1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91521
    26 May '10 03:57
    Is there anyone at all (in the whole world) , that doesn't like some form of music?
    Could music possibly be the only thing that 100% of people appreciate?
  2. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    26 May '10 04:34
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Is there anyone at all (in the whole world) , that doesn't like some form of music?
    Could music possibly be the only thing that 100% of people appreciate?
    What about beauty? Love?
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91521
    26 May '10 08:411 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What about beauty? Love?
    Yes,yes...however I would contend that some people wouldn't admit to appreciating Love and beauty unreservedly, because some might contend that beauty and Love always has their opposites,("ugliness" and hate), whereas music has no opposites-it is free to be enjoyed by anyone with no apparent drawbacks-unlike love and beauty. (perhaps silence could be considered an opposite to music but there is no such thing as true silence-even in the vacuum of space).
    I realize that this is not a proper refutation of your arguement but can you see what I'm trying to assert here?
    Music (like "Love" ) is a very mysterious yet indisputeably a tangible concept.
    I say it is mysterious because, other than personal testament, there is actually no scientific way to prove either. Yet both exist . (surely you wouldn't challenge that)
    Anyway , I look forward to yours (or anyone elses), response, as I am trying find a way to work through this issue. An issue, that so far I can find no arguement against.
  4. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    14509
    26 May '10 08:53
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Yes,yes...however I would contend that some people wouldn't admit to appreciating Love and beauty unreservedly, because some might contend that beauty and Love always has their opposites,("ugliness" and hate), whereas music has no opposites-it is free to be enjoyed by anyone with no apparent drawbacks-unlike love and beauty. (perhaps silence could be co ...[text shortened]... a way to work through this issue. An issue, that so far I can find no arguement against.
    There is pure Silence, otherwise there would be no Logos
    😵
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91521
    26 May '10 09:22
    Originally posted by black beetle
    There is pure Silence, otherwise there would be no Logos
    😵
    Ok. but not in an observer universe. (my arguement here is transitory and will hopefully be redundant in the future)
  6. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    26 May '10 09:40
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    whereas music has no opposites ....
    Annoying noises? Finger nails on the black board?
    Most of us don't even like all music. Besides, the existence of an opposite has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not all people like something.
    I think all people appreciate beauty and love in some way, shape or form.
  7. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    14509
    26 May '10 10:02
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Ok. but not in an observer universe. (my arguement here is transitory and will hopefully be redundant in the future)
    Of course in the observer universe, in its dharmakaya level😵
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    26 May '10 11:53
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Is there anyone at all (in the whole world) , that doesn't like some form of music?
    Could music possibly be the only thing that 100% of people appreciate?
    In the book 'So, You Think You're Human?' I read about a tribe that had done away with all culture, music included, barring the production of purely functional grass mats. It seems the tribe underwent some catastrophe and all fun was abandoned in this time of 'great sadness'.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91521
    26 May '10 12:13
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Annoying noises? Finger nails on the black board?
    Most of us don't even like all music. Besides, the existence of an opposite has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not all people like something.
    I think all people appreciate beauty and love in some way, shape or form.
    "Most of us dont like all music". That was not my contention.
    what I was trying to get at was that everyone likes music.
    I believe there is a spiritual connection with music.
    And , as I inferred before, could music be the ONLY thing that all people have in common?
    Also, like "love" , music cant be explained scientifically adequately. There is a mystery there. Whenever one tries to explain it in terms of rythym or melody(for example), there is no set formula that covers all music. It is an enigma, and a link to the divine for which there is no explanation.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91521
    26 May '10 12:20
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    In the book 'So, You Think You're Human?' I read about a tribe that had done away with all culture, music included, barring the production of purely functional grass mats. It seems the tribe underwent some catastrophe and all fun was abandoned in this time of 'great sadness'.
    If I read you correctly there was a "great sadness" in this tribe because of no music (and maybe other things).
    To me music is the great "mind clearer". It has the capacity to make one forget about their worldly problems.

    If you listen long and patiently enough, one may even break through to the other side, where nothing tangible exists. I believe that that is because of the eternal nature of music.
    To be able to create something that does this is to truly make something which heals the world
  11. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    26 May '10 12:241 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    And , as I inferred before, could music be the ONLY thing that all people have in common?
    You are yet to rule out beauty or love.

    Also, like "love" , music cant be explained scientifically adequately.
    I find the explanations for both, perfectly adequate.

    There is a mystery there.
    Not really, no.

    Whenever one tries to explain it in terms of rythym or melody(for example), there is no set formula that covers all music.
    That does not mean it can't be explained.

    It is an enigma, and a link to the divine for which there is no explanation.
    There is an explanation. The fact that you don't know it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist, nor does it make it 'divine' whatever you mean by that.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91521
    26 May '10 12:24
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Annoying noises? Finger nails on the black board?
    Most of us don't even like all music. Besides, the existence of an opposite has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not all people like something.
    I think all people appreciate beauty and love in some way, shape or form.
    The existence of no opposite means that one doesn't need to associate guilt or any other bad feelings with music.
    It can be enjoyed in and of itself. And the Enjoyment is within. It is something which cannot be taken away.
    It is Mans creation as a stepping stone to return to his /her origonal nature.
  13. Subscriberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Joined
    01 Sep '06
    Moves
    56453
    26 May '10 12:27
    Originally posted by black beetle
    There is pure Silence, otherwise there would be no Logos
    😵
    In zen, the loudest sound is silence
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91521
    26 May '10 12:28
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You are yet to rule out beauty or love.

    [b]Also, like "love" , music cant be explained scientifically adequately.

    I find the explanations for both, perfectly adequate.

    There is a mystery there.
    Not really, no.

    Whenever one tries to explain it in terms of rythym or melody(for example), there is no set formula that covers all music. ...[text shortened]... , doesn't mean it doesn't exist, nor does it make it 'divine' whatever you mean by that.
    I disagree.
    Please provide me a link or some reading material which explains music in purely physical terms.
    I am happy to stand corrected if an explanation exists.

    I did not rule out love or beauty, merely pointed out that such notions have their drawbacks whereas as music does not
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    26 May '10 12:28
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    If I read you correctly there was a "great sadness" in this tribe because of no music (and maybe other things).
    To me music is the great "mind clearer". It has the capacity to make one forget about their worldly problems.

    If you listen long and patiently enough, one may even break through to the other side, where nothing tangible exists. I believe ...[text shortened]... be able to create something that does this is to truly make something which heals the world
    No, the great sadness caused them to set aside music and all other aesthetic activities, barring the production of strictly utilitarian grass mats.

    But I agree with you and would charm the sad matmakers from their despondency with sweet soul music if I could.
Back to Top