1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '15 01:19
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    So easily offended, aren't you.
    sonship has on occasions suggested I am "offended" by his ideology, but it's just something he says to avoid addressing whatever it is he doesn't want to address.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Jul '15 02:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    sonship has on occasions suggested I am "offended" by his ideology, but it's just something he says to avoid addressing whatever it is he doesn't want to address.
    I disagree (of course).
    You're just easily offended.
    Small mind, no surprise.
    Stay guarded at all costs.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '15 03:27
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I disagree (of course).
    You're just easily offended.
    Small mind, no surprise.
    Stay guarded at all costs.
    I can't remember sonship using the "small mind" deflection, but you do seem to use it an awful lot. 😉
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '15 03:33
    Originally posted by sonship
    I am willing to leave the matter that I am unable to persuade you of Christ.
    Actually, the 'matter' is not persuasion, as you put it, it's coherence. What credible notion of fairness and justice can humans draw, emulate and apply from such a far-fetched and depraved concept of supposedly "perfect justice" as the one you propagate?
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    01 Jul '15 06:50
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Are you actually asking him what will be different in your paradigm, or his?

One thing you fail to understand is that there is no absence of God now, not in his life, nor yours, in his paradigm.
    Erm yes, there really is a complete absence of god in my life.

You being a theist will of course not accept this, because it weakens your faith to say that there are many, many people who have no god(s) in their life. But it's really true. No god in my life. No jesus also. Just everyday life.

So what will be different in hell with an absence of god compared to being on earth with an absence of god?
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Jul '15 07:32
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    You're entertaining the notion that this god may in fact have created the universe, us, and a heaven for us to live in after death yet is just like us in that he can't stop misery from happening?

Not sure if serious or not, Mr. Ghost.
    Admittedly, the sarcasm that oozes from every pore in my body does make it difficult to determine when i am being sincere.

But what if God is a creator, but nothing more? What if we are merely microorganisms given life in petri dish? What if God has no desire or ability to intervene in our lives? What if there is no heaven, just a laboratory experiment created by a being with his own limitations and flaws of character? Does the scientist care about the bacteria, does he have an interest in preventing misery from happening in the petri dish?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Jul '15 08:26
    I really, really, really wish that you two children (you and FMF) could eventually learn that merely answering in a way that you do not like is NOT ignoring you, or the question.

If you repeatedly IGNORE the answer, you cannot get away with playing the card of seeming frustration that you're not getting an answer. You're just not getting the answer YOU ...[text shortened]... mock and make fun of (probably because you don't even understand the answer enough to mock it).
    Rant much?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Jul '15 08:391 edit
    I really, really, really wish that you two children (you and FMF) could eventually learn that merely answering in a way that you do not like is NOT ignoring you, or the question.

If you repeatedly IGNORE the answer, you cannot get away with playing the card of seeming frustration that you're not getting an answer. You're just not getting the answer YOU ...[text shortened]... mock and make fun of (probably because you don't even understand the answer enough to mock it).
    I don't know why you get so twisted up about this debate. sonship has told me that he "doesn't like" the teaching of eternal suffering and has advised me to "pour my heart out to god" in order to seek resolution for my troubles with the eternal suffering teaching. He has said that he did this "heart pouring" and it helped him and now he feels that eternal suffering is god's perfect justice.

Firstly, I've asked sonship what it was he learned from his heart pouring experience with god that helped with with eternal suffering teaching and he has refused to tell me - as though it is some secret that the rest of us are not allowed to know - and yet he still posts pages and pages and pages of text defending the teaching - don't you find that strange?

Secondly FMF has asked him the spot-on-topic question that if divegeester (or anyone) pours there heart out to god about this teaching and yet finds that they still disagree with sonship, then how will he respond.

sonship has repeatedly refused to respond on these perfectly reasonable on topic points. I wonder why.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Jul '15 08:40
    Funny that you share this notion with many atheists.

Don't you think they have the same exact notion of your belief in God?

What does that tell you?
    I tells me you are the master of asking dumb questions.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Jul '15 08:42
    Funny that you share this notion with many atheists.

Don't you think they have the same exact notion of your belief in God?

What does that tell you?
    Most atheists find pedophilia disgusting

Interestingly enough so do I

What does this tell you?
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    01 Jul '15 08:46
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Admittedly, the sarcasm that oozes from every pore in my body does make it difficult to determine when i am being sincere.

But what if God is a creator, but nothing more? What if we are merely microorganisms given life in petri dish? What if God has no desire or ability to intervene in our lives? What if there is no heaven, just a laboratory exper ...[text shortened]... ut the bacteria, does he have an interest in preventing misery from happening in the petri dish?
    Well yes, but you said earlier

"Worth noting, as an 'atheist' (a term used purely for the benefit of theists who like to view 'us' as a collective) i rather hope God does exist; even though rationalizing that he doesn't. Who wouldn't want to believe in an immortal soul and a purpose for existence?"

The "God as scientist" that you just described doesn't really correspond with this "God giving immortal souls and a purpose for existence".

And honestly, I wouldn't need to have either one exist. Although admittedly, the scientist God sounds intriguing, since he would apparently exist on some kind of higher plane, which would tickle my interest. But other than that, why would it matter if he existed? Would it make you happy to know you're a bacteria?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '15 08:48
    I don't mind answers [to my questions] that I disagree with or that are unexpected or that make me rethink my questions or ask slightly different ones. But I do tend to repose the questions and press for answers when people are evasive or when they deflect. If you, say, for example, in response to a question from me, simply insult me, I will ask the question again, not because you are "merely answering in a way that [I] do not like", but because I don't consider your insults to be "answers" at all. People will make what they will of the various ways you find to ignore the question just as they will make what they will of my continuing to question you if you have indeed answered the question.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Jul '15 08:49

I have a suspicion that sonship latest way of "not ignoring" these questions will be to avoid then by not being around for a few days.

🙂
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Jul '15 08:56
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Well yes, but you said earlier

[b]"Worth noting, as an 'atheist' (a term used purely for the benefit of theists who like to view 'us' as a collective) i rather hope God does exist; even though rationalizing that he doesn't. Who wouldn't want to believe in an immortal soul and a purpose for existence?"

The "God as scientist" that you just de ...[text shortened]... than that, why would it matter if he existed? Would it make you happy to know you're a bacteria?[/b]
    Well Mr Rat, one is merely a cat toying with a number of possible mice.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Jul '15 15:434 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I'm not sure what I believe about the soul of Samuel, but whatever I did decide to belive about it would not have any bearing on theway I feel about the doctrine of eternal suffering.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe the account. And it shows to me that even though there is no explicit systematic doctrine of the immortality of the soul, say as the Greek philosophers put forth, there is the evidence that physical death does not terminate into nothingness man.

Annhilationism is contradicted by First Samuel 28:2-25. So a first and a second death neither mean a total un-being of a man into non-existence.

As it was me you told to "pour my heart out" to God in search of a solution to my struggle and your subsequent refusal to explain what God revealed to you when you "poured your heart out" to him, which convinced you the doctrine/belief was correct and gods perfect justice - I would be interested in your reply to FMF's question which you have been repeatedly ignoring.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still regard this as a skewed misinterpretation of what my advice was. My emphasis was on gaining the peace of God Himself rather than the restlessness of hunting for those to convince of a viewpoint by debate.

Now, I told you, that I am opened to the possibility that I am in error concerning some aspect of this matter. So having said that you cannot accuse me of pouring out my heart and getting a doctrinal nod that I perfectly understand correctly everything about eternal punishment in Scripture.

So why don't you drop this repeated complaint ?

This was the passage which I recommended as an important result of pouring out our hearts to God -

"And the peace of God, which surpasses every man's understanding, will guard your hearts and your thoughts in Christ Jesus." (Phil. 4:7)

So why don't you stop trying to put into my mouth your spin ?

IE.

"And the assurance of billions of tortured people will be the doctrine you will agree to."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree