Monogamy

Monogamy

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
17 Sep 17

Originally posted by @eladar
...There is a reason why Muslim cultures are so protective of their women and why rapes rates went up when men from polygamy cultures entered Europe....
Pretty sure the middle east was comfortable with misogyny even without help from europe.

K

Germany

Moves
17 Sep 17

Originally posted by @dj2becker
If the monogamous institution is a social construct that we have created that is not innate to our true selves, what is wrong with polygamy?
How do you determine what is "innate to our true selves"?

E

Moves
17 Sep 17

Originally posted by @apathist
Pretty sure the middle east was comfortable with misogyny even without help from europe.
OK

Moves
17 Sep 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @wolfgang59
Nothing is wrong with polygamy on an individual basis but simple
arithmetic is why it does not work for a modern society as a whole.

Imagine a set of tribal societies where fighting routinely killed off
10% of the tribe's young men. Wouldn't polygamy become the norm?
Obviously if you don't believe marriage was instituted by God to be between one man and one woman, polygamy would be morally acceptable for you. So if nothing is wrong with polygamy would you morally object to an extra marital affair, ie adultery?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
17 Sep 17

Obviously if you don't believe marriage was instituted by God to be between one man and one woman, polygamy would be morally acceptable for you. So if nothing is wrong with polygamy would you morally object to an extra marital affair, ie adultery?
Why conflate the two? A marital affair denotes deception/betrayal. Polygamy, between consenting adults, does not.

Moves
17 Sep 17

Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
How do you determine what is "innate to our true selves"?
Some pro polygamist said something along those lines, hence my question in the OP. It's a good question though worth asking them.

Moves
17 Sep 17

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Why conflate the two? A marital affair denotes deception/betrayal. Polygamy, between consenting adults, does not.
But deception/betrayal is not intrinsically wrong is it?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
17 Sep 17

But deception/betrayal is not intrinsically wrong is it?
You asked if it was morally wrong. An act of deception/betrayal I would consider as such. Polygamy, between consenting adults, I would not.

Moves
17 Sep 17

You asked if it was morally wrong. An act of deception/betrayal I would consider as such. Polygamy, between consenting adults, I would not.
So deception/betrayal is always wrong in all cases or only when it suits you?

Moves
17 Sep 17

If a couple agreed to practice 'swinging', would you consider this as morally acceptable?

E

Moves
17 Sep 17

Why is it deception or betrayal?

Is it deception or betrayal if a spouse refuses to have a sexual relationship?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
17 Sep 17

So deception/betrayal is always wrong in all cases or only when it suits you?
I can only speak for my own morality, and that of the society i come from. It is your bag to try and lay a universal morality on everyone..

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
17 Sep 17

If a couple agreed to practice 'swinging', would you consider this as morally acceptable?
Yes.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
17 Sep 17

Originally posted by @eladar
Why is it deception or betrayal?

Is it deception or betrayal if a spouse refuses to have a sexual relationship?
Go stand in the corner.

Moves
17 Sep 17

I can only speak for my own morality, and that of the society i come from. It is your bag to try and lay a universal morality on everyone..
I am asking you about your morality not someone else's.