1. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    25 May '08 06:00
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    And if you "checked 10 pages of your posts", then you must not be able to read--I only had to look under one rock to find an example of the bile you spew. But that's jyst me...
    I'm so glad I got under your skin. It makes me smile.

You can't take a logical critique of your position? Fine. Go sit with all the other Christians who can't take it when people analyse their beliefs rationally.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 May '08 08:25
    .--- --- ... -. ---.. --..-- ...-- -....
    You don't know morse code very well either, it looks like you just wrote "josnoi,36" I can tell you are not a ham. I am. AI3N.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 May '08 08:28
    Originally posted by scottishinnz

You can't take a logical critique of your position? Fine. Go sit with all the other Christians who can't take it when people analyse their beliefs rationally.
    That does seem to be the bottom line psycologically with this dude, doesn't it. Say anything that alludes to his 'faith' being 'tosh' and he freaks out. I'm glad is isn't just me. Pink Floyd, when a bunch of people see you for what you are, you should look in a mirror to find out why you are so islamofacist in your attitude towards religion. You are a reactionary, no doubt about it.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 May '08 08:422 edits
    I follow Christ because He is the Son of God and without him, I have no hope. If you deem this a selfish desire for eternal life, so be it. But if I were selfish, I doubt I would want to share this bounty with others, and I do. You're right about works not factoring into salvation--however good works will be rewarded in heaven. Some "lights will shine b so to speak. And the road to hell/good intentions isn't biblical, so I can't address that.
    Let me tell you a true story. My family and I were on vacation in Canada a few years ago. We came across a semi on its side off the road, a bunch of people staring at it. I stopped the car, got out, and went over to see what was up. What I saw was this: People, about a dozen, were staring at the truck with stupid white trash looks on their faces, and there was the driver inside the cab wrapped up like a pretzel around the passenger side chair pinning him inside the cab, could not even move. You could plainly see that through the windshield. The next thing I saw was fuel leaking out of the fuel tank onto the cab. That was all it took for me, I looked at those idiots just staring, and started to climb the side of the truck, it's amazingly large when you are trying to climb up the side of the truck like that, and I saw if I just banged in the windshield, I would be taking a chance of driving broken glass into his eyes so I kept climbing to the top and got my feet inside and whacked out the windshield from the INSIDE thereby forcing the glass to the outside. Then I grabbed that twisted chair and pulled up and he was in pain but able to extricate himself and climb out the hole where the windshield was. His girlfriend had gotten out and they had a tearful reunion, meanwhile nobody else in that stupid crowd ever lifted a finger, just staring dumbly at the action. What I saw was a disaster in the making and took immediate action, totally instictual, not even thinking about anything but the specter of that guy burning up inside the truck if it caught fire. There was no 'god will reward me for this' before, during, or after. It was done with no conscience thought at all exept looking at a possible bad outcome and I jumped up and literally saved this dude. I am just telling you this true story not in hopes you will now 'like' me, I have no such delusion, merely to point out some people do things without reference to some heavenly reward. After he got out and it was shown he was shaken but not hurt too badly, we took off down the road, not needing accolades or any of that attaboy crap. Take that how you want it.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 May '08 09:36

Go sit with all the other Christians who can't take it when people analyse their beliefs rationally.

All the other Christians? A bit hasty aren't you? It sounds as if you arbitrarily lump all Christians together as people who "can't take it".

I'll go toe to toe with anybody. I can't lose. After all, I know I'm right. Yes, I know I'll make mistakes and say stupid things and make an argument that is unsound and illogical, but in the end I know that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.

Besides, I'm here for the fun of it! 😉
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 May '08 09:41
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Let me tell you a true story. My family and I were on vacation in Canada a few years ago. We came across a semi on its side off the road, a bunch of people staring at it. I stopped the car, got out, and went over to see what was up. What I saw was this: People, about a dozen, were staring at the truck with stupid white trash looks on their faces, and there ...[text shortened]... own the road, not needing accolades or any of that attaboy crap. Take that how you want it.
    Must have felt good though knowing you probably saved that guys life.

I don't know why, but in my 50+ years I've never been a witness to a single tragedy where my actions might result in the saving of a persons life.

Unless you count the people I've lead to the Lord, thereby saving their eternal souls. But I can't take credit for that anyway.
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    25 May '08 09:54
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]Go sit with all the other Christians who can't take it when people analyse their beliefs rationally.

All the other Christians? A bit hasty aren't you? It sounds as if you arbitrarily lump all Christians together as people who "can't take it".

I'll go toe to toe with anybody. I can't lose. After all, I know I'm right. Yes, I know I'll make mista ...[text shortened]... Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.

Besides, I'm here for the fun of it! 😉[/b]
    No. Re-read it. "Christians who can't take it" is the operative phrase.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 May '08 10:03
    No. Re-read it. "Christians who can't take it" is the operative phrase.
    I may be a bit confused. What do you mean, " No. Re-read it. "Christians who can't take it" is the operative phrase?

It's too early in the morning. I was just reading through the last couple of pages of this thread and it appeared as though pinkfloyd was getting beat up pretty good, so I just jumped in to see what would happen!
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    25 May '08 11:56
    Originally posted by josephw
    I may be a bit confused. What do you mean, " No. Re-read it. "Christians who can't take it" is the operative phrase?

It's too early in the morning. I was just reading through the last couple of pages of this thread and it appeared as though pinkfloyd was getting beat up pretty good, so I just jumped in to see what would happen!
    Ah, I wanted to post a longer reply [to you Joe], but didn't have time earlier.

As you well know, Joe, I often vehemently disagree with your viewpoints. As I'm sure you are also well aware, I like you as a person, and I enjoy talking with you.

When it comes to debates, you know I don't back away from fights, and I don't mince words. I don't go out to hurt people's feelings, but if someone says something which is internally inconsistent, or hypocritical, or intellectually dishonest, I'll be among the first to pull them up on it. I've done it with you before, and I should hope others do it with me too.

In this case, PinkFloyd had said that without God his natural reaction to someone being mean to him would be to cut their head off. He later retracted that statement when pressed on it.

He claims to follow Jesus because "without Him I have no hope". This is therefore a selfish behaviour. He tried to claim it not to be though. He tried to dress himself up as some kind of martyr for Jesus, when in fact his actions are fully mandated by the bible as actions that he is required to do for his faith. I pulled him up on that. He threw his toys out of the pram.

I have no problem talking at length with you. I disagree frequently with you, and I sometimes feel you repeat fallacies that I cannot believe you do not know to be such. However, that said, you don't attempt to dress yourself up as some down trodden ill-done-by misunderstood soul. You maintain your dignity, and your integrity in a way which is admirable. You can certainly "take it" when it comes to your beliefs being criticised.

Be well, my friend.
  10. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    25 May '08 11:58
    underneath the disdain non-believers feel towards believers lies a feeling of inadequecy. You are filled with fear and doubt, and by denegrating what you have failed to understand, you try and gain some self validation. I feel sorry for you that there is no mystery in your life.
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    25 May '08 12:25
    Originally posted by duecer
    underneath the disdain non-believers feel towards believers lies a feeling of inadequecy. You are filled with fear and doubt, and by denegrating what you have failed to understand, you try and gain some self validation. I feel sorry for you that there is no mystery in your life.
    And I feel sorry that you are unable to treat individuals as individuals, and instead play some hackneyed stereotype which simply isn't true.

I feel perfectly "adequate".
  12. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    25 May '08 14:21
    And I feel sorry that you are unable to treat individuals as individuals, and instead play some hackneyed stereotype which simply isn't true.

I feel perfectly "adequate".
    you are not an individual, you are an anonymous poster on a chess website, that has yet to reveal any personal insite into your faith or lack thereof
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    25 May '08 14:57
    you are not an individual, you are an anonymous poster on a chess website, that has yet to reveal any personal insite into your faith or lack thereof
    you are not an individual

Well, that's quite a revelation!

you are an anonymous poster on a chess website,

Well, not really. Most people around here know my full name.

that has yet to reveal any personal insite into your faith or lack thereof

Again, not really. Most people around here know my feelings regarding the supernatural.

If you require it to be spelt out for you, then I am an atheist, who believes in finding rational explanations for the universe and the phenomena therein. On a personal level, I believe in banishing ignorance and those who seek to manipulate others (especially children, for example, ID proponents, who seek to effectively brainwash children into believing in God when they are too young to make any type of informed decision) for duplicitious reasons.
  14. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    25 May '08 15:02
    [b]you are not an individual

Well, that's quite a revelation!

you are an anonymous poster on a chess website,

Well, not really. Most people around here know my full name.

that has yet to reveal any personal insite into your faith or lack thereof

Again, not really. Most people around here know my feelings regarding ...[text shortened]... in God when they are too young to make any type of informed decision) for duplicitious reasons.[/b]
    thank you for underscoring my point above
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    25 May '08 15:04
    thank you for underscoring my point above
    You are crazy.

And not in a good way.

You didn't have a point, just a hackneyed stereotype.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree