1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '12 12:47
    Originally posted by galveston75
    For the few here that think the JW's are consumed in only preaching doom and gloom about the world now, here ya go. This is the hope that we teach to all and why we come to your doors.
    Is...

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/talk.religion.misc/btCIS7U_9bA

...a JW source? Is ZerVolf a JW?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '12 12:521 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ...it has deflected the thread towards his personality rather than the content of what he had to say...
    Your message to galveston75 seems to be something along the lines of 'no need to take responsibility for your actions' with a bit of 'we can blame the question mark over your honesty on how we are persecuted' thrown in. The thread has moved in parts towards his personality rather than the content because the content was plagiarized and his personality seems to make him do it. I'd certainly link his apparently personality to his doomsday obsession. Is the screed in the OP from a JW source as galveston75 implies? Was he honest about that?
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    04 Jul '12 14:14
    Originally posted by FMF
    galveston75 has been called out - and had this explained to him numerous times. You make it seem like it's the first time it's happened or that it was done unwittingly.
    I hope I didn't make it seem like it was the first time. Certainly I believe you and Rajk999 that this issue has arisen before. All the more reason to see if we can find a resolution.

However, pointing something out and the person accepting that they have done something wrong are two different things. If galveston75 does not believe he did anything wrong, why would anyone expect him to alter his behaviour?

Did galveston75 accept previously that what he had done was incorrect and agree not to do it again?
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    04 Jul '12 14:32
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ...it has deflected the thread towards his personality rather than the content of what he had to
    say
    , same old jive with them.
    (my emphasis)
    He didn't really say anything. That's precisely the problem.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '12 14:39
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Did galveston75 accept previously that what he had done was incorrect and agree not to do it again?
    Who knows? Maybe he just found being criticized offensive and put it down to how JWs are always being persecuted and all.
  6. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    04 Jul '12 14:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    Who knows? Maybe he just found being criticized offensive and put it down to how JWs are always being persecuted and all.
    Ok - I meant did he specifically acknowledge that it was incorrect not to attribute quotes. However, you have answered my question.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    04 Jul '12 15:01
    Ok - I meant did he specifically acknowledge that it was incorrect not to attribute quotes. However, you have answered my question.
    Have you ever seen either of them acknowledge that they said or did something wrong except it was a very trivial matter?

I cannot remember that happening. When they were called on the last few occasions they dismissed it as irrelevant and had a why-are-you-wasting-my-time attitude.
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    04 Jul '12 15:23
    Actually, when I saw the OP, I assumed, from the spacing and heading, that it was a quote. Perhaps SwissGambit thought the same which is why he tried to find the original.

However, I assumed it was a quote from a JW source, as galveston75 had said it was an example to show how JWs do not always preach doom and gloom.

Unless galveston75 is ...[text shortened]... re careful in the future, than to spend the rest of this thread arguing about what you intended.
    Thanks for your advise an I will take that to heart. But nothing sinister was meant by any of my post and the vast majority of my post do have comments from the publications from the WTS.
    Many have asked me before where that statement is from and I have always stated it is from the WTS and even the book or magazine it is from if they request that.
    I don't believe anyone has asked me such a question here in this thread.
    It's not that I am trying to take the credit for anything that is said from the WTS, but what most here need to understand, is that my thoughts are the same as what the WTS states and I see no problem in copying what is said by them in my post. If I typed my own words in my own thoughts it would pretty much be the same statement.
    I'm sorry that some here don't have those type of resourses that all JW's have to refer to and comment with. But I do and I will always use that resourse. If ones don't like it or approve of it, don't read my postings....
    Maybe if ones here would actually put their attention and reasoning power on the thoughts of those comments instead of picking at such silly issues as this, they might actually get the ideas of those comments and might be able to use that in their reasoning process of the thread.
    It seems to me as Robbie points out, is they seem to run from the context of the thread for some reason, maybe they can't come up with a responce which is fine, but it seems it always reverts to something that has nothing to do with the context of the issue.
  9. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    04 Jul '12 15:24
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Have you ever seen either of them acknowledge that they said or did something wrong except it was a very trivial matter?

I cannot remember that happening. When they were called on the last few occasions they dismissed it as irrelevant and had a why-are-you-wasting-my-time attitude.
    We all have a tendency to do this, I think. My former boss used to say to me "Never apologise". Never understood this. I find it draws all the sting, even if you think people are overreacting. And if they are not, then it's just plain good manners.

Anyway, galveston75, I really do believe it is important to make crystal clear and acknowledge when you are using other people's material, either through the use of quote marks and source references or, even better, by providing the link.

This is because it:

1 Avoids giving the impression, even inadvertently, that it is your material.

2 Allows people to see the quotes in context, which may be relevant.

3 Acknowleges the work of others

4 Is part of the accepted practice of posting in this community.

So, even if, as I suspect, you think people have overreacted to this, if you could agree to be clearer on this in the future, then we will save much time and hopefully can focus on the substance of what you are posting.
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    04 Jul '12 15:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    Is...

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/talk.religion.misc/btCIS7U_9bA

...a JW source? Is ZerVolf a JW?
    This link does not work.......
  11. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    04 Jul '12 15:291 edit
    Thanks for your advise an I will take that to heart. But nothing sinister was meant by any of my post and the vast majority of my post do have comments from the publications from the WTS.
    Many have asked me before where that statement is from and I have always stated it is from the WTS and even the book or magazine it is from if they request that.
    I ems it always reverts to something that has nothing to do with the context of the issue.
    Just to be clear, my previous post was written before I had read yours. They 'crossed in the post' as it were.🙂
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    04 Jul '12 15:33
    We all have a tendency to do this, I think. My former boss used to say to me "Never apologise". Never understood this. I find it draws all the sting, even if you think people are overreacting. And if they are not, then it's just plain good manners.

Anyway, galveston75, I really do believe it is important to make crystal clear and acknowledge wh ...[text shortened]... hen we will save much time and hopefully can focus on the substance of what you are posting.
    I have done this in the past when it comes to quoting from the WTS and the usual responce I get and I get it a lot is,"use your own words, not the words of the WTS".
    That does not seem to be fair as all of us use quotes from other sourses all the time. So knowing what the usual responce will be I see no need in posting that unless I'm asked. Then I will gladly supply that info...
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    04 Jul '12 15:33
    Just to be clear, my previous post was written before I had read yours. They 'crossed in the post' as it were.🙂
    No problem.....
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '12 15:34
    This link does not work.......
    If the link doesn't work, how did you manage to copy the text from there?
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    04 Jul '12 15:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    If the link doesn't work, how did you manage to copy the text from there?
    I don't know but copying it from your posting it doesn't work...

Where did you copy it from?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree