1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    08 Jul '06 00:17
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Perhaps we can only be responsible for our own honor. When my 13 children behave honorably I feel blessed by them.
    I don't think you are answering the question.

Does the 4th Commandment entail that a son must honor a gay father or not?
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    08 Jul '06 00:28
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I don't think you are answering the question.

Does the 4th Commandment entail that a son must honor a gay father or not?
    Define "honor". Perhaps we can go from there.
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    08 Jul '06 05:34
    Define "honor". Perhaps we can go from there.
    You're the man of the Bible. If you think the 4th Commandment is meaningful, then you tell me what it means.
  4. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    08 Jul '06 16:35
    You're the man of the Bible. If you think the 4th Commandment is meaningful, then you tell me what it means.
    If honor excludes hate, then the 4th Commandment already contradicts the implied commandment in this passage.

Luke 14:26: "If any man come to me, and *hate* not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

How dealest thou with this discrepancy, Dr. Fred?
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    08 Jul '06 18:23
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    If honor excludes hate, then the 4th Commandment already contradicts the implied commandment in this passage.

Luke 14:26: "If any man come to me, and *hate* not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

How dealest thou with this discrepancy, Dr. Fred?
    This passage fits beautifully with my life. My father married a divorcee and from then on I had no contact with him because the Bible prohibits this kind of marriage. When his wife, Olive died I was simply overjoyed. I also have had no contact with many other family members. So as you can see the issue of hate has a place in a right relationship with God.

Let me get back to the issue of "honor." As you may know, I was an Eagle Scout, the highest level of the Boy Scouts. Its oath begins: "On my honor, I will do my best..." Honor is action oriented. It entails doing the right thing. Doing stems from believing. If I am believing the right way or the godly way, my doing should reflect my believing. When this happens I am "honorable."
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    08 Jul '06 19:33

Let me get back to the issue of "honor." As you may know, I was an Eagle Scout, the highest level of the Boy Scouts. Its oath begins: "On my honor, I will do my best..." Honor is action oriented. It entails doing the right thing. Doing stems from believing. If I am believing the right way or the godly way, my doing should reflect my believing. When this happens I am "honorable."
    You have described honor as an intransitive verb.

The 4th Commandment uses honor as a transitive verb, where the actor's action has an object, in this case, his parents.

What does honor mean when used as a transitive verb?
  7. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    09 Jul '06 00:41

The 4th Commandment uses honor as a transitive verb, where the actor's action has an object, in this case, his parents.

You are straining at gnats and swallowing camels. The Word is the Word.
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    09 Jul '06 03:101 edit
    You are straining at gnats and swallowing camels. The Word is the Word.
    But how can the Word be meaningful to you if you don't know its meaning?

How can you adhere to the 4th Commandment if you don't know what it commands?
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    09 Jul '06 13:00
    But how can the Word be meaningful to you if you don't know its meaning?

How can you adhere to the 4th Commandment if you don't know what it commands?
    Your line of reasoning and questioning is precisely what liberals and aethiests like to do. Do you believe that when Moses descended from Mt Sinai that there were footnotes on the tablets clairfying transient and intransient verbs? Believers know in their heart what is right and what is wrong. Unbelievers have a closed heart and mind. So do fags I might add.

Incidently, how will we know when our great debate is finished? I've noticed that only Pawnokeyhole has participated. Do chess players tend to be fags?
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    09 Jul '06 13:10

Actually, the fourth commandment is transliterated as 'glorify,' which certainly requires action.
  11. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    09 Jul '06 15:552 edits
    Believers know in their heart what is right and what is wrong.
    Then what need for Commandments at all, especially ones to which you cannot ascribe meaning?

This debate was over before it even started.
  12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    09 Jul '06 18:15
    Then what need for Commandments at all, especially ones to which you cannot ascribe meaning?

This debate was over before it even started.
    I call upon Scripture to rebuke you.

From Isaiah: "You shall indeed hear but never understand, and you shall indeed see but never perceive. For the people's heart has grown dull, and their ears are heavy of hearing, and their eyes have closed, lest they should perceive with their eyes and hear with their ears, and understand with their hearts, and turn to me to heal them."
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    09 Jul '06 19:261 edit
    I call upon Scripture to rebuke you.

From Isaiah: "You shall indeed hear but never understand, and you shall indeed see but never perceive. For the people's heart has grown dull, and their ears are heavy of hearing, and their eyes have closed, lest they should perceive with their eyes and hear with their ears, and understand with their hearts, and turn to me to heal them."
    I can go quote for quote with you.

"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." -- Matthew 5:43

These are the words of Jesus, not Isaiah. Which should be given more weight?
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    09 Jul '06 21:15
    I can go quote for quote with you.

"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." -- Matthew 5:43

These are the words of Jesus, not Isaiah. Which should be given more weight?
    Jesus should. That's is why he quotes Isaiah in the 13th chapter of Matthew.
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    09 Jul '06 21:49
    My father married a divorcee and from then on I had no contact with him because the Bible prohibits this kind of marriage. When his wife, Olive died I was simply overjoyed. I also have had no contact with many other family members. So as you can see the issue of hate has a place in a right relationship with God.
    Are you serious?! You turned your back on your own family for that rag?! If that's God's way, I say "screw him".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree