1. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    14 Apr '07 17:391 edit
    ATY posted this in another thread—

Are you familiar with the logical fallacy called "No True Scotsman"?

Imagine Hamish McDonald, a Scotsman, sitting down with his Press and Journal and seeing an article about how the "Brighton Sex Maniac Strikes Again." Hamish is shocked and declares that "No Scotsman would do such a thing." The next day he sits down to read his Press and Journal again and this time finds an article about an Aberdeen man whose brutal actions make the Brighton sex maniac seem almost gentlemanly. This fact shows that Hamish was wrong in his opinion but is he going to admit this? Not likely. This time he says, "No true Scotsman would do such a thing."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

I’m interested in what people (especially Christians) on here think are the minimum requirements for one to be a “true Christian.” Rather than list them, I thought if enough people filled in the blank in the following question, after enough posts, a picture might begin to emerge. (And if some argument develops along the way, that’s good too.)

And, I also thought that it might be helpful to keep in mind the “No True Scotsman” fallacy in offering responses. So—

“No true Christian would _______________________.”

EDIT: Not a trick. It just sometimes seems helpful to “put the question” in a negative form, to see what happens when one looks at things from another angle...
  2. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    14 Apr '07 18:28
    Originally posted by vistesd

[i]Imagine Hamish McDonald, a Scotsman, sitting down with his Press and Journal and seeing an article about how the "Brighton Sex Maniac Strikes Again." Hamish is shocked and declares that "No Scotsman would do ...[text shortened]... ” in a negative form, to see what happens when one looks at things from another angle...
    go a day without falling short.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Apr '07 18:392 edits

[i]Imagine Hamish McDonald, a Scotsman, sitting down with his Press and Journal and seeing an article about how the "Brighton Sex Maniac Strikes Again." Hamish is shocked and declares that "No Scotsman wou ; in a negative form, to see what happens when one looks at things from another angle...
    [/i]1) allow desires of the self get in the way of following the Lord.

2) support capital punishment.

3) support the Bush administration.

amongst hundreds of others.
  4. CA, USA
    Moves
    14 Apr '07 19:06
    ...swallow this bait.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 02:17

[i]Imagine Hamish McDonald, a Scotsman, sitting down with his Press and Journal and seeing an article about how the "Brighton Sex Maniac Strikes Again." Hamish is shocked and declares that "No Scotsman would do ...[text shortened]... ” in a negative form, to see what happens when one looks at things from another angle...
    "No true Christian would lose his faith in God".
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 03:13
    Originally posted by jammer
    ...swallow this bait.
    Well, I thought showing the "No True Scotsman" fallacy up-front was at least a bit revealing...
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 05:08

No true Christian would worry about a list, since it is a relationship
    with God through Jesus Christ that matters, bottom line.
    Kelly
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 05:52
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    No true Christian would worry about a list, since it is a relationship
    with God through Jesus Christ that matters, bottom line.
    Kelly
    I suppose you know the original line about waiting for the return of Christ was because they thought back 2000 years ago they were in the last days and it would only be a matter of weeks before everything got straightened out by their invisible friend. Well what have we now, 2000 years later telling the same sad tale. AND PEOPLE KEEP ON BUYING THIS BS. That's the saddest part. Keep the world riled up, kill those nasty muslims, muslims, kill those vile christians, till the end of eternity. What a way to live. Everyone self-rightousness sticking out all over, they feel so GOOOD about themselves because they have this PERSONAL relationship with their invisible friend. Makes me want to puke.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 06:08
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I suppose you know the original line about waiting for the return of Christ was because they thought back 2000 years ago they were in the last days and it would only be a matter of weeks before everything got straightened out by their invisible friend. Well what have we now, 2000 years later telling the same sad tale. AND PEOPLE KEEP ON BUYING THIS BS. That ...[text shortened]... ecause they have this PERSONAL relationship with their invisible friend. Makes me want to puke.
    My goodness, it looks as though you are having somewhat of a bad day, no? Anyhew, it looks like you have some more puking to do because I feel the same way as Kelly. 😛
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 07:32
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I suppose you know the original line about waiting for the return of Christ was because they thought back 2000 years ago they were in the last days and it would only be a matter of weeks before everything got straightened out by their invisible friend. Well what have we now, 2000 years later telling the same sad tale. AND PEOPLE KEEP ON BUYING THIS BS. That ...[text shortened]... ecause they have this PERSONAL relationship with their invisible friend. Makes me want to puke.
    I've never encountered any Christians with theintention to kill Muslims or Christians to the end of eternity, or at this moment either.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 10:52
    “No true Christian would try to define what a true Christian is.”
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 14:17
    Originally posted by rwingett
    “No true Christian would try to define what a true Christian is.”
    Just so I know, exactly how would you know?
    Kelly
  13. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 14:53

No true Christian would try to earn his way into heaven.
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 15:02
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Just so I know, exactly how would you know?
    Kelly
    How would you?
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Apr '07 16:39
    Originally posted by rwingett
    How would you?
    I"m a Christian, I may be wrong, I thought you were not.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree