1. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 12:50
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Question for you - suppose he was once a born-again Christian who later abandoned faith, even though he was in all other respects a good man. What then?
    I'd fear for his soul.
  2. London
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 12:54
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    You see, now you've got me going back to my keyboard.

So, if a mans only sin is not to believe in god, your God would have him in Eternal Damnation?

But if Ian Huntley truely repented, he would go to heaven. . . I think i prefer Halitose's God to yours, yours kinda sucks (please dont ask me to define sucks).

🙂
    Read the EDIT I posted. I clarify there that rejecting God need not always be a mortal sin.

But, if it is a mortal sin, then the person has full knowledge of the gravity and nature of his action as well as full consent for it. This means he has completely cut off his relationship with God and bears full responsibility for it. Why should he be admitted into heaven then? He chose to stay out.

If you want a Santa Claus God, then good luck elsewhere. You won't find it in orthodox Christianity.
  3. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 12:55
    Originally posted by Halitose
    I'd fear for his soul.
    The greatest sin is to judge others before God has had the chance, thats playing God.

(sorry if i posted this elswhere)
  4. London
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 12:591 edit
    The greatest sin is to judge others before God has had the chance, thats playing God.

Saying that a person is putting his soul at risk is neither playing God nor passing judgment - it's a statement of familial concern. Not to warn a person that he is doing that is an abdication of the responsibility God places on us.

EDIT: "You're going to Hell" is a judgment. "You're risking going to Hell if you do/continue doing that" is a fraternal warning.

And, no - the greatest sin is not judging others. It's wilfully and knowingly rejecting God's love and grace.
  5. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 12:59

This is why I didn’t make it an outright condemnation.
  6. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 13:03
    Saying that a person is putting his soul at risk is neither playing God nor passing judgment - it's a statement of familial concern. Not to warn a person that he is doing that is an abdication of the responsibility God places on us.

And, no - the greatest sin is not judging others. It's wilfully and knowingly rejecting God's love and grace.
    i dont honestly believe that someone who thinks such a thing is not being judgemental, but thats neither here nor there.
    I would reject a God that demands recognition.

But i think at the end of the day, we will find out either way. . .Thats a Fact.
  7. London
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 13:11
    I would reject a God that demands recognition.
    You cannot wilfully and knowingly reject God and expect to be in heaven at the same time because that's what heaven is - intimate everlasting communion with God.

If I divorce my wife because I don't want to have anything to do with her, I have no right to expect a place in her house. What's more, why would I even want to be in her house if I was the one looking for divorce in the first place?
  8. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 13:111 edit
    i dont honestly believe that someone who thinks such a thing is not being judgemental, but thats neither here nor there.
    Would you encourage a (hypothetical) friend to face up to their drug addiction?
  9. London
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 13:121 edit
    If you had a son, and you warned him that the company he keeps is likely to get him in trouble, are you being judgmental?

EDIT: Looks like Hal and I had similar thoughts! The drug addiction analogy was my other choice.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 13:24
    No. Lets play the ball a bit, you'll be askin me to define "man" next.

Its a theoretical question meant to provoke debate, not a lets ask Huck 20 questions thing.
    My point is that according to the Bible there are no minor sins. If you sin you become a sinner. It is much akin to being put on trial for murder and gettin up to defend yourself and saying what a good person you have been ect. The judge will look at you and say thats nice, but thats not why your here.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 13:35
    But i think at the end of the day, we will find out either way. . .Thats a Fact.
    I disagree. If you die and there turns out not to be an afterlife then you can not really be said to have 'found out'.
  12. London
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 14:39
    Originally posted by whodey
    My point is that according to the Bible there are no minor sins.
    Jesus and St. Paul disagree. (c.f. Mt 12:31, 1 Cor 3:15)
  13. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 15:24
    Does a good man go to heaven if he doesnt believe in God ?

sorry thiests, ah aint pickin on you's 🙂
    Everybody will have an opinion, but the only one that I would rely on is the one the Bible gives:

John 3:17-18
    17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
    18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Acts 4:12
    12 Neither is there salvation in any other (name i.e. Jesus): for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
  14. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 15:33
    If I divorce my wife because I don't want to have anything to do with her, I have no right to expect a place in her house. What's more, why would I even want to be in her house if I was the one looking for divorce in the first place?
    What if she turned up at your doorstep begging to be let in, saying that she would suffer some unspeakably terrible fate if you said no?
  15. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 15:341 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    My point is that according to the Bible there are no minor sins. If you sin you become a sinner. It is much akin to being put on trial for murder and gettin up to defend yourself and saying what a good person you have been ect. The judge will look at you and say thats nice, but thats not why your here.
    It's clearly not like being on trial for murder (unless you have murdered someone). It's more like facing the death penalty for having failed to pay a couple of parking tickets.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree