1. weedhopper
    Moves
    25 May '08 17:15
    Originally posted by josephw
    I may be a bit confused. What do you mean, " No. Re-read it. "Christians who can't take it" is the operative phrase?

It's too early in the morning. I was just reading through the last couple of pages of this thread and it appeared as though pinkfloyd was getting beat up pretty good, so I just jumped in to see what would happen!
    Hello Joseph. Just wanted to clarify something: I never retracted anything--left to my own devices and if I were "God" and felt I could do anything I wanted, without social repurcussions (like going to prison, or worse), I would most definitely resort to violence when insulted and bullied. My point was I do NOT have that option because Christians don't act any way they want. Revenge belongs to the Lord, we pray for our enemies, you know the drill.
    I had, and still have, only one point: bullies are the lowest form of life on the planet. That's all I was saying.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 May '08 17:292 edits
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    [b]I never retracted anything--left to my own devices and if I were "God" and felt I could do anything I wanted, without social repurcussions (like going to prison, or worse), I would most definitely resort to violence when insulted and bullied.
    [/b]Yet another example of how little regard you have for the teachings of Jesus.

If you understood and believed in Jesus, you would not make a statement like this. You wouldn't even think it.

Jesus asks for your heart. Is it too much to humble yourself to Him?
  3. weedhopper
    Moves
    25 May '08 17:56
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Yet another example of how little regard you have for the teachings of Jesus.

If you understood and believed in Jesus, you would not make a statement like this. You wouldn't even think it.

Jesus asks for your heart. Is it too much to humble yourself to Him?[/b]
    Who are you to tell anyone that they "don't understand Jesus". Can you see into the hearts of men? No--only God can. You are not the arbiter of what makes a good Christian and what does not. Arrogance, thy name is ToO.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 May '08 18:093 edits
    Who are you to tell anyone that they "don't understand Jesus". Can you see into the hearts of men? No--only God can. You are not the arbiter of what makes a good Christian and what does not. Arrogance, thy name is ToO.
    You've made perfectly clear what is in your heart:
    "My "real values" would be to respond to someone who did me harm or insulted me by cutting off his head and ----ting down his neck. Another would be to exact revenge on another by going after his family, as that would likely hurt the offender more than anything I could do to him personally."

"I never retracted anything--left to my own devices and if I were "God" and felt I could do anything I wanted, without social repurcussions (like going to prison, or worse), I would most definitely resort to violence when insulted and bullied."

Are you saying that you believe that Jesus would condone the above? I have to believe that He'd be strongly opposed.
  5. weedhopper
    Moves
    25 May '08 18:14
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    You've made perfectly clear what is in your heart:
    [b]"My "real values" would be to respond to someone who did me harm or insulted me by cutting off his head and ----ting down his neck. Another would be to exact revenge on another by going after his family, as that would likely hurt the offender more than anything I could do to him personally."

"I nev ...[text shortened]... elieve that Jesus condones the above? I have to believe that He'd be strongly opposed.
    He doesn't condone sin; He forgives, which is a mighty good thing for me...and you.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 May '08 19:58
    Hello Joseph. Just wanted to clarify something: I never retracted anything--left to my own devices and if I were "God" and felt I could do anything I wanted, without social repurcussions (like going to prison, or worse), I would most definitely resort to violence when insulted and bullied. My point was I do NOT have that option because Christians don't ...[text shortened]... nly one point: bullies are the lowest form of life on the planet. That's all I was saying.
    And the easiest to beat up too. Not that I condone beating up bullies, but I would have no qualms about defending the innocent or myself if one where to take a notion to pushing me around. Otherwise I try to be as meek as I can.

Ro 12:18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    26 May '08 00:58
    I never retracted anything--left to my own devices and if I were "God" and felt I could do anything I wanted, without social repurcussions (like going to prison, or worse), I would most definitely resort to violence when insulted and bullied.
    Ah, so it was just hyperbole then.

And, of course, we do not live in a society without social repercussions - thanks to evolution.
  8. weedhopper
    Moves
    26 May '08 14:33
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Ah, so it was just hyperbole then.

And, of course, we do not live in a society without social repercussions - thanks to evolution.
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    27 May '08 02:29
    left to my own devices and if I were "God" and felt I could do anything I wanted, without social repurcussions (like going to prison, or worse), I would most definitely resort to violence when insulted and bullied. My point was I do NOT have that option because Christians don't act any way they want. Revenge belongs to the Lord, we pray for our enemies, you know the drill.
    You have a thoroughly unpleasant God, who resorts to revenge. I personally don't believe in revenge - it's a pointless waste of time. It seems a shame that your God can't even live up to the morals of ME. I mean, you guys claim your God to be the source of all morality, yet he behaves like a petulant 4 year old.

Of course, based on your above quote, I can only assume you to be a thoroughly unpleasant person. If you truly would resort to violence as a way to resolve conflict, then you really don't understand the teachings of Jesus. The point Jesus was trying to make is that we should be nice people anyway, with everything else following from there. If your quote is accurate, it sounds like you are only following th erules because you are afraid of the consequences. This is not following Jesus' example, it is merely playing lip service to it. But don't worry, your God can see through it, and I'm sure, if he exists, he'll know what to do.

However, truth be told, I don't believe you are quite so pugnacious, not such a truculant individual. Fond of the melodrama apparently, but, I suspect, actually rather benign. I think you are trying to paint a negative picture of how you would be as an atheist, for the sole purpose of trying to make atheists look bad. An intellectually dishonest tactic, but harmless enough.
  10. weedhopper
    Moves
    27 May '08 06:36
    You have a thoroughly unpleasant God, who resorts to revenge. I personally don't believe in revenge - it's a pointless waste of time. It seems a shame that your God can't even live up to the morals of ME. I mean, you guys claim your God to be the source of all morality, yet he behaves like a petulant 4 year old.

Of course, based on your above quot ...[text shortened]... ng to make atheists look bad. An intellectually dishonest tactic, but harmless enough.
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    27 May '08 07:16
    Hmm, maybe you are truculent.

Seriously, I don't care whether you respond or not - everyone else is getting a good laugh at your expense though.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 May '08 07:51

Of course, based on your above quot ...[text shortened]... ng to make atheists look bad. An intellectually dishonest tactic, but harmless enough.
    You say you don't believe in revenge, but don't you think your post is a form of revenge?

I think you have misjudged PinkFloyd. I think he is using restraint.
  13. Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 May '08 12:02
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Let me tell you a true story. My family and I were on vacation in Canada a few years ago. We came across a semi on its side off the road, a bunch of people staring at it. I stopped the car, got out, and went over to see what was up. What I saw was this: People, about a dozen, were staring at the truck with stupid white trash looks on their faces, and there ...[text shortened]... own the road, not needing accolades or any of that attaboy crap. Take that how you want it.
    No, you just used the story to gain self-gratification of being an "unsung hero", which is a bit arrogant now that you're "singing" it yourself.
  14. Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 May '08 12:07
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    [b]Question 1 (with many parts): Why do people choose to have faith in God? What is the motivator? What are you getting out of it? Why does it make sense to do so to you?

Faith should not be a matter of choice. For starters, we do not exercise control over what we believe. We can reason and conclude that a certain belief is most coherent; we cannot, ...[text shortened]...

Question 2: Can you provide an example of a truly virtuous act, please?

Martyrdom.[/b]
    So, are you saying that we don't have free will to choose our own beliefs?

MArtyrdom is FAR from anything resembling a truly virtuous act. Martyrdom is most often confused with stubborness or a need to be the center of attention.
  15. weedhopper
    Moves
    27 May '08 15:37
    Hmm, maybe you are truculent.

Seriously, I don't care whether you respond or not - everyone else is getting a good laugh at your expense though.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree