1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 May '18 07:25
    Does the 'liberation' and 'empowerment' that the online disinhibition effect provides enhance or detract from the spiritual or philosophical characteristics that people seek to project and offer up for scrutiny?
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 May '18 07:28
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Does the 'liberation' and 'empowerment' that the online disinhibition effect provides enhance or detract from the spiritual or philosophical characteristics that people seek to project and offer up for scrutiny?
    My pre-coffee answer is, what the what now?!
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 May '18 07:32
    I think it does both; the same freedom to speak ones mind and generate open debate that anonymity and disinhibition provides, is the same mechanism which triggers the curtain-flapping open phenomena which reveals the true character.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 May '18 07:32
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    My pre-coffee answer is, what the what now?!
    Time zones, dear chap, time zones. 😏
  5. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 May '18 07:37
    Time zones, dear chap, time zones. 😏
    That didn't see to impede Dive. He must be on his third coffee already.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 May '18 07:431 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    the same freedom to speak one's mind and generate open debate that anonymity and disinhibition provides

Not everyone is comfortable talking about spiritual matters in 'real life' - maybe because of having to conform to a group - maybe because they find it difficult to articulate ideas verbally - maybe because they want to 'road test' ideas - maybe due to the lack of opportunity.

...the same mechanism which triggers the curtain-flapping open phenomena which reveals the true character.

Maybe some people are constrained by [or are insincere about] the standards they set themselves [or have set for them] in 'real life' and like to parade a side of themselves that, for practical reasons, they have to keep hidden when not online.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 May '18 07:50
    ... the 'liberation' and 'empowerment' that the online disinhibition effect provides...
    If, say, a Muslim is interested in converting to Christianity, the online disinhibition effect could set in motion the necessary learning and contemplation and interaction to make this possible ~ in a way that the realities of everyday life in their own family or community would perhaps make completely impossible.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 May '18 11:33
    For better or worse, if you keep up a pretense, perhaps it will become the real you.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 May '18 14:563 edits
    If, say, a Muslim is interested in converting to Christianity, the online disinhibition effect could set in motion the necessary learning and contemplation and interaction to make this possible ~ in a way that the realities of everyday life in their own family or community would perhaps make completely impossible.
    I remember warnings from the pulpit about the secularizing effect of state-run universities. The effect of being away from my childhood social environment was not that dramatic since my theological doubts were in hand by the time I was a high school sophomore, but I was able to read books and have conversations without inhibitions except the ones I choose to have. I remember particularly, the book Man and His Gods by Homer W. Smith, a book that is available on-line at:

https://tzmvirginia.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/smith-man-and-his-gods1.pdf

So if you are suggesting that disinhibition can lead to growth that might otherwise be stifled, I'd agree that it is a two-edged sword.
  10. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    19 May '18 19:231 edit
    And to think I almost started a thread titled "Online I'm a Saint...", and in the OP, "...in real life I run with the devil".

But I thought better of it.

Could I have 'reverse disinhibition effect syndrome"? 😉
  11. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 May '18 19:34
    Originally posted by @secondson

If so, I might be able to prescribe a tablet for that. (Side effects include bloating, mild headaches and the growing of a third ear).
  12. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    19 May '18 19:39
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    If so, I might be able to prescribe a tablet for that. (Side effects include bloating, mild headaches and the growing of a third ear).
    A third ear might come in handy. 😉
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 May '18 19:42
    Originally posted by @secondson
    And to think I almost started a thread titled "Online I'm a Saint...", and in the OP, "...in real life I run with the devil".

But I thought better of it.

Except of course that you didn’t think that at all.
  14. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    19 May '18 19:45
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Except of course that you didn’t think that at all.
    No, I really did.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 May '18 20:17
    Online disinhibition effect is just the 21st-century version of getting bombed at the pub.

Only instead of being a pain in the neck and bore to the person on the next barstool, you get to do that to people in other countries.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree