1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 01:09
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes, but the "guide dog" in your analogy can be any of a whole range of beliefs, religions, philosophies, perspectives, orientations, purposes and not just the religion that you happen to have ended up an adherent of.
    However, some choose a guide dog that either doesn't fulfill its purpose or may even just turn around and eat them. Sure, some may "get by", but it still may not be their best choice. Some end up guiding the "guide dog", and end up getting a new one. And a guide dog with limited or no training isn't much better than no guide dog at all, and may hurt, rather than help. Not all guide dogs are equal.

But yes, we're free to choose our own guide dogs.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 01:12
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    However, some choose a guide dog that either doesn't fulfill its purpose or may even just turn around and eat them. Sure, some may "get by", but it still may not be their best choice. Some end up guiding the "guide dog", and end up getting a new one. And a guide dog with limited or no training isn't much better than no guide dog at all, and may hurt, rat ...[text shortened]... than help. Not all guide dogs are equal.

But yes, we're free to choose our own guide dogs.
    Oh dear. Another analogy tortured. You say: "Not all guide dogs are equal." Yes, you are a proponent of Christianity. I get that. Perhaps you should have specified in your original guide dog analogy that the blind person needs to be helped across the road by a particular breed of dog. 😉
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 01:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    In the exchange we are having the "stop making their own efforts" thing was referring to efforts to find a solution to a set of problems ~ the best solution being, in your estimation, Christianity. It has been my experience that most people who find solace and meaning in Christianity "stop making their own efforts" to find a different set of solutions, a different religion, a different paradigm.
    Are you saying that "most Christians" you know are leading "less than ideal" lives?
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 01:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    Oh dear. Another analogy tortured. You say: "Not all guide dogs are equal." Yes, you are a proponent of Christianity. I get that. Perhaps you should have specified in your original guide dog analogy that the blind person needs to be helped across the road by a particular breed of dog. 😉
    And of course, all of your "conversations" here have to follow your ideal mold for the perfect conversation, which usually means "all put-downs, all the time".

Stop stifling your mind.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 01:25
    Are you saying that "most Christians" you know are leading "less than ideal" lives?
    No of course not. I have never said anything remotely like that in all my years here.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 01:28
    And of course, all of your "conversations" here have to follow your ideal mold for the perfect conversation, which usually means "all put-downs, all the time".
    Your water analogy and your guide dog analogy were both duds. I have pointed this out to you. If you see this as "put downs" then that is about your psychology and not about my contribution to the conversation.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 02:351 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Slackers!
    If you believe God is the most important thing in the universe, to the point where it affects your behavior, politics and choices in life, it would make sense to read the bible, wouldn't it? For Christians to take actions like burning people at the stake or shoot up abortion clinics, shouldn't understanding the text that guides your life be a priority?

Knowledge of evolution isn't meant to guide's anyone behavior or political beliefs, or any other views on society and living one's life, unlike following a religion.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 02:581 edit
    Originally posted by apathist
    Could we please talk about this. We cannot reject stuff that isn't there.
    n/a
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 03:40
    Originally posted by vivify
    If you believe God is the most important thing in the universe, to the point where it affects your behavior, politics and choices in life, it would make sense to read the bible, wouldn't it? For Christians to take actions like burning people at the stake or shoot up abortion clinics, shouldn't understanding the text that guides your life be a priority?

...[text shortened]... tical beliefs, or any other views on society and living one's life, unlike following a religion.
    What you use to define the universe most certainly does help guild your actions, be it
    something godless, or not. If you don't have anything greater than one's self to answer
    to, than what you want will hold sway over most of your choices. The only thing that could
    cause you to alter your choices would be others, but if they can be ignored for some
    reason, all the better.

Evolution doesn't teach morals, it doesn't teach anything, it doesn't alter views, speak up
    when slandered, or get pissed when something happens one way or another. People will
    act as they will act, there isn't a compass within evolution that says the strong are better
    than the weak, or the weak are better than the strong. Evolution has no voice, only people
    do.

I believe God is the most important thing in the universe since He created it, and holds it
    together by the power of His Word. I also believe He is King over it all, so His Word is the
    final say in all things. Those that reject Him look to other things from themselves to this,
    that, or the other thing to guide them, and justify whatever needs justified in their lives.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 04:18
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Evolution doesn't teach morals, it doesn't teach anything, it doesn't alter views, speak up when slandered, or get pissed when something happens one way or another.

Nobody claims that it does, so why are you pointing out that it doesn't?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 04:26
    I believe God is the most important thing in the universe since He created it, and holds it together by the power of His Word. I also believe He is King over it all, so His Word is the final say in all things. Those that reject Him look to other things from themselves to this, that, or the other thing to guide them, and justify whatever needs justified in their lives.

People who don't believe in your god figure are not "rejecting him" so much as they are not being convinced by your ideology (along, perhaps, with your intellectual and interpersonal behaviour which stem from it).

Can you cite any member of this community who believes in your god figure are yet "rejects him" nevertheless?

Your constant reference to people "rejecting" the supernatural being you just so happen to believe in is, in fact, merely a thin disguise you pull over the fact that you are unable to persuade the people you have in mind to adopt the same superstitions about supernatural causality as you.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 05:56
    Evolution doesn't teach morals, it doesn't teach anything, it doesn't alter views, speak up
    when slandered, or get pissed when something happens one way or another. People will
    act as they will act, there isn't a compass within evolution that says the strong are better
    than the weak, or the weak are better than the strong.
    Nether do Newtons laws. Yet gravity still exists.
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 07:37
    God isn't Ganesh, either.
    Prove it!
  14. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 09:48
    But the source is pure. The further you get from it, the more likely you'll find contaminants.

Yes, it's still water, but would you drink it? Right. Not without boiling it first. And you can't boil out radiation. But again, yes, you're perfectly free to drink anything you want.
    You are so close to understanding.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Apr '17 10:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    No of course not. I have never said anything remotely like that in all my years here.
    That's right. Thanks for making my point.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree