1. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 13:10
    Is there anyone on this site who believes the Biblical account of Noahs Ark to be accurate and that the flood covered the whole world (not just a region)
    If so how do you explain:
    How to fit representatives of all the animals in the world into an ark? It is interesting that insects and plants dont seem to be mentioned that much.
    How they subsequently spread to all corners of the globe in such a way that they appear to be ideally suited to thier environments and sometimes could not survive anywhere else?
    If you dont believe the account literally but do believe in the creation account then why one story and not the other ?
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulรคrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 13:35
    I'm not giving away any of Noah's secrets, but I can say you're in for a treat.
  3. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 13:37
    God can do anything he wants. It's the definition of God, dontchaknow.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 13:45
    Originally posted by David C
    God can do anything he wants. It's the definition of God, dontchaknow.
    Does the Bible mention any assistance from God and if it was all just a totally non-scientific miracle (ZAP ... all those bad people gone) then why the need to explain it as a flood with a boat etc as if it was actually feasable.

On a nother track ....
    Does any one know why in the Old Testament God was so into direct punishment of bad people and rewarding of good people within thier lifetime whereas nowadays judgement and rewards appear to be reservered for the afterlife ?
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulรคrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 13:47
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Does the Bible mention any assistance from God and if it was all just a totally non-scientific miracle (ZAP ... all those bad people gone) then why the need to explain it as a flood with a boat etc as if it was actually feasable.

On a nother track ....
    Does any one know why in the Old Testament God was so into direct punishment of bad people and rewar ...[text shortened]... hier lifetime whereas nowadays judgement and rewards appear to be reservered for the afterlife ?
    Stop asking the good questions. It only causes antagonism among the brethren. (The sistren don't seem to frequent this forum much, 'cept that nice witch who pops in from time to time).
  6. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 13:502 edits

On a nother track ....
    Does any one know why in the Old Testament God was so into direct punishment of bad people and rewar ...[text shortened]... hier lifetime whereas nowadays judgement and rewards appear to be reservered for the afterlife ?
    Good point.

Perhaps he's just doing his earthly laundry on a regular interval - say a few millennia apart... should be happening again, then... soon...

[edited spelling mistakes...]
  7. An' it harms none...
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 13:55
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Stop asking the good questions. It only causes antagonism among the brethren. (The sistren don't seem to frequent this forum much, 'cept that nice witch who pops in from time to time).
    These are really good questions ๐Ÿ™‚

(repeats calmly "don't tease the christians, don't tease the christians)

๐Ÿ™‚
  8. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 14:13
    Too bad, isn't it... I would love to see a few sistren in here... ๐Ÿ™‚ Don't they enjoy babbling like the rest of us?..
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulรคrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 14:15
    Originally posted by stocken
    Too bad, isn't it... I would love to see a few sistren in here... ๐Ÿ™‚
    Say hello to dags.
  10. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 14:18
    Say hello to dags.
    (pulling in air) Dags is of the female species?.. How delightful.. Think she'll like me?.. :
  11. An' it harms none...
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 14:52
    Say hello to dags.
    Hi ๐Ÿ™‚

The next free one's yours Bosse ๐Ÿ˜‰
  12. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 14:55
    Originally posted by dags
    Hi ๐Ÿ™‚

The next free one's yours Bosse ๐Ÿ˜‰
    There shall be no more free ones... I will be quite now... ๐Ÿ™‚
  13. An' it harms none...
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 15:03
    Originally posted by stocken
    There shall be no more free ones... I will be quite now... ๐Ÿ™‚
    Then I shall start to charge 3 smiles for a game, 4 if you want to be white ๐Ÿ™‚ 6 if you want to win and 8 if you want me to look like I didn't loose on purpose ๐Ÿ™‚
  14. Joined
    17 Jun '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 15:11
    Originally posted by dags
    Then I shall start to charge 3 smiles for a game, 4 if you want to be white ๐Ÿ™‚ 6 if you want to win and 8 if you want me to look like I didn't loose on purpose ๐Ÿ™‚
    Theres no diffrence between 3,6 and 8.
  15. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 15:28

On a nother track ....
    then why the need to explain it as a flood with a boat etc as if it was actually feasable.

The obvious answer could be "Allegory". Of course, allegory for what exactly, hard to say. The problem as I see it (propter hoc defense notwithstanding, thank you very much Hammy), is that the Noah story appears to have marked similarities to the Sumerian epic of Gilgamesh. Although it's a fantastic tale of divine intervention (in both cases), it may have been rooted in a more mundane, although catastrophic, localized event.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree