1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 04:07
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Sure....
    No, I want you to be unequivocal please...so is your “sure” saying that:

yes, you do accept that the words in the bible were written by a human person

or a:

no, you don’t accept the words of the bible were written by a human person

Which is it.
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 04:201 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    No, I want you to be unequivocal please...so is your “sure” saying that:

yes, you do accept that the words in the bible were written by a human person

or a:

no, you don’t accept the words of the bible were written by a human person

Which is it.
    Yes I accept that the words in the Bible were written by human people that were inspired by God to accurately record His words.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 04:26
    Yes I accept that the words in the Bible were written by human people that were inspired by God to accurately record His words.
    No... that isn’t what I asked if you accepted.

I have asked you, several times now, if you accept that the words in the bible were written by human people - this is what I said initially and is what you challenged me on and is why we are having this exchange.

So...are you going to respond to my specific question or just keep avoiding it?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 05:228 edits
    If is certainly incougruent to watch you write about righteousness, justice and lovingkindness from your version of god, when he will be spectating in hell with his angels as he oversees the screams of the flesh-melting eternal carnage he has created.

Well, as much as you try you cannot erase the fact that SOMETIMES in the Bible, God apparently would not let His people be exploited by the Devil because of their natural inclination
    of pity.

In your next post to me explain these for passages where the God whose mercy endures forever tells the Israelites that on THESE occasions, they are not to be overcome with pity.

"And you shall devour all the peoples which Jehovah your God is giving you; your eye shall not pity them ..." (Deut. 7:16a)

"And your eye shall not pity; a life for a life, an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a hand for a hand, a foot for a foot." (Duet. 19:21)

"You shall not yield to him nor listen to him, nor shall your eye pity him, neither shall you spare him or conceal him," (Duet. 13:8)

" ... then you shall cut off her hand; your eye shall not pity her." (Duet. 25:12)

In these instances, God will not allow human pity to occasion sin to go unjudged.

It appears that the Devil is so subtle that he could gain the advantage of God's saints by exploiting their sense of natural pity on some occasions.

While you speak of my "version" of God, keep in mind that this is the very same Yahweh / Jehovah of whom Psalm 136 repeatedly says that " His mercy endures forever" about twenty six times.

Do you agree?
    Do you agree that it is speaking about the same God, divegeester.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 05:332 edits
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Do you agree that it is speaking about the same God, divegeester.
    You’re the one with the dilemma about the “same god” having eternal mercy while at the same time having eternal suffering in hell while he watches it all.

The onus is on you to explain the dilemma your doctrine, not me.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 05:341 edit
    Well, as much as you try you cannot erase the fact that SOMETIMES in the Bible, God apparently would not let His people be exploited by the Devil because of their natural inclination of pity.
    When exactly have I tried muchly to do this...?
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 05:401 edit
    You’re the one with the dilemma about the “same god” having eternal mercy while at the same time having eternal suffering in hell while he watches it all.

The onus is on you to explain the your dilemma your doctrine, not me.

No, You're the one that has to evade the issue.
    I am the one who takes to heart - the kindness AND severity of God.

"Behold then the kindness and severity of God ..." (Rom. 11:21a)

You're the one with the myopic vision which only wants to see one side of God - His kindness, but deny His severity.

That's your lopsided bias.

The onus is on you to explain the your dilemma your doctrine, not me.

Nope. You evade the onus which is on YOU.
    Does God on these occasions tell His saints that they should not circumvent His judgment because of pity?

Are those verses about the same God as is spoken of in Psalm 136? YOUR onus.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 05:463 edits
    You evade the onus which is on YOU.
    Nice try at deflecting sonship, but not good enough.

You believe in a god who has eternal mercy, but this Jesus who has this mercy will be standing in an eternal hell watching billions of people being burnt while HE personally supernaturally keeps them alive.

These are YOUR beliefs, not mine.
    I don’t believe it, YOU do.
    The onus is on YOU to explain YOUR beliefs not me.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 10:071 edit
    No... that isn’t what I asked if you accepted.

I have asked you, several times now, if you accept that the words in the bible were written by human people - this is what I said initially and is what you challenged me on and is why we are having this exchange.

So...are you going to respond to my specific question or just keep avoiding it?
    I already answered your question, yes I accept that the words in the Bible were written by human people. My question to you is do you believe these people were inspired by God to accurately convey His words to us? You can't seem to give me a straight answer.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 10:251 edit
    My question to you is do you believe these people were inspired by God to accurately convey His words to us? You can't seem to give me a straight answer.
    I haven’t given you any answer as I’ve been waiting to close off your challenge to me from when I said that the words were written by human beings. And you do agree. They have also been translated many times over thousands of years.

In answer to your question, I don’t know.

Do you know, and if so how? The whole bible? Parts? Which parts? Which parts are literal and which symbolic? How do you know?
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 17:49
    I haven’t given you any answer as I’ve been waiting to close off your challenge to me from when I said that the words were written by human beings. And you do agree. They have also been translated many times over thousands of years.

In answer to your question, I don’t know.

Do you know, and if so how? The whole bible? Parts? Which parts? Which parts are literal and which symbolic? How do you know?
    I think it is impossible to know for sure. But I do think we have to decide whether we are willing to trust all of it, because if we don't, why trust any of it?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 19:021 edit
    I think it is impossible to know for sure. But I do think we have to decide whether we are willing to trust all of it, because if we don't, why trust any of it?
    Ok now we are talking properly. Thank you.

I have been brought up, from a Christian perspective, to accept the absolute infalibiity of the Bible, and I understand why I was educated that way. But, I don’t accept that teaching face value, just because I was taught it. I simply don’t and if I’m wrong then I’ll take it up with the Lord when we meet, because too much of it doesn’t make enough sense to me.

Tell me why me or anyone should accept the absolute infallibility of the bible?
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 19:295 edits

Not so nice try on your part to conceal your dilemma.
    Psalms and Deuteronomy are about the same God.
    Sorry.

You believe in a god who has eternal mercy,

Some beings refuse any mercy.
    Some beings refuse to acknowledge that there is need of it.

but this Jesus who has this mercy will be standing in an eternal hell watching billions of people being burnt while HE personally supernaturally keeps them alive.

You are still evading that on occasion God told His saints that their eye should not pity.

"... your eye shall not pity them ..." (Deut. 7:16a)
    "And your eye shall not pity; ... " (Duet. 19:21)
    " ... nor shall your eye pity him, neither shall you spare him or conceal him," (Duet. 13:8)
    " ... your eye shall not pity her." (Duet. 25:12)

Do you think by giving me the big evasive "SHHHH!" the passages will go away?

So produce then textural evidence that Psalm 136 is authentic but Deuteronomy 7:19; 13:8; 19:21; 25:12 were shoe horned in latter by mean people.

Can't do it, can you?
    Well, opt for deflecting instead.
    Work on your pity evoking special effects harder.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 20:05

Not so nice try on your part to conceal your dilemma.
    [b]Psalms
    and Deuteronomy are about the same God.
    Sorry.

You believe in a god who has eternal mercy,

Some beings refuse any mercy.
    Some beings refuse to acknowledge that there is need of it ...[text shortened]... can you?
    Well, opt for deflecting instead.
    Work on your pity evoking special effects harder.[/b]
    When you read about Jesus personally overseeing the eternal flesh-melting torture in hell, what do you think and feel sonship?

Remember he is absolutely sovereign, he is absolutely eternally merciful, he is the firstborn, he is God the creator. It’s all his plan.

Feels fair and equitable does it?
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    06 Dec '17 01:45
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    It sound that way to me, too. I bet a believer will explain this away using translational gymnastics or similar.
    Romans 11:33
    33 "O the depth of God’s riches and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgments are and beyond tracing out his ways are!"

"Read your bible."

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/draw-close/wisdom/divine-wisdom-jehovah-god/#?insight[search_id]=be9f5f1a-80c8-4050-8faa-fa9cb73115a5&insight[search_result_index]=6

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree