On Delusion

On Delusion

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
23 Oct 12

Many spiritual traditions speak of "delusion". How is "delusion" defined in your spiritual tradition? It would be helpful if you could cite a few examples illustrating some common "delusions".

Moves
23 Oct 12

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Many spiritual traditions speak of "delusion". How is "delusion" defined in your spiritual tradition? It would be helpful if you could cite a few examples illustrating some common "delusions".
My spiritual tradition. Hmmm...

When it comes to the meaning of words, my bible is the dictionary. Any standard one will do, although there are several books in my bible. As needed, there is a medical dictionary, technical dictionary, legal dictionary, etc.

In this case:

Delusion

False belief system (e.g., believing you are Napoleon, have magical powers, or the false belief that others are 'out to get you.'πŸ˜‰.

http://allpsych.com/dictionary/d.html

F

Moves
23 Oct 12

The delusion that I sometimes get accused of harbouring is that I believe that I will enjoy immortality even though I do not subscribe to a religion. However, in actual fact, I don't believe I will enjoy immortality because I do not subscribe to a religion. There is a delusion in there somewhere, but I am not sure whose.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
23 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
The delusion that I sometimes get accused of harbouring is that I believe that I will enjoy immortality even though I do not subscribe to a religion. However, in actual fact, I don't believe I will enjoy immortality because I do not subscribe to a religion. There is a delusion in there somewhere, but I am not sure whose.
Almost all of us live with delusions whether its religious or secular. The religious set has fallen for the god delusion hook line and sinker in spite of the fact there are hundreds if not thousands of religions and a lot of them are diametrically opposed to one another, not something a god would have set up, but something that would follow quite naturally from the whole thing being made up by mankind.

The secular set could have delusions of thinking they are free and such when in reality they are controlled by societal rules just as much as the deluded religious set.

T

Moves
23 Oct 12

Originally posted by JS357
My spiritual tradition. Hmmm...

When it comes to the meaning of words, my bible is the dictionary. Any standard one will do, although there are several books in my bible. As needed, there is a medical dictionary, technical dictionary, legal dictionary, etc.

In this case:

Delusion

False belief system (e.g., believing you are Napoleon, have magical ...[text shortened]... the false belief that others are 'out to get you.'πŸ˜‰.

http://allpsych.com/dictionary/d.html
Perhaps I needed to be more clear. From what I've seen, those spiritual traditions that speak of "delusion" seem to have an esoteric definition within the context of the respective tradition. I'm interested in how the various traditions define "delusion".

T

Moves
23 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
lol. I have to wonder if it's both.

Insisting that you are saying that you believe you " will enjoy immortality because I do not subscribe to a religion" when you actually say that you believe you" will enjoy immortality even though [you] do not subscribe to a religion" seems to be a delusion.

Unless you can provide evidence or a reasoned argument that you will enjoy mortality, I'd be strongly inclined to believe that this is also a delusion.

Moves
23 Oct 12

Originally posted by sonhouse
Almost all of us live with delusions whether its religious or secular. The religious set has fallen for the god delusion hook line and sinker in spite of the fact there are hundreds if not thousands of religions and a lot of them are diametrically opposed to one another, not something a god would have set up, but something that would follow quite naturally ...[text shortened]... when in reality they are controlled by societal rules just as much as the deluded religious set.
Clearly, Satan has deluded you.

I thought I'd be first to say so.

Moves
23 Oct 12

lol. I have to wonder if it's both.

Insisting that you are saying that you believe you " will enjoy immortality because I do not subscribe to a religion" when you actually say that you believe you" will enjoy immortality even though [you] do not subscribe to a religion" seems to be a delusion.

Unless you can provide evidence or a reasoned ar ...[text shortened]... ou will enjoy mortality, I'd be strongly inclined to believe that this is also a delusion.
"Reality is a collective hunch." -- Lily Tomlin

PS Have you googled on the notion of delusion you are talking about?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
23 Oct 12

Clearly, Satan has deluded you.

I thought I'd be first to say so.
OH NO, ANYONE BUT SATAN. I'm doomed for sureπŸ™‚

T

Moves
23 Oct 12

"Reality is a collective hunch." -- Lily Tomlin

PS Have you googled on the notion of delusion you are talking about?
I'll assume that your response was meant to refer to my response to you rather than my response to FMF.

I was looking to engage in discussions about "delusion" with practitioners of various spiritual traditions rather than read canned defintions from various websites. Quite frankly, I've yet to find any definitions that wouldn't seemingly require the practioner to delude himself into assimilating views that are outside of reality. I was hoping that a discussion might shed some light on why that may not be true.

F

Moves
24 Oct 12

Unless you can provide evidence or a reasoned argument that you will enjoy mortality, I'd be strongly inclined to believe that this is also a delusion.
I don't believe there is any immortality for anyone. Sorry if my offhand post earlier made it unclear [and on reflection, I think it did].

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Oct 12

Originally posted by sonhouse
OH NO, ANYONE BUT SATAN. I'm doomed for sureπŸ™‚
Don't act surprised. You knew that already. 😏

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Oct 12
2 edits

The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
(2 Thessalonians 2:9-12 NKJV)

I think delusion is something that appears to be the truth, but is actually a lie, like evolution for the atheist.

Moves
24 Oct 12
2 edits

I'll assume that your response was meant to refer to my response to you rather than my response to FMF.

I was looking to engage in discussions about "delusion" with practitioners of various spiritual traditions rather than read canned defintions from various websites. Quite frankly, I've yet to find any definitions that wouldn't seemingly require the p ...[text shortened]... reality. I was hoping that a discussion might shed some light on why that may not be true.
Yes. I don't know of any spiritual traditions that speak of "delusion", except those that speak of delusion of those people who are not adherents of that spiritual tradition. Can you provide examples of these "Many spiritual traditions [that] speak of "delusion"? Maybe that would help.

Moves
24 Oct 12
2 edits

Originally posted by RJHinds
The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this reason God will send them strong [b]delusion, that they should believe the lie, that they all ...[text shortened]... s something that appears to be the truth, but is actually a lie, like evolution for the atheist.[/b]
That's what I told sonhouse. Except I forgot to mention God sent the delusion after all.