1. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    12 Apr '05 20:04
    Originally posted by elvendreamgirl
    I guess I don't know if I believe in God.
    It is very troubling.
    Why not? 🙂
  2. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    12 Apr '05 20:06
    Originally posted by Darfius
    What's that supposed to mean? 😠

I resemble that remark...
    Don't take offence, none intended... (well, if you want to, feel free), but I've struggled to find a thread to which either of you have contributed which sounded less like a debate or a discussion, and more like a sermon (which I suppose is appropriate, as you are trying to spread the word of "God"!).

Though if you're up for some healthy debate, the original proposition still stands - what does happen to non-Christians when they die? Let's lump Catholics in with them as well, I seem to recall you believe that Catholicism is a fundamentally flawed interpretation of the Bible (feel free to correct me here, as I'm going from my admittedly failing memory, rather than trawling through the threads).

Mother Theresa. Catholic. No doubt in my mind that if a (Christian) God exists in Heaven (still open to debate, but fot the argument's sake, I'll accept that premise), Mother Theresa will be up there with him (I doubt she was a secret axe-murderer, and all those good works must count for something).

Or did she end up in Hell, separated from God for all eternity? For following a false religion? This is where I have a big problem with your spin on Christianity and God.

Maybe we DO need to take this to a new thread...
  3. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    12 Apr '05 20:141 edit
    Originally posted by PawnCurry
    Don't take offence, none intended... (well, if you want to, feel free), but I've struggled to find a thread to which either of you have contributed which sounded less like a debate or a discussion, and more like a sermon (which I suppos ...[text shortened]... anity and God.

Maybe we DO need to take this to a new thread...
    I'm making another thread concerning Darv's comment. Please copy your last post into there when it's done.
  4. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    12 Apr '05 20:27

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    12 Apr '05 20:30
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Dude this sweet girl posts a thread looking to explore her trouble at belief in God and you quote SCripture. I can't think of a less effective way of bringing someone around. Come on, man. Can't you ever talk to people instead of just laying on the fire and brimstone? You're not arguing, you're quoting from a book.
    You can't think of a less effective way than letting God speak for Himself? I can. Every other way.

God says His Word will not return to Him void. I've asked her what exactly is troubling her, but I shan't think it is me doing the converting if she does.
  6. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    12 Apr '05 20:56

7. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    12 Apr '05 21:12
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    What? WHAT? What are you saying?
    Darfius missed his true calling: auctioneer.
  8. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    12 Apr '05 21:19
    Mother Theresa. Catholic. No doubt in my mind that if a (Christian) God exists in Heaven (still open to debate, but fot the argument's sake, I'll accept that premise), Mother Theresa will be up there with him (I doubt she was a secret axe-murderer, and all those good works must count for something).

Or did she end up in Hell, separated from God for al ...[text shortened]... g a false religion? This is where I have a big problem with your spin on Christianity and God...
    If there is one thing you should know about Christianity, it is no amount of good works will get you to heaven.

What counts is the work of Christ.

MT may be in heaven, but I don't know. What did she believe. If she believed she has earned it, then she may very well be in hell. If she counted on Christ alone to save her, she may be in heaven. In the end (or really from eternity) it is Christ who decides.
  9. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    12 Apr '05 21:26
    Originally posted by Coletti
    If there is one thing you should know about Christianity, it is no amount of good works will get you to heaven.

What counts is the work of Christ.

MT may be in heaven, but I don't know. What did she believe. If she believed she has earned it, then she may very well be in hell. If she counted on Christ alone to save her, she may be in heaven. In the end (or really from eternity) it is Christ who decides.
    I tell you what, if there's a chance Mother Theresa is in Hell, then that's where I'm heading! No 2 ways about it!

And I reckon Heaven's going to be awful lonely for a long, LONG time.

I've checked out the new thread Darfius started, and I've also read a similar thread referenced in it. What have I started?

I'd like to apologise to elvendreamgirl for accidentally hijacking her initial post. You seem to be asking similar questions to those which I've asked and continue to ask. My only advice is: be true to yourself and your own conscience. You'll get the answer you need one day.
  10. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    12 Apr '05 21:33

11. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    12 Apr '05 21:37
    I tell you what, if there's a chance Mother Theresa is in Hell, then that's where I'm heading! No 2 ways about it!

And I reckon Heaven's going to be awful lonely for a long, LONG time.

I've checked out the new thread Darfius started, and I've also read a similar thread referenced in it. What have I started?

I'd like to apologise to elvendre ...[text shortened]... advice is: be true to yourself and your own conscience. You'll get the answer you need one day.
    All I'm saying is:

1) You can't buy your way into heaven - even with good works
    2) Neither you or I can judge who will be going to heaven.

Good works are a sign of saving faith - but that is no guarantee - you won't get to heaven by "being a good person."

12. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    12 Apr '05 21:39
    Did Mother Teresa ever write anything about earning a place in heaven? Didn't she write a book? I don't know really.
  13. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    12 Apr '05 21:481 edit
    Originally posted by Coletti
    All I'm saying is:

1) You can't buy your way into heaven - even with good works
    2) Neither you or I can judge who will be going to heaven.

Good works are a sign of saving faith - but that is no guarantee - you won't get to heaven by "being a good person."

That may be true.

In which case, Hell doesn't sound so bad, as there's going to be an awful lot of "good people" in there. (Another plus point: no doubt some of the rapists and murderers will have repented their sins, accepted Jesus into their lives, and be winging their way into heaven).

All the great characters I've known are DEFINITELY hell-bound (they're either professed atheists, or have broken more Commandments than have actually been invented yet). So life won't get boring down below! OK so we won't be at one with God... but a Heaven full of rescued souls constantly praising the Almighty and drinking ambrosia, or swilling a few frosty ones in a Hell full of dudes who've lived life to the full, been generally decent chaps with a few Human flaws, who didn't read and abide by the Bible? How can that be punishment? Atheists don't BELIEVE in a God, so spending an eternity apart from him can't be considered punishment. So what benefit is there to them to seek redemption through Jesus Christ?

I could go on, and no doubt will. It's just this whole Heaven/Hell thing gets me going. Along with a few other things as well. 😕
  14. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    12 Apr '05 21:56
    That may be true.

In which case, Hell doesn't sound so bad, as there's going to be an awful lot of "good people" in there. (Another plus point: no doubt some of the rapists and murderers will have repented their sins, accepted Jesus into their lives, and be winging their way into heaven).

All the great characters I've known are DEFINITELY hell- ...[text shortened]... It's just this whole Heaven/Hell thing gets me going. Along with a few other things as well. 😕
    Atheists will know God exists in Hell, and since they won't even have the filtered access they do to Him on Earth, it will by no means be "fun", as Jesus warned.
  15. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    12 Apr '05 21:59

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree