1. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 15:29
    Originally posted by dags
    These are really good questions 🙂

(repeats calmly "don't tease the christians, don't tease the christians)

🙂
    Why do people so often confuse "Christians" so often with "bunch of loony extremists living in back-water U.S.A."?

2039 million Christians in the world, 33% of the world population.

( http://www.religioustolerance.org/worldrel.htm )

There are, for example, around 3 million Episcopalian people in the U.S..

Why tar the other two billion and thirty-six million people with the same brush?
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 15:34
    Originally posted by sjeg
    Why tar the other two billion and thirty-six million people with the same brush?
    That is an unfair thing to do.

Do you believe in the story of Noah's Ark?
  3. An' it harms none...
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 15:34
    Why do people so often confuse "Christians" so often with "bunch of loony extremists living in back-water U.S.A."?

I wasn't doing that, it was a joke, apparently not a very good one. I was refering to christians very loosly as those who believe in Jesus as lord etc.

Sorry if I offended.
  4. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 15:381 edit

You want a nice, short answer to why people in general always tend to throw the lot under one flag; why we always tend to say they and us, when in fact there aren't many common factors between us accept for physical trades.

Well, I... so... ok...

Gaaahh, fire away Boose...

[edit: oh, ok... so you already replied... I'm fast, aren't I?.. Yes, I am... oh, yes, I am...]
  5. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 15:40
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    That is an unfair thing to do.

Do you believe in the story of Noah's Ark?
    I believe a story about a fellow called Noah and an Ark exists. Certainly. On that I am unshakeable.
  6. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 15:43
    Originally posted by dags
    I wasn't doing that, it was a joke, apparently not a very good one. I was refering to christians very loosly as those who believe in Jesus as lord etc.

Sorry if I offended.
    Ok dags, if you were referring to all Christians, then why would this thread induce you to thinking that it would be a good time for you to mock these 2 billion people?

I don't quite get it.

I'm not offended, just curious!
  7. An' it harms none...
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 15:49
    Ok dags, if you were referring to all Christians, then why would this thread induce you to thinking that it would be a good time for you to mock these 2 billion people?

I don't quite get it.

I'm not offended, just curious!
    I didn't mean to mock, I'm sorry.
  8. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 15:53
    Ok ok!

I just wanted to point out that there are only about three people in the world who read the Old Testament as literal fact, and they all have webbed feet.

So they'll be ok when the next flood happens, anyway.
  9. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 15:541 edit
    Ok ok!

I just wanted to point out that there are only about three people in the world who read the Old Testament as literal fact, and they all have webbed feet.

we.. webbed feet?.. I must be dumber than I initially suspected... ???

[edit:]

Oh, I see, you're talking about divers, aren't you? With, (directly translated from swedish since I don't know the english word) frogfeet. Yeah, christian divers. Apparently, there are only three of them... :
  10. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 16:00
    Ok ok!

Bosse, this is exactly why I don't want to take off my shoes.
  11. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 16:02

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Colorado
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 16:034 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Does the Bible mention any assistance from God and if it was all just a totally non-scientific miracle (ZAP ... all those bad people gone) then why the need to explain it as a flood with a boat etc as if it was actually feasable.

On a nother track ....
    Does any one know why in the Old Testament God was so into direct punishment of bad people and rewar hier lifetime whereas nowadays judgement and rewards appear to be reservered for the afterlife ?[/b]
    Does the Bible mention any assistance from God and if it was all just a totally non-scientific miracle (ZAP ... all those bad people gone) then why the need to explain it as a flood with a boat etc as if it was actually feasable.

Of coarse God had everything to do with it. God warned Noah, and started the floods when Noah had completed the arc.

I don’t think that miracles are totally non-scientific as you put it, but if you believe in the other miracles of the Bible then it is not too hard to believe that God made it possible.

Here are some links that suggest that our consciousness can have a real impact on the world around us. I suspect that the more we discover about science and religion, the more we will be able to reconcile the two.
    http://www.mercola.com/2002/may/8/prayer.htm

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:VyCwRnaDyHAJ:www.item-bioenergy.com/infocenter/ConsciousIntentiononDNA.pdf+Leonard+Laskow+observer+effect&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

http://www.usenet.com/newsgroups/sci.physics.relativity/msg15965.html

Could this research offer a possible explanation for some of the miracles performed by Jesus?

On a nother track ....
    Does any one know why in the Old Testament God was so into direct punishment of bad people and rewarding of good people within thier lifetime whereas nowadays judgement and rewards appear to be reservered for the afterlife ?

This is not necessarily true. A few stories don’t represent the billions that lived back then. I suspect that not much has changed in this regard. People still suffer and are rewarded today like they were back then.
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 21:40
    Originally posted by Will Everitt
    Theres no diffrence between 3,6 and 8.
    Can you lend me $3 then please?
  14. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 00:421 edit
    Is there anyone on this site who believes the Biblical account of Noahs Ark to be accurate and that the flood covered the whole world (not just a region)

Yes.

If so how do you explain:
    How to fit representatives of all the animals in the world into an ark?

I think God gave Noah the same technology we have today. You know the kind that lets us make those really cool pill-shaped toys that dissolve in water and expand into zoo animals?

It is interesting that insects and plants dont seem to be mentioned that much.

That's because plants and insects can survive under thousands of tons of turbid water.

How they subsequently spread to all corners of the globe in such a way that they appear to be ideally suited to thier environments and sometimes could not survive anywhere else?

The Earth was a giant mudflat with some enormous mudoceans. The animals just plopped themselves down in different places and waited for the environment to grow up around them.

If you dont believe the account literally but do believe in the creation account then why one story and not the other ?

Because otherwise you have to be an atheist and believe in EVILution and that your dad and mom were Capuchian monkies. I know my mom isn't a monkey. I don't know about my dad.
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 00:49
    What is your rank in the Lord's Army?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree