1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Sep '11 19:16
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    whatever one 'believes' or does in life is irrelevant. whatever will be will be.

the way i see it, there are 3 possible outcomes of what to expect after life:

1- oblivion / no problem here.

2- the universe is ultimately ruled by benevolent god/entities
    / no problem here again, it means either:
    2a- you take what you learned from your life on ea ...[text shortened]... viewed with pity and anyone who actively supports them will be viewed with scorn and disgust.
    so, let me get this straight.

#2 - benevolent god - meaning one who agrees with you and your concept that you can sin as much as you want and still get away with it.

#3 - mentally deranged god - meaning one to whom any sin is abhorrent and will punish you accordingly.

ok, got it.

I just see this as kind of serf-serving. But what else should I expect?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Sep '11 20:02
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    #3 - mentally deranged god - meaning one to whom any sin is abhorrent and will punish you accordingly.
    I am curious whether you can do any better than other theists in the past in explaining to me what purpose this punishment serves? Is it revenge? Is it as a deterrent? Is it to teach a lesson?
    I consider a God who punishes without a purpose mentally deranged, but if he has a purpose, I am willing to hear suggestions as to what that purpose may be.
  3. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    13 Sep '11 00:031 edit

#2 - benevolent god - meaning one who agrees with you and your concept that you can sin as much as you want and still get away with it.

ok, got it.

no you didn't get it. apparently, you skipped right over 2b.

what else should i have expected from a slave of a deranged god?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Sep '11 00:59
    Please be sure to let us all know how that works out for you.

Preferably before the wailing and gnashing of teeth, of course.
    I feel sorry for your delusions, yours and a billion others, well at least 2 billion. All deluded. You know, all 7 billion of us wishing all at once for a god will not bring one here, right?
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Sep '11 01:10
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I feel sorry for your delusions, yours and a billion others, well at least 2 billion. All deluded. You know, all 7 billion of us wishing all at once for a god will not bring one here, right?
    One's already here, my friend. The delusion's all yours.

Whatever helps you to sleep at night, I guess.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Sep '11 01:15

ok, got it.

He has made a god or idol for himself because he does not like the idea
    that he might have to account for the things he has done while in the
    body.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Sep '11 01:16
    no you didn't get it. apparently, you skipped right over 2b.

what else should i have expected from a slave of a deranged god?
    2b?

"2b- some form of justice: you will have a finite punishment for finite crimes, after which you will be rehabilitated and continue on your journey."

I left it out as it is nonsensical.

"For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of God [is] eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." -- Romans 6:23, KJV

The death that is in store for the unbelievers is not one you could be rehabilitated from.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Sep '11 01:19
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I am curious whether you can do any better than other theists in the past in explaining to me what purpose this punishment serves? Is it revenge? Is it as a deterrent? Is it to teach a lesson?
    I consider a God who punishes without a purpose mentally deranged, but if he has a purpose, I am willing to hear suggestions as to what that purpose may be.
    Vengence is mine, saith the Lord God Almighty. It is to provide justice.
    Surely, you don't expect to get away the the wrong you have done
    forever.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Sep '11 01:401 edit
    Again, the answer is in Romans 6:23.

"For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of God [is] eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

God cannot abide sinners in Heaven. He already had a few there and He kicked them out. Now they work hard daily on Earth to bring about the fall of Man. And if numbers are any indication, they're well ahead of schedule.

The Good News (or "Gospel" ) is that He sent His Son to pay for our sins. Those who do not believe in Him reject this salvation, and are therefore condemned to pay for their own sins. And the wages of sin is death. And, I believe, an eternal separation from God. With the Resurrection, Christ showed His triumph over death. Sinful man is incapable of this triumph, and his death will not only be physical, but spiritual as well, a complete destruction of the soul; a second death, if you will, taking place after Judgement.

What purpose does this punishment serve? It is a culling of the wheat from the chaff. Those who deserve Heaven move on. Those who do not, do not.
  10. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    13 Sep '11 05:133 edits
    2b?

"2b- some form of justice: you will have a finite punishment for finite crimes, after which you will be rehabilitated and continue on your journey."

"For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of God [is] eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." -- Romans 6:23, KJV

The death that is in store for the unbelievers is not one you could be rehabilitated from.
    it's nonsensical to worshipers of a demonic god who exacts vengeance and exhibits psychotic rage.

to any being who has a sense of justice however, it is the most sensible rule.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Sep '11 05:44
    What purpose does this punishment serve? It is a culling of the wheat from the chaff. Those who deserve Heaven move on. Those who do not, do not.
    So the punishment itself serves no purpose? Your description of God is most definitely that of a deranged being.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Sep '11 05:45

So here we are discussing various possible Gods and for you, anything that doesn't match the exact prescriptions of your Bible is necessarily nonsensical?
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Sep '11 11:04
    it's nonsensical to worshipers of a demonic god who exacts vengeance and exhibits psychotic rage.

to any being who has a sense of justice however, it is the most sensible rule.
    Until you have read the Holy Bible through and through and can quote
    scripture references that prove your claim, I will continue to believe that
    what you say is nonsensical or influenced by the demon that is within.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Sep '11 11:10
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Until you have read the Holy Bible through and through and can quote
    scripture references that prove your claim, I will continue to believe that
    what you say is nonsensical or influenced by the demon that is within.
    dear ,oh dear. I'm lost for words

Are you seriously going to play that "demon within"-card?
    Even Galveston-75 resisted that and I saw that as a sign of reason and maturity.

Where to from now?
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Sep '11 11:14
    So here we are discussing various possible Gods and for you, anything that doesn't match the exact prescriptions of your Bible is necessarily nonsensical?
    If a so-called god does does not match the God and Creator of the universe
    described in the Holy Bible, then it is no god at all, but only the ramblings
    of a nonsesical mind. It is no better than the idol of any imaginary gods
    carved on a totempole.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree