc

Moves
16 Oct 12
2 edits

jewish text refers to it as a messianic prophecy. i thought in a christian context it was referring to things that will happen when the earth is under the rule of jesus, during the end days. it is a prophecy, if it is a prophecy that involves the rule of christ, wouldnt that make it a messianic prophecy? does it have to specifically mention jesus? from ...[text shortened]... y any mention christ by name, they seem to mention things that will happen while he is on earth.
it is understood that while Christ's presence in the heavens has taken place, the
millennial reign of the Messiah takes place after the battle of Armageddon, when
Christ's enemies shall be humbled. Clearly this prophecy refers to an education work,
for learning is taking place and an in-gathering of people, from all nations, who in a
figurative sense, learn to be peaceable.

rc

Moves
16 Oct 12
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Is the Isaiah 2:2-4 passage specifically NOT a messianic prophecy?
I have stated i cannot say with any certainty whether it is or isn't.

rc

Moves
16 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
You said there are about 400 messianic prophecies in the bible. Are these 400 messianic prophecies ones that DO mention "Jesus" or "Jehovah"? Or does the "400 [messianic prophecies] written in the sacred text"that you mentioned include those that DON'T mention "Jesus" or "Jehovah"?
It depends, why dont you cite some and we can find out.

F

Moves
16 Oct 12

I cannot say for certain whether [Isaiah 2:2-4 is] considered a messianic prophecy or not, it could be and probably is, although for reasons
that yet evade me.

Do any of the reasons surrounding any of the 400 you cited also "evade" you?

Is Isaiah 2:2-4 one of the 400 you mentioned?

F

Moves
16 Oct 12

It depends, why dont you cite some and we can find out.
You mentioned that there were 400 messianic prophecies. How many mention "Jesus"?

F

Moves
16 Oct 12

So is it still 400 or are we down to 399, by your reckoning?

rc

Moves
16 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
You mentioned that there were 400 messianic prophecies. How many mention "Jesus"?
here is an example of a messianic prophecy,

(Isaiah 42:1-4) . . .Look! My servant, on whom I keep fast hold! My chosen one,
[whom] my soul has approved! I have put my spirit in him. Justice to the nations is
what he will bring forth.  He will not cry out or raise [his voice], and in the street he
will not let his voice be heard.  No crushed reed will he break; and as for a dim
flaxen wick, he will not extinguish it. In trueness he will bring forth justice.  He will
not grow dim nor be crushed until he sets justice in the earth itself; and for his law
the islands themselves will keep waiting.

that it has application and finds fulfilment is Jesus is found in this passage here,

(Matthew 12:18-21)  “Look! My servant whom I chose, my beloved, whom my soul
approved! I will put my spirit upon him, and what justice is he will make clear to the
nations.  He will not wrangle, nor cry aloud, nor will anyone hear his voice in the
broad ways.  No bruised reed will he crush, and no smoldering flaxen wick will he
extinguish, until he sends out justice with success.  Indeed, in his name nations will
hope.”

so while not mentioning Jesus by name, it is understood that the Biblical writers
made it applicable to him, and there are scores of these.

rc

Moves
16 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
So is it still 400 or are we down to 399, by your reckoning?
are you simply here to troll because i said you had a pet gorilla Gerald? Please turn up the tone.