1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Jan '14 06:422 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Of course, NOBODY would have built some kind of boat in the mountains specifically to convince people of the reality of the flood fairy tale would they?

Bottom line, finding some kind of structure they THINK is a boat, is A, not necessarily a boat and B, not by itself proof of any kind of world wide flood.

There would be consequences we would be livin ...[text shortened]... totally mind boggling to me how ANYONE in this day and age could be taken in by such utter ROT.
    When speaking of day and night together, it is referring to the light and dark portion of a 24 hour day and is sometimes represented as 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness, even though it may vary such that there is 11 hours of light and 13 hours of darkness, as long as it totals 24 hours.

All the facts associated with finding this boat agrees with the Genesis account. Therefore the evidence is overwhelming.

Genesis indicated that the earth was covered by only 15 cubits of water. You must remember that in those days all the mountains were lower, because the mountains rose up and the valleys sank down to gather up the waters from over the earth.

So your voodoo calculations don't work.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 Jan '14 06:56
    Noah's Ark is my litmus test for whether I take a theist seriously on science. I think you have to be insane to think that could really have happened.

Forget about all the millions of species in a ridiculously small space and the boat being too big to be seaworthy if it could hold the animals and carnivores not eating meat for years. I'm stuck on the two penguins waddling all the way from the South Pole to Iraq. I can't make that happen in my mind. They get eaten by a Lion, or drowned from trying to swim all the way around Africa, or suffer heat stroke once they reach the desert. Nope, sorry, this story has gigantic neon lights flashing "BS! BS!" when taken literally.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Jan '14 06:571 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Noah's Ark Documentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPRo7Q-7yQQ
    I don't know why you keep posting this stuff here, it's not like it is even conclusive evidence that it is a boat. It's a similar situation (although far more ridiculous) with your view of the shroud of Turin. These things are decaying artefacts of something, but what? Hyatt's investigations into the crossing of the Red Sea is more interesting than this boat in the hills thing, but still meaningless in the context of the normal Christian life. I found it a little sad that he spent decades of his life researching this mound in the hills and never actually proved anything.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Jan '14 07:072 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I don't know why you keep posting this stuff here, it's not like it is even conclusive evidence that it is a boat. It's a similar situation (although far more ridiculous) with your view of the shroud of Turin. These things are decaying artefacts of something, but what? Hyatt's investigations into the crossing of the Red Sea is more interesting than this ...[text shortened]... pent decades of his life researching this mound in the hills and never actually proved anything.
    I post these things in hopes that it might help the doubtful reconsider the truth of the Holy Bible and strengthen the faith of the believers. I don't see that it is a waste of his life. Maybe working in a dull 9 to 5 job could be considered more of a waste of time in my opinion.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Jan '14 07:12
    I post these things in hopes that it might help the doubtful reconsider the truth of the Holy Bible and strengthen the faith of the believers. I don't see that it is a waste of his life .
    I didn't say it was a waste, I said it is sad that he didn't actually prove anything after doing decades of work.

How does this video clip strengthen someone's faith or help a doubter reconsider?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Jan '14 07:18
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I didn't say it was a waste, I said it is sad that he didn't actually prove anything after doing decades of work.

How does this video clip strengthen someone's faith or help a doubter reconsider?
    Well, he did prove it to the Turkish government officials and to many that actually really studied his findings.

I said I hoped it would help someone. I can't be sure it will. Apparently you are not one of them that it might help. So you can ignore it if you wish.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Jan '14 07:36
    When speaking of day and night together, it is referring to the light and dark portion of a 24 hour day and is sometimes represented as 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness, even though it may vary such that there is 11 hours of light and 13 hours of darkness, as long as it totals 24 hours.

All the facts associated with finding this boat agrees with ...[text shortened]... ank down to gather up the waters from over the earth.

Every time you start this you show yourself to be a bigger moron!

What is an hour?
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Jan '14 08:02
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Every time you start this you show yourself to be a bigger moron!

What is an hour?
    An hour is the time it takes for 1/24 th of a rotation of the earth according to...

The Moron
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Jan '14 08:22
    An hour is the time it takes for 1/24 th of a rotation of the earth according to...

The Moron
    Earlier you said a day was 24 hours.

Now you say an hour is 1/24 of a rotation.
    (Lets not worry right now what that rotation is with respect to ...)

So you are therefore saying a "day" is one rotation.
    So it doesn't matter how long the rotation is
    (based on your own definitions).

So god may have made "rotations" a lot longer at the start of Creation.
    Could he do that?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Jan '14 08:40
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Earlier you said a day was 24 hours.

Now you say an hour is 1/24 of a rotation.
    (Lets not worry right now what that rotation is with respect to ...)

So you are therefore saying a "day" is one rotation.
    So it doesn't matter how long the rotation is
    (based on your own definitions).

So god may have made "rotations" a lot longer at the start of Creation.
    Could he do that?
    A day is a full rotation of the earth on its axis. God determined how fast this rotation was. We broke that rotation time up into 24 equal parts that we call an hour so we have a way to measure and tell the time.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jan '14 13:411 edit

All the facts associated with finding this boat agrees with ...[text shortened]... ank down to gather up the waters from over the earth.

15 cubits. A cubit was about 18 inches so you are saying the highest point on Earth was 24 feet high? How stupid can you get? 5000 years ago we are supposed to believe there was NOTHING on Earth more than say 50 feet high?

You are even more crazy than I thought.

Your head is screwed on about 720 degrees.
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Jan '14 14:35

The average depth of the oceans is [rounding down] 3.6km.
    They cover [rounding down] 70% of the Earth's surface.

If you made the surface of the Earth so smooth that it only deviated
    from an oblate spheroid by at most 24 feet, then that water would be
    covering 100% of the Earth's surface and not 70%...

Which means the depth would be appx 2.5km, not 24 feet.

If the entire Earth was covered by 24 feet [8 meters] of water as a near
    perfect oblate spheroid then we would have current average sea levels
    of around 11.4 meters...

So it is in fact your 'voodoo calculations' that do not work.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Jan '14 23:271 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    15 cubits. A cubit was about 18 inches so you are saying the highest point on Earth was 24 feet high? How stupid can you get? 5000 years ago we are supposed to believe there was NOTHING on Earth more than say 50 feet high?

You are even more crazy than I thought.

Your head is screwed on about 720 degrees.
    The discovery of Noah's ark has settled what was the cubit measure for the ark was because of its length. It has been determined that Noah used the Eqyptian royal cubit of 7 palms = 28 fingers or about 52.5 cm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_units_of_measurement

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v2/n2/original-cubit

I did not say there was nothing higher than 24 feet high. There were mountains and valleys before the flood. We don't know how high the mountains were. However, the mountains were lower and the valleys were higher before the flood than after the flood. It appears from reading Genesis that the flood waters rose 15 cubits above the highest mountain. That is my interpretation.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Jan '14 23:381 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    The average depth of the oceans is [rounding down] 3.6km.
    They cover [rounding down] 70% of the Earth's surface.

If you made the surface of the Earth so smooth that it only deviated
    from an oblate spheroid by at most 24 feet, then that water would be
    covering 100% of the Earth's surface and not 70%...

Which means the depth would be appx 2.5km, ...[text shortened]... vels
    of around 11.4 meters...

So it is in fact your 'voodoo calculations' that do not work.
    I don't think you can do any calculations, voodoo or not, because we don't know the shape of the land. We are only told that the waters covered all the mountains and then after the flood the mountains rose up and the valleys sank down. I don't believe that gives enough information to do any accurate calculating.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Jan '14 12:53
    The discovery of Noah's ark has settled what was the cubit measure for the ark was because of its length. It has been determined that Noah used the Eqyptian royal cubit of 7 palms = 28 fingers or about 52.5 cm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_units_of_measurement

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v2/n2/original-cubit

I did n ...[text shortened]... sis that the flood waters rose 15 cubits above the highest mountain. That is my interpretation.
    As it turns out, WE know how high the mountains are, were, and will be.

Everest is 29K feet high, was a million years ago and will be around that a million years from now.

Your fairy tale just gets weaker and weaker as time goes on.

How can you believe in such utter rot?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree