music

music

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
28 May 10

Originally posted by Lord Shark
Originally posted by karoly aczel
[b]That my claim that 99% of people appreciate music is false?

I have not commented on that claim. Just the 100% claim.[/b]
Ok,thnx

Hmmm . . .

Moves
29 May 10

So many words about a wordless art! πŸ™‚ (I assume we’re not talking about lyrics here.) One does not need words or concepts (or preconceptions) to be moved by music--or any other non-representational art form. One is moved (for those who are moved; exceptions granted) by the expression of coherence/harmony--concordance as opposed to discordance.

Such concordance is associated (without necessarily thinking about it at all) with well-being on the part of the (human) organism, as opposed to ill-being.

In this way, such music is a direct pointing, rather than a thinking/conceptualizing/talking about. Lin Chi: “When have I ever failed to show you the Buddha?”

Different people, of course, respond differently to different kinds of music. Different people respond differently to different means: meditation, koans, tai chi, etc., etc.

So much religion is words/concepts exegeting and interpreting other words/concepts. Believe the “right” concepts and be “saved”. It is like Alan Watts’ metaphor of a library full of books--all about other books!

All such words are either just words about--or are pointings-to (even in words, words serving an elicitive function only). Reality is prior to all our “abouts”. Music is one means of cutting through the “abouts”. (And these, of course, are just words about music! πŸ™‚ )

Hearing the mockingbird sing,
why should I begin to worry
over his failure to explain?

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
29 May 10

But apparently "The Ramones" can trigger some peoples emotions. I saw them. They were tapping their feet alongπŸ™‚
You were a happy family you, mom and duddy?
😡

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
29 May 10

Originally posted by vistesd
So many words about a wordless art! πŸ™‚ (I assume we’re not talking about lyrics here.) One does not need words or concepts (or preconceptions) to be moved by music--or any other non-representational art form. One is moved (for those who are moved; exceptions granted) by the expression of coherence/harmony--concordance as opposed to discordance.

Such ...[text shortened]... __

Hearing the mockingbird sing,
why should I begin to worry
over his failure to explain?
I Am the Music
😡

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
29 May 10

Originally posted by black beetle
You were a happy family you, mom and duddy?
😡
...and sis, yep.No compaints.

i was just thinking how my favourite, most enduring music that I like, I first hated or found abrasive when I first heard. (Janes addiction,Nick Cave,Primus,Tool,etc.)

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
30 May 10

Is there anyone at all (in the whole world) , that doesn't like some form of music?
Could music possibly be the only thing that 100% of people appreciate?
same as all art i guess?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
30 May 10

Originally posted by divegeester
same as all art i guess?
I dont know. Perhaps a bit more intelligence could be required to appreciate art.

I am reminded of art sales vs music sales. I dont know the exact fugures but I presume it would be no comparison,(ie. quantity of units sold, not the amount its sold for)

j

Moves
30 May 10

I love music. I compose myself and play musical instruments.

As nice a music is it cannot fill the deepest longings in my spirit.
Only Jesus Christ can.

I have been to tremendous outpourings of music. When it was over I still felt a little empty. I have been a musician pracitcally all my life. But music cannot fill my innermost being.

Only the Son of God can fill my innermost being. He makes the music much more meaningful. And he truly puts a song in my heart.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
30 May 10

Originally posted by jaywill
I love music. I compose myself and play musical instruments.

As nice a music is it cannot fill the deepest longings in my spirit.
Only Jesus Christ can.

I have been to tremendous outpourings of music. When it was over I still felt a little empty. I have been a musician pracitcally all my life. But music cannot fill my innermost being.

Only the ...[text shortened]... innermost being. He makes the music much more meaningful. And he truly puts a song in my heart.
I have heard similar things said about Amitaba Bhudda. Without meditating on him and having him them in their hearts , etc. they cannot reach the land of pure joy.

I'm ambivilent towards both claims.

w

Moves
31 May 10

Originally posted by duecer
In zen, the loudest sound is silence
Say what?

w

Moves
31 May 10
1 edit

Is there anyone at all (in the whole world) , that doesn't like some form of music?
Could music possibly be the only thing that 100% of people appreciate?
How does one then explain rap "music"? πŸ˜›

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
31 May 10

Originally posted by whodey
Say what?
he said in Zen the loudest sound is silence.
To understand this simple, short statement, one must examine and understand what the nouns in this sentence mean.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
31 May 10

Originally posted by whodey
How does one then explain rap "music"? πŸ˜›
Beastie Boys,Cypress Hill and some other rap music is cool .
I reckon (rap) music has saved many lives, if not the whole world.
It is a very delicate balance between life and death, a balance that has been slightly tipped in the favour of life by such forces as music amongst other things.

s

Moves
31 May 10

Beastie Boys,Cypress Hill and some other rap music is cool .
I reckon (rap) music has saved many lives, if not the whole world.
It is a very delicate balance between life and death, a balance that has been slightly tipped in the favour of life by such forces as music amongst other things.
Rap music is an expression of the inner man. I am not talking about what is out there today, the repetitious, empty, vanity riddled garbage they are calling rap music, lucrative as it is. No, I am referencing the origins of rap, what is was when it was created is what it truly is and what is at its core. It is an expression of the inner man, his trials and sufferings, his pain and joy and all that he is in the form of rhyme. Rap has lost this, its essence, because of the lucrative nature of glorifying wealth to the masses. Rap is the speech of the hearts of men expressed in rhyme.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
31 May 10

Originally posted by seer
Rap music is an expression of the inner man. I am not talking about what is out there today, the repetitious, empty, vanity riddled garbage they are calling rap music, lucrative as it is. No, I am referencing the origins of rap, what is was when it was created is what it truly is and what is at its core. It is an expression of the inner man, his trials and suff ...[text shortened]... e of glorifying wealth to the masses. Rap is the speech of the hearts of men expressed in rhyme.
I guess this is an answer to Whodey and not me, as I agree with your basic contention.