1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Apr '17 20:02
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    You think either of one can be proven or do they both have to be believed and taken on faith?
    My point was to highlight the ridiculous labelling of Abiogenesis as myth, while holding to the whole talking snake thing.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Apr '17 20:09
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    My point was to highlight the ridiculous labelling of Abiogenesis as myth, while holding to the whole talking snake thing.
    The scripture lends itself to that charge in many places if you reject God completely.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Apr '17 20:31
    The scripture lends itself to that charge in many places if you reject God completely.
    Or if you realise some things were not meant to be taken literally.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Apr '17 20:37
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Or if you realise some things were not meant to be taken literally.
    LOL. you KNOW the differences between when that is true or not?
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    15 Apr '17 21:04
    Life came. I don't think you have special knowledge.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Apr '17 21:13
    You think either of one can be proven or do they both have to be believed and taken on faith?
    One has scientific evidence in its favour. The other doesn't. Neither should be taken on faith. If the evidence doesn't convince you, don't take it to be true. If you want to convince someone else of its truth, be prepared to provide evidence.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Apr '17 23:59
    Originally posted by apathist
    Since you see that, surely you see that there are hundreds and thousands of faith beliefs going on.

Everybody is seeing the same thing, just through cultural lenses.
    This is very possible.

Perhaps those cultural lenses just need the diopters increased a bit.

If I looked at an eye chart from 100 feet away, I can't read the smaller lines either.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 00:01
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Ganesh is an elephant.
    God isn't Ganesh, either.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 00:03
    Originally posted by apathist
    But the abrahamic religions say every other view is doomed. Jews (the chosen!), christians and muslims, have no room for anyone else.
    The further away you get from a water source, the less likely any water you find will belong to that source.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 00:06
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    The further away you get from a water source, the less likely any water you find will belong to that source.
    It's still water though regardless of the specific source, isn't it?
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 00:10
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    That's a bit of a stretch. Faith doesn't cure disease, improve crop yields, enable blood tranfusions, purify water, facilitate practically instantaneous communication over vast distance, allow us to fly, put men on the moon, develop vaccines, allow production of lenses to correct failing eyesight, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Actually, the proper application of faith is nothing like as powerful as the proper application of science.
    Faith DOES save people from destruction, though.

Not to mention allowing people to lead fulfilling lives and find purpose that could not have been discovered through their own efforts. Faith has the power to find the lost, to heal trauma, to mend broken hearts and broken lives and broken families. It brings the water of life to those who have only known unquenchable thirst.

How is that not easily as powerful?
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 00:15
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Theists always want to equate religion with science.
    As equals.
    As alternatives.
    As different "kinds of Truth"

They use scientific words such as power, energy and force.

BS

Religion has NOTHING
    Look past the obvious.

Faith is not equal to science.

They are both branches from the same tree, though.

Religion has something. The power to change the lives of ALL men, from every socioeconomic background. Rich and poor, strong and weak. Though dead, they can ALL live. Can science do that?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 00:181 edit

Not to mention allowing people to lead fulfilling lives and find purpose that could not have been discovered through their own efforts. Faith has the power to find the lost, to heal trauma, to mend broken hearts and broken lives and broken families.
    On this we mostly agree although I don’t think we can categorically know that people leading fulfilling lives and finding purpose through faith could not have discovered these things through their own efforts if they settle for religion and stop making "their own efforts".
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 00:22

Not to mention allowing people to lead fulfilling lives and find purpose that could not have been discovered through their own efforts. Faith has the power to find the lost, to heal trauma, to mend broken hearts and broken lives and broken families. It brings the water of life to those who have only known unquenchable thirst.

How is that not easily as powerful?
    I lost my faith and yet I still have purpose and a fulfilling life (and I have encountered many ex-believers who have had a similar life arc), so while faith can create meaning for people it is not necessarily indispensable.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 00:24
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Yet you can't seem to answer simple logical questions about it.
    From the Greek, Logos means the word, or in the Bible, the Word.

Two different meanings, but this renders the Bible as completely Logical (cap. intended).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree