1. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    13 Feb '07 21:19
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Almost all references to homosexuality in the Bible do not refer to gay relationships that we tend to think of today, but rather a form of pedophilia where children were kept in a form of slavery and sexually exploited.
    Would you allow a pedophile that engages in consensual relations with pubescent teens into your church and its leadership?
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    13 Feb '07 21:25
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Would you allow a pedophile that engages in consensual relations with pubescent teens into your church and its leadership?
    No. What's your point? Would you allow Fred Phelps to assume leadership in your church?
  3. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    13 Feb '07 21:38
    No. What's your point? Would you allow Fred Phelps to assume leadership in your church?
    It seems like you would have no problem with whatever consensual adults do in the privacy of their own house -- so long as it's within a committed relationship. I'm only trying to figure out where your "taboo-line" starts.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Feb '07 21:46
    The blind leading the blind.
  5. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    13 Feb '07 21:51
    Originally posted by josephw
    The blind leading the blind.
    Elucidate.
  6. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '07 22:17
    Absolutely!
    Yeah, I am still undecided on this.

It seems on one hand, the answer should be no because of the passage in the bible that talks about the requirements for church leadership (things like having self control and that if a man cannot run his own family well, then he has no place looking after the church family). In Australia, there have been many many church leaders (even politicians) who step down/are removed after it is discovered they are having an affair or something of that nature. Doesn't it seem unwise that someone who is conciously (sp?) not living in God's plan for their life be involved in leading His church?

Which then says to me, well, that passage of scripture I mentioned earlier puts sexual immorality in the same boat as lying, greed, stealing getting drunk etc. And there are people in church leadership that lie all the time. So, perhaps the homosexuality debate has been blown out of proportion as it is less of a socially acceptable sin than, say, lying.

So, as you can see, I'm six of one, half dozen of the other on this. Can anybody (particularly the Rev) enlighten me?
  7. CA, USA
    Moves
    13 Feb '07 22:221 edit
    Lotsa passages in that book .. one of 'em says "Judge not, lest ye be judged.", or sompin like that.
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    13 Feb '07 22:42
    Originally posted by Crita
    Yeah, I am still undecided on this.

It seems on one hand, the answer should be no because of the passage in the bible that talks about the requirements for church leadership (things like having self control and that if a man cannot run his own family well, then he has no place looking after the church family). In Australia, there have been many many church ...[text shortened]... six of one, half dozen of the other on this. Can anybody (particularly the Rev) enlighten me?
    I once belonged to a church that had a very supportive ministry to gays and lesbians. There was a gay couple in the chcurch that adopted this bi-racial baby. The wierd part of this story is that both "parents" were white. The birth mother had a relationship ,unbeknownst to the father, with a black man. When the baby was born , they swooped him right out and nothing was "discovered."

This young gay couple that adopted this child bring him to church three days a week. They actively participate in the religious education of this child and other children in the church. It was never an "issue" for the church. These young men are by no means "flamers" and you would look at this child as a very well adapted and adjusted child.

So we must ask, "Does God limit his grace based on sexual preference?" Apparently not in this case.
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    13 Feb '07 22:42
    It seems like you would have no problem with whatever consensual adults do in the privacy of their own house -- so long as it's within a committed relationship. I'm only trying to figure out where your "taboo-line" starts.
    You are right that I have no problem with that.
  10. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    13 Feb '07 22:46
    You are right that I have no problem with that.
    ...and I'll have to play 20 questions to find out what I want? 🙂
  11. Standard memberAcemaster
    Checkmate 2 U!
    Checkmating you!
    Moves
    13 Feb '07 22:48
    Originally posted by jammer
    Lotsa passages in that book .. one of 'em says "Judge not, lest ye be judged.", or sompin like that.
    You know more about the Bible than I thought you did! In Greek, judge is the word "krino" meaning to "try", as in a court trial. Jesus is talking about you acting like a judge and sentencing someone, not judging a belief on its credibility.
  12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    13 Feb '07 22:50
    ...and I'll have to play 20 questions to find out what I want? 🙂
    Keep the commandments , love your neighbor as yourself. If you ask anymore, be careful as I may suggest you sell all you have and give it to the poor.
  13. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    13 Feb '07 22:551 edit
    Keep the commandments , love your neighbor as yourself. If you ask anymore, be careful as I may suggest you sell all you have and give it to the poor.
    Fair enough, Rev.
  14. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '07 23:00
    So we must ask, "Does God limit his grace based on sexual preference?" Apparently not in this case.
    I completely agree that God doesn't limit His grace based on sexual preference, but that is a different matter to being involved in church leadership.

I attend a church that welcomes and accepts anybody, irregardless of race, past, criminal record, sexual preference or anything else. However, not everybody is an eligible candidate for being involved in church leadership.

For example, if I was given to fits of rage and violence, I doubt I would be a good leader in any environment, let alone in the church.

Just out of interest kirksey957, do you believe sexual orientation is a choice or of a genetic cause?
  15. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    13 Feb '07 23:07
    Originally posted by Crita
    I completely agree that God doesn't limit His grace based on sexual preference, but that is a different matter to being involved in church leadership.

I attend a church that welcomes and accepts anybody, irregardless of race, past, criminal record, sexual preference or anything else. However, not everybody is an eligible candidate for being involved in chur ...[text shortened]... ut of interest kirksey957, do you believe sexual orientation is a choice or of a genetic cause?
    I think sexaul energy and orientation is along a continuum. While I am heterosexual, I have no problem with having gay friends or physically embracing them. I tend to think that homosexuality can be genetic and also have roots in the psychological make-up of a family. I do not think it is fair to ask someone to change their sexual orientation or present them with a plan to do that as I consider it dishonest. I could never imagine going to "restorative therapy" to change my orientation. It is interesting that this therapy only goes in one direction. I've never heard of a straight person going to restorative therapy to be changed to a gay person. It would be kind of fun for someone to go to one of these persons and request it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree