1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 14:032 edits
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    John 10:30
    I and my father are one. (KJV)

1. There is no reason to take this verse to mean that Christ was saying that he and the Father make up “one God.” The phrase was a common one, and even today if someone used it, people would know exactly what he meant—he and his father are very much alike. When Paul wrote to the Corinthians about his ministry th ...[text shortened]... and protect the sheep.

Buzzard, pp. 135 and 136

Farley, pp. 60 and 61

Morgridge, pp. 39-42
    I for one believe the veracity of this statement in the Word of God: "I and the Father are one.” (John 10:30)
    and of course respect your own privilege to reject it for whatever reasons you choose.

"Note: God the Father and God the Son and God the Holy Spirit, are three distinct persons who are co-equal, co-infinite and co-eternal; all three possess the same divine nature and eternal attributes. God is one in essence but in three persons." (previous page)
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 14:161 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    I for one believe the veracity of this statement in the Word of God: "I and the Father are one.” (John 10:30)
    and of course respect your own privilege to reject it for whatever reasons you choose.

"Note: God the Father and God the Son and God the Holy Spirit, are three distinct persons who are co-equal, co-infinite and co-eternal; all three possess ...[text shortened]... vine nature and eternal attributes. God is one in essence but in three persons." (previous page)
    Have to admit, the concept of the Trinity has always made my head hurt. Am following this thread though with an open mind.

*Edit. - Well, as open as an atheist can muster anyway.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 19:47

"Note: God the Father and God the Son and God the Holy Spirit, are three distinct persons who are co-equal, co-infinite and co-eternal; all three possess ...[text shortened]... vine nature and eternal attributes. God is one in essence but in three persons." (previous page)
    Jesus Christ is subject to the Father. This is "co-equal'? How does that work?

Note: God is eternal, Jesus did not exist before he was born, the holy spirit is the power of God.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 19:48
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Have to admit, the concept of the Trinity has always made my head hurt. Am following this thread though with an open mind.

It makes mine hurt too...
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 21:101 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    "No, they didn't. Show me one scripture where the disciples baptised in the [b]"name of the father and of the son and of the Holy Spirit"
    . Just one will do"

"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, te ...[text shortened]... )

http://www.wenstrom.org/downloads/written/doctrines/pneumatology/ministry_of_the_spirit.pdf[/b]
    This in no way explains why the diciples baptised in The name of Jesus instead of father, son and Holy Ghost.

Jesus IS the name that is given, the name of the father AND of the son AND of the Holy Ghost, the only name given among men...

When Jesus said go baptise in THE name (singular) of the father AND of the son AND of the Holy Spirit, he knew exactly what he was doing. Jesus is that name.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 21:14
    Jesus is the invisible Jehovah God made visible, the right arm laid bare, the fullness of the godhead in bodily form, the prince of peace, the Mighty God, the everlasting father, the counsellor spirit.

It's right there in scripture guys.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 21:50

Note: God is eternal, Jesus did not exist before he was born, the holy spirit is the power of God.
    Its mysterious .. get it? Its a mystery.

Thats the line they use when you get them in a corner 😀
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    20 Jul '15 00:401 edit
    Shall I take your avoidance of posting a scripture to support your claim that the diciples baptised in the "name of the father and of the son and of the Holy Spirit" as being an admittance that you don't have a scripture to support your claim?

Why do you think that after Jesus commanded them go baptise in the "name of the father and of the son and of ...[text shortened]... clusion is at odds with what your human authority figure has taught you, you will not accept it.
    The question may not be answerable on historic records but be resolved to some degree by looking at the current Baptismal rite as at:

http://www.catholicliturgy.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/textcontents/index/4/subindex/67/textindex/7

Partial quote:

Then, turning to the font, he says the following blessing (outside the Easter season).

A. Father, you give us grace through sacramental signs, which tell us of the wonders of your unseen power. In baptism we use your gift of water, which you have made a rich symbol of the grace you give us in this sacrament. At the very dawn of creation your Spirit breathed on the waters, making them the wellspring of all holiness. The waters of the great flood you made a sign of the waters of baptism, that make an end of sin and a new beginning of goodness.

Through the waters of the Red Sea you led ?Israel out of slavery, to be an image of God's holy people, set free from sin by baptism. In the waters of the Jordan your Son was baptized by John and anointed with the Spirit. Your Son willed that water and blood should flow from his side as he hung upon the cross.

After his resurrection he told his disciples: "Go out and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." Father, look now with love upon your Church, and unseal for her the fountain of baptism. By the power of the Spirit give to the water of this font the grace of your Son. You created man in your own likeness: cleanse him from sin in a new birth to innocence by water and the Spirit.

The celebrant touches the water with his right hand and continues:

We ask you, Father, with your Son to send the Holy Spirit upon the water of this font. May all who are buried with Christ in the death of baptism rise also with him to newness of life. We ask this through Christ our Lord.

All: Amen.
    end quote

Edit: But all this shows is that Trinitarianism is Catholic orthodoxy.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Jul '15 01:05
    This in no way explains why the diciples baptised in The name of Jesus instead of father, son and Holy Ghost.

Jesus IS the name that is given, the name of the father AND of the son AND of the Holy Ghost, the only name given among men...

When Jesus said go baptise in THE name (singular) of the father AND of the son AND of the Holy Spirit, he knew exactly what he was doing. Jesus is that name.
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (Page 3)
    "If you're unable to accept the words of the Lord Jesus Christ Himself it's highly doubtful that you'll ever accept His words quoted to you by anyone on this online spirituality forum. Perhaps you should consider making an appointment with your own pastor/teacher to privately discuss this gnawing question."

Originally posted by divegeester in "What Do You Believe" Thread 164808 (Page 7)
    "Despite your delusions of self-annointed grandeur, your posts in this forum are not "the Word of God".

The post in discussion is a list of scriptures you have collated in order to aim them at posters you don't like in this forum. Trying to portray this post of yours as "the Word of God" is toe-curling embarrassment."

"Perhaps you should consider making an appointment with your own pastor/teacher to privately discuss this gnawing question."
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Jul '15 01:07
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke

GD, I appreciate your objectivity and honesty. Glad you're here. -Bob
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Jul '15 01:11

checkbaiter, sadly it would appear that you've been misinformed. Why? Because you lack the doctrinal frame of reference to grasp the significance of The Trinity. Suggest that you too consult privately with your own pastor/teacher.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Jul '15 01:15
    It makes mine hurt too...
    Of course it does: when the Doctrine of The Trinity was first presented by my pastor/teacher in my early twenties, "mine hurt too..."
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Jul '15 01:41
    Of course it does: when the Doctrine of The Trinity was first presented by my pastor/teacher in my early twenties, "mine hurt too..."
    Sounds like you were abused by your pastor/teacher. Maybe you should have needed the warning not to put your trust in fallible men. What's worse you want others make the same mistake you did.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Jul '15 02:07
    GD, I appreciate your objectivity and honesty. Glad you're here. -Bob
    You are such a shallow biased piece of garbage. This constant @$$licking of some posters by telling them you are glad they are here is the same as telling the others you are not glad they are here. You just cant discuss without sticking your tongue where it does not belong?
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Jul '15 02:17
    checkbaiter, sadly it would appear that you've been misinformed. Why? Because you lack the doctrinal frame of reference to grasp the significance of The Trinity. Suggest that you too consult privately with your own pastor/teacher.
    Really? Why don't you just answer the question?
    I take offense as to what you think "appears" that I am misinformed.
    You are taking the stance that you are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong?
    I can tell you that the scriptural evidence for one God and one Lord is overwhelming.
    Your belief in a trinity revolves around a handful of verses.
    Perhaps you should consult privately with God and the Lord Jesus.
    Start by emptying yourself of human tradition and humbling your self in prayer and really study the scriptures.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree