Of what worth is your God?

Of what worth is your God?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
04 Feb 19

@fmf said
Which "good deeds" result in a "pass judgement"?
Flawless life without sin.

F

Moves
04 Feb 19

@kellyjay said
Flawless life without sin.
A "flawless life without sin" is a "good deed"?

Moves
04 Feb 19

@kellyjay said
Goggle:
The humanistic perspective is an approach to psychology that emphasizes empathy and stresses the good in human behavior. ... In counseling and therapy, this approach allows an psychologist to focus on ways to help improve an individual's self-image or self-actualization - the things that make them feel worthwhile.

In other words a human perspective of what is good and evil.
The Bible (by all accounts) gives the 'divine perspective' on what is good and evil and here we see repeatedly that people are rewarded for their good behaviour and righteous living. (Start with Noah and take it from there).

The hypothesis I provided is not at odds with scripture and cannot be dismissed as purely a humanistic perspective.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Feb 19

@Velns

Here is your oportunity to explain, highlight or justify your particular god’s actions.

The question "Of what worth is your God" is kind of nonsensical to me.

Human beings derive worth and value because it was derived from their Creator. The ground of value in located in God. The source of value, dignity, preciousness is found in God's being intrinsically.

Man created in the image of God derives that worth in lieu of His being a product from God bestowed with worth.

Lower creatures have worth also. But human beings have more.

For instance Jesus said not a sparrow falls to the earth apart from God's knowledge. Yet man is worth more than many sparrows.

"Are not two sparrows sold for an assarion? And not one of them will fall to the earth apart from your Father.

But even the hairs of your head are all numbered.

Therefore do not fear; you are of more value than many sparrows." (Matthew 10:29-31)

God is the locus of worth. The worth of His creature human being is bestowed upon him being derived from the Source of worth.

And God said, Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of heaven, and over the cattle and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth.

And God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him, male and female He created them." (Genesis 1:26.27)

What is my God worth? He is worth itself.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
04 Feb 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said
The Bible (by all accounts) gives the 'divine perspective' on what is good and evil and here we see repeatedly that people are rewarded for their good behaviour and righteous living. (Start with Noah and take it from there).

The hypothesis I provided is not at odds with scripture and cannot be dismissed as purely a humanistic perspective.
Naturally, a "humanistic" hypothesis will tend towards "good behavior" because it is evident that good behavior results in positive outcomes.

As I see it though, a humanistic approach to behavioral modification is limited to rehabilitating the human condition which is inherently flawed. Don't get me wrong here. I'm all for doing everything possible to improve the plight of those who, for one reason or another, are disadvantaged by life's circumstances.

But, even some that were raised by a loving father and a nurturing mother go bad. In some cases it's a choice. In others biological.

In any case the human condition is fundamentally flawed and can only be remedied by an act of God, exclusive of religious and superficial observances of rites and rituals. Notwithstanding even the best of Christians struggle with the flesh.

My point is that the best counsel one can receive to help alleviate the pain and suffering inherent in the human condition resulting in the consequences for negative behavior is one of hope and certainty that only God can provide.

Hebrews 4:15a
For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities;

God loves us with a love like no other can.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
04 Feb 19

@sonship said

Genesis 15:1
Fear not, (enter name): I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.

italics mine. 🙂

F

Moves
04 Feb 19

@sonship said
Your Abrahamic God and worship of Him ~ and deliberating endlessly over the texts of one of the religions that has grown up around Him ~ surely has "worth" in your life in so far as it gives you a sense of purpose and meaning and identity, it contributes nurture stuff to your moral compass, and it gives you solace in the face of the inevitability of death - and the end to you that comes with it - by giving you a creed that convinces you that it is not the end. If that gives you peace of mind and helps you live your life, then I'd say that is the main measure of what your God is worth.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
04 Feb 19

@fmf said
Your Abrahamic God and worship of Him ~ and deliberating endlessly over the texts of one of the religions that has grown up around Him ~ surely has "worth" in your life in so far as it gives you a sense of purpose and meaning and identity, it contributes nurture stuff to your moral compass, and it gives you solace in the face of the inevitability of death - and the end to you tha ...[text shortened]... mind and helps you live your life, then I'd say that is the main measure of what your God is worth.
So all you are really saying is that God is worth nothing to you.

F

Moves
04 Feb 19

@secondson said
So all you are really saying is that God is worth nothing to you.
What I am saying is that I can see what worth there is - to sonship - in his god figure. As for myself, I lack belief in god or gods. Having said that, the Islamic culture around me where I live is peaceful and community spirited and charitable, so I suppose the worship of the Islamic version of sonship's Abrahamic God by those around me presents me with some real "worth", as has Christianity throughout my life.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
04 Feb 19

@fmf said
A "flawless life without sin" is a "good deed"?
We are too steeped in sin to have enough good deeds that matter as you should have known. It isn't by works, which you should have known too. The hope for any of us isn't found in our abilities to be good enough, that ship has sailed, instead it is through the grace and mercy of God through Jesus Christ.

Romans
though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls—

Galatians
yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
04 Feb 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said

Yes, and it is pointed out that none of us can claim to be righteous enough on our own to be accepted. We are called to be good but our righteousness acceptable to God is found in the Son of God no where else. Jesus is either the way, truth, and life in our lives or we are striving to do something that cannot be done on our own.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
04 Feb 19

@fmf said
What I am saying is that I can see what worth there is - to sonship - in his god figure. As for myself, I lack belief in god or gods. Having said that, the Islamic culture around me where I live is peaceful and community spirited and charitable, so I suppose the worship of the Islamic version of sonship's Abrahamic God by those around me presents me with some real "worth", as has Christianity throughout my life.
So are you now saying that you have found some "worth" in God, albeit be the result of the beliefs of others in a God you don't believe exists?

F

Moves
04 Feb 19

@secondson said
So are you now saying that you have found some "worth" in God, albeit be the result of the beliefs of others in a God you don't believe exists?
I see the worth of religious beliefs in people's lives and the effects it has on community and culture, sure. Don't you too?

F

Moves
04 Feb 19

@kellyjay said
We are too steeped in sin to have enough good deeds that matter as you should have known. It isn't by works, which you should have known too. The hope for any of us isn't found in our abilities to be good enough, that ship has sailed, instead it is through the grace and mercy of God through Jesus Christ.
So everybody deserves to be tormented in burning flames for eternity?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
04 Feb 19

@fmf said
So everybody deserves to be tormented in burning flames for eternity?
Evil is going to be wiped out in judgment, anyone who does evil is a evil doer. All of us have sinned, and all of us are facing Hell, if we are without salvation. You have asked this before, and you should have known the answer being a backsliding Christian. It is before you and everyone else.