1. S. Korea
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 07:46
    @fmf said
    Well, we have discussed this before, KellyJay. Don't pull a Fetchmyjunk/dj2becker on me, now! The Book of Revelation was where the doubts first crept in ~ 20 or so years ago. I now see it as a hoax/delusion no different from the Muhammed and Gabriel hoax/delusion.
    It took until the second page for FMF to insult a poster who wasn't present in the thread.
  2. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 07:53
    @philokalia said
    I am giving you constructive feedback on how to become a better thread starter and top knotch thinker.

I'm helping you become a better version of yourself.

And i am clarifying the reality here for others.
    Perhaps you need a little help with this objective.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 07:541 edit
    @kellyjay said
    We have discussed a lot of things in the past, I don't doubt Revelation was a topic,
    but I don't actually recall the finer points of it. You do not believe God is going to
    wrap up His creation here, and start a new without evil in it? What do you find is
    not a viable text or doctrine?

We don't have to go over this again either if you don't want too, up to you!
    Maybe I'll dig out one of the old threads. If you want to follow the doctrines that Revelation contributes to, that's fine. Whether one believes its authorship and its content [and the circumstances in which its content came into existence] are all authentic and credible, well, it is essentially a take-it-or-leave-it situation. In the end, after much contemplation, I decided that I didn't take it.

The doctrine is therefore moot as far as I am concerned [I just look at it now as material related to ideological/moral issues rather than something that was previously given certain status and significance by my faith]. It turned out to be the thin end of an intellectual wedge.

I'll dig out one of the old threads if I come across one.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 07:55
    @philokalia said
    It took until the second page for FMF to insult a poster who wasn't present in the thread.
    What does 'to pull a Fetchmyjunk/dj2becker on someone' mean, do you think? I'm not sure you have been here long enough to know what it means exactly.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 08:09
    @fmf said
    Maybe I'll dig out one of the old threads. If you want to follow the doctrines that Revelation contributes to, that's fine. Whether one believes its authorship and its content [and the circumstances in which its content came into existence] are all authentic and credible, well, it is essentially a take-it-or-leave-it situation. In the end, after much contemplation, I decided that ...[text shortened]... the thin end of an intellectual wedge.

I'll dig out one of the old threads if I come across one.
    Looking forward to it if you do.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 08:231 edit
    @kellyjay said
    What do you find is
    not a viable text or doctrine?
    If Jesus was not born in Bethlehem and that particular claim was added to the text decades after Jesus' death in order that the prophecy of Micah could be said to have been fulfilled - to be clear: I am NOT asking you to subscribe to this view, I am saying IF it was so - then would that not be significant and would it not raise a question mark over the authorship and content of the text?

This is not a question that can be deflected by characterizing it is one of many mere "little things". Credibility and confidence are crucial to faith. Faith and belief are "big things" not "little things". Confidence in the Bible is the key to everything that Christians believe about themselves and about the significance of Jesus' life and death.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 08:28
    @fmf said
    What does 'to pull a Fetchmyjunk/dj2becker on someone' mean, do you think? I'm not sure you have been here long enough to know what it means exactly.
    I think it means many of the discussions are more about people than topics in my
    opinion. Justifying some point of view you have attached to someone, as if they
    are nothing but that cookie cutter versions of the person you created in your head
    is all you are about. Find some flaw in your estimation and highlight it over and
    over reducing them to non-human status but instead your cookie cutter version
    of who they are. You pull out names to make a point as if that is all you need to
    do!
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 08:31
    @kellyjay said
    I think it means many of the discussions are more about people than topics in my
    opinion. Justifying some point of view you have attached to someone, as if they
    are nothing but that cookie cutter versions of the person you created in your head
    is all you are about. Find some flaw in your estimation and highlight it over and
    over reducing them to non-human status but inst ...[text shortened]... tter version
    of who they are. You pull out names to make a point as if that is all you need to
    do!
    FMF: What does 'to pull a Fetchmyjunk/dj2becker on someone' mean, do you think? I'm not sure you have been here long enough to know what it means exactly.

@kellyjay said
    I think it means many of the discussions are more about people than topics in my opinion. Justifying some point of view you have attached to someone, as if they are nothing but that cookie cutter versions of the person you created in your head is all you are about. Find some flaw in your estimation and highlight it over and over reducing them to non-human status but instead your cookie cutter version of who they are. You pull out names to make a point as if that is all you need to do!

No. This is not what the expression 'to pull a Fetchmyjunk/dj2becker on someone' means, as I use it. You are incorrect.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 08:32
    @fmf said
    If Jesus was not born in Bethlehem and that particular claim was added to the text decades after Jesus' death in order that the prophecy of Micah could be said to have been fulfilled - to be clear: I am NOT asking you to subscribe to this view, I am saying IF it was so - then would that not be significant and would it not raise a question mark over the authorship and content of t ...[text shortened]... ything that Christians believe about themselves and about the significance of Jesus' life and death.
    How would you know where He was born, even His disciples wouldn't have known
    except Mary or Joseph told them. It didn't even appear Mary shared with Jesus
    who His Father was when you read the text, when they lost Jesus. There are many
    things in scripture if you were going to make it up you'd choose a better story. Not
    having women be the first ones who saw Jesus after He rose. The reality of the
    story isn't designed to make a great impression, but the truth of it.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 08:33
    @kellyjay said
    How would you know where He was born, even His disciples wouldn't have known
    except Mary or Joseph told them. It didn't even appear Mary shared with Jesus
    who His Father was when you read the text, when they lost Jesus. There are many
    things in scripture if you were going to make it up you'd choose a better story. Not
    having women be the first ones who saw Jesus after He rose. The reality of the
    story isn't designed to make a great impression, but the truth of it.
    You have sidestepped my question.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 08:35
    @fmf said
    FMF: What does 'to pull a Fetchmyjunk/dj2becker on someone' mean, do you think? I'm not sure you have been here long enough to know what it means exactly.

@kellyjay said
    [b]I think it means many of the discussions are more about people than topics in my opinion. Justifying some point of view you have attached to someone, as if they are nothing but that cookie cu ...[text shortened]... t the expression 'to pull a Fetchmyjunk/dj2becker on someone' means, as I use it. You are incorrect.
    You claim it means something just by saying their names, that assumes everyone
    should think of them as you do, you reduced them into by word. Or have I not been
    here long enough to know?
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 08:383 edits
    @fmf said
    If Jesus was not born in Bethlehem and that particular claim was added to the text decades after Jesus' death in order that the prophecy of Micah could be said to have been fulfilled - to be clear: I am NOT asking you to subscribe to this view, I am saying IF it was so - then would that not be significant and would it not raise a question mark over the authorship and content of t ...[text shortened]... ything that Christians believe about themselves and about the significance of Jesus' life and death.
    Yes, credibility and confidence are important, which meant when they choose
    those books to compile the Bible, those that did it did their due diligence. You
    have seen the numbers of the copies of texts found when they put it together, no
    other book has had that level of confirmation to it.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 08:41
    @kellyjay said
    You claim it means something just by saying their names, that assumes everyone
    should think of them as you do, you reduced them into by word. Or have I not been
    here long enough to know?
    If you didn't witness the almost 2 years of one particular gimmick over and over and over again then so be it. I was referring to that. You have been here long enough. But Philokalia may not have been. Don't worry about it.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 08:43
    @kellyjay said
    Yes, credibility and confidence are important, which meant when they choose
    those books to compile the Bible, those that did it did their due diligence. You
    have seen the numbers of the original copies of texts found when they put it
    together, no other book has had that level of confirmation to it.
    So is your answer to my question 'Yes' or 'No'? I wasn't asking about your belief with regard to Bethlehem, or Revelation, or the authorship of the Bible. I asked you a specific question.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 08:45
    @fmf said
    If you didn't witness the almost 2 years of one particular gimmick over and over and over again then so be it. I was referring to that. You have been here long enough. But Philokalia may not have been. Don't worry about it.
    As I said, a by word. How many people here drag other's names into discussions
    that have nothing to do with them just illustrate a point by smearing them? I don't
    think I have ever brought your name into a discussion you were not a part of, even
    when I wasn't responding to you I didn't talk about you, but the same wasn't done
    to me. It is a nasty habit of yours if you think about it, I think you'd agree.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree