1. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Oct '15 17:581 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Then go back and read again. Pretending-to-miss-the-point is one of your least funny routines, robbie.
    perhaps if you were not so cynical you may simply be able to grasp they way you actually come across to people, there was no attempt at humour, the impression that you are giving is that you think that there is a correlation between domestic violence and low divorce, of course its easier for you to call into questions the motive of the person telling you this rather than let reality sink in. Nothing you have said makes any sense unless you think that violence and low divorce are related, no not a single thing.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '15 18:00
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    No i have already cited the reasons why I think divorce is low in India, these are religious, moral and cultural reasons.
    Of course there are reasons why the divorce rate is low in India. It is not disputed. But this low rate does not mean that Indian marriage can be cited as an ideal. You have said you recognize the horror of too many marriages in India ~ far from ideal ~ probably just about the worst country in the world to pick. If you still refer to the low divorce rate as a reason why Indian marriage can be cited as an ideal, then how is this anything other than you trying to disguise the horror for your personal ideological reasons.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '15 18:01
    perhaps if you were not so cynical you may simply be able to grasp they way you actually come across to people, there was no attempt at humour, the impression that you are giving is that you think that there is a correlation between domestic violence and low divorce, of course its easier for you to call into questions the motive of the person telling ...[text shortened]... kes any sense unless you think that violence and low divorce are related, no not a single thing.
    You're just pretending I've said something other than what I've said, attacking that, and not addressing what I have said.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Oct '15 18:02
    Originally posted by FMF
    Of course there are reasons why the divorce rate is low in India. It is not disputed. But this low rate does not mean that Indian marriage can be cited as an ideal. You have said you recognize the horror of too many marriages in India ~ far from ideal ~ probably just about the worst country in the world to pick. If you still refer to the low divorce rate as a re ...[text shortened]... his anything other than you trying to disguise the horror for your personal ideological reasons.
    We cannot cite low divorce rates in India as being predominately the result of religious and cultural aspects? Why not?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Oct '15 18:021 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    You're just pretending I've said something other than what I've said, attacking that, and not addressing what I have said.
    I am sorry nothing you say makes much sense.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '15 18:03
    We cannot cite low divorce rates in India as being predominately the result of religious and cultural aspects? Why not?
    I haven't said that you cannot. I haven';t said anything remotely like this. Please just address what I am actually saying.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '15 18:04
    I am sorry nothing you say makes much sense.
    Answer this: if it were easier (economically, culturally) for battered women to divorce their violent husbands, rather than be trapped in dysfunctional marriages characterized by domestic violence and abuse, wouldn't that be a positive thing that we could all welcome?

Would you accept a higher divorce rate if it meant that more women could escape safe and sound (and financially viable) from physically abusive marriages?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Oct '15 18:06
    Originally posted by FMF
    I haven't said that you cannot. I haven';t said anything remotely like this. Please just address what I am actually saying.
    this appear to me to be what you are saying
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Oct '15 18:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    Answer this: if it were easier (economically, culturally) for battered women to divorce their violent husbands, rather than be trapped in dysfunctional marriages characterized by domestic violence and abuse, wouldn't that be a positive thing that we could all welcome?

Would you accept a higher divorce rate if it meant that more women could escape safe and sound (and financially viable) from physically abusive marriages?
    I just want some evidence to consider.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '15 18:10
    I just want some evidence to consider.
    It's a question. Is this yet another serious topic ~ the violence, abuse and rape of women within their marriage ~ that you cannot discuss seriously?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '15 18:11
    this appear to me to be what you are saying
    I am not claiming that the low divorce rate causes violence.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Oct '15 18:401 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am not claiming that the low divorce rate causes violence.
    no one has said you are, the impression that you are giving is that the divorce rate is low because of the threat of violence. the impression that you are giving is that marriage for the vast majority of women in India is a horrific experience. The impression that you are giving is that you are willing to ignore all social, cultural and religious norms. these are the impressions that you are giving.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Oct '15 18:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    It's a question. Is this yet another serious topic ~ the violence, abuse and rape of women within their marriage ~ that you cannot discuss seriously?
    someone who can produce no evidence and who ignores the evidence that others have provided has no recourse to lecture anyone about what may be taken seriously or not.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '15 18:55
    no one has said you are, the impression that you are giving is that the divorce rate is low because of the threat of violence. the impression that you are giving is that marriage for the vast majority of women in India is a horrific experience. The impression that you are giving is that you are willing to ignore all social, cultural and religious norms. these are the impressions that you are giving.
    I am not claiming that the low divorce rate causes violence. I am not claiming that the divorce rate is low because of the threat of violence. I am saying it is grotesque to cite the reality of Indian culture as some sort of marital paradigm that others ought to emulate. And I think citing the low divorce rate in support of such an odious paradigm is indefensible. Amid your rhetorical clowning, it seems your ideology trumps any genuine concern you might have for battered women.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '15 19:19
    someone who can produce no evidence and who ignores the evidence that others have provided has no recourse to lecture anyone about what may be taken seriously or not.
    What do you want evidence of? That there's an appalling rate of domestic violence? That there are cultural pressures that keep the divorce rate low? What evidence is it you are asking for?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree