1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    17 Jun '18 15:32
    Originally posted by @eladar
    By not opening most threads I am being self important?
    Oh gosh. Way to not comprehend my post!
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 00:22
    Originally posted by @sonship
    You must be tired of shrugging already ?

[b]It lays the groundwork for Purgatory, except treating it as more of a temporary event, than a temporary location.

No, Purgatory is a Catholic teaching about suffering after death BEFORE the resurrection. Time in Purgatory before the Second Coming counts to purify the dead one. Indulgence ...[text shortened]... ures teach because supposedly it "lays the ground work" for someone who WANTS to pervert things.[/b]
    “Purgatory is a Catholic teaching about suffering after death BEFORE the resurrection”

That’s not how I was taught. You may have it right on an academic scriptural level, but the nuns and priests who had to assert control taught purgatory as fully applicable to living pre-teens, to me and my cohort, even after penance.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 03:49
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    You're the one being self important. This is a public forum. Once you start a thread, you have no control over who reads it, posts in it, or otherwise. Acting as though you do is futile.
    He's a manipulator .
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 09:028 edits
    Originally posted by @js357
    That’s not how I was taught. You may have it right on an academic scriptural level, but the nuns and priests who had to assert control taught purgatory as fully applicable to living pre-teens, to me and my cohort, even after penance.

I think I understand your point, but am not sure.

Of course the Catholic theologians had some apparent biblical bases for teaching Purgatory. Just as they had some arguable basis for worshipping Mary or regarding Peter as the first pope.

Saying "total rip off" was flippant and perhaps a premature remark about the teaching itself.

Putting aside Indulgences, I recognize that certain Bible passages were seen by them to mean Purgatory after dying, was going to be the experience of some of their followers.

Now if you are in any way claiming that a LIVING Christian was seen by them as presently undergoing Purgatory, that would be new to me. I am willing to look into that as I have never heard of a Purgatory for living Christians, teen or otherwise.

Is that what you are saying ?
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 09:19
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    "For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found....But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’” (Luke 15:11-32 condensed).

Didn't the son in the parable 'fall away' and become lost, and yet was welcomed back and forgiven by his father?
    Yes, but there is a point of no return.
    Which is why the scripture stresses we are not to play around with this, we can be saved
    today and only today, no one is promised tomorrow and properly none are promised the
    next 10 minutes.
    The topic can go down several paths, but the bottom line is we can turn away and will
    not be able to return.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 09:23
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Here is another

For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning. For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them. (2 Peter 2:20-21 KJV)
    This is key, "and overcome", if we are not over come if we see our errors and can repent,
    but if we are, there is no hope.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 09:531 edit
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    Yes, but there is a point of no return.
    Which is why the scripture stresses we are not to play around with this, we can be saved
    today and only today, no one is promised tomorrow and properly none are promised the
    next 10 minutes.
    The topic can go down several paths, but the bottom line is we can turn away and will
    not be able to return.
    You Too ??

Lord have mercy!
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 10:04
    You Too ??

Lord have mercy!
    I don't get to pick and choose truth within scripture to suit my liking, I have to accept it as
    written and not change it's meaning to suit my desire and sensibilities. If I did I would be
    not different than those that think Jesus' words don't matter if they can twist scripture to
    suit the way they look at specific text.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 10:31
    I don't get to pick and choose truth within scripture to suit my liking, I have to accept it as
    written and not change it's meaning to suit my desire and sensibilities. If I did I would be
    not different than those that think Jesus' words don't matter if they can twist scripture to
    Well, I respect your stance because you seem to be a lot less belligerent than Rajk999.

Lord have mercy. I thought you were more in the realm of being convinced of the assurance of eternal salvation.

The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 10:443 edits
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 10:46
    Now I do believe in consequences for how we lived after receiving the Spirit of Christ.

"Do not be deceived, God is not mocked, for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap,

For he who sows unto his own flesh will reap corruption of the flesh, but he who sows unto the spirit will of the Spirit reap eternal life." (Gal. 6:7,8)

How many of you believe it is possible to hold that concept AND the assurance of eternal redemption and the gift of eternal life ?

How many think the two teachings are mutually exclusive ?
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 11:24
    Well this is one area of the doctrine of the Apostles where we clearly agree. Jesus also issued firm and direct statements and in parables about this matter. Satan sows seeds in among the wheat, these are people among Christ sheep are Christians and members of the church. These will be removed and burned in the end. Sonship and his doctrine is perverted and nonsensical in insisting that these seeds of Satan, parading as Christians will be given eternal life. What utter garbage.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 11:24
    Well, I respect your stance because you seem to be a lot less belligerent than Rajk999.

Lord have mercy. I thought you were more in the realm of being convinced of the assurance of eternal salvation.

The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you.
    I am assured and resting in His grace. I don’t worry about being plucked from His hands either and I know no matter what happens in this world He is with me. I also know if I do sin He is faithful and just to forgive me, not because I am so special but due to His love for me. So I know that I would never want to treat this great salvation with contempt and use it to sin without repentance, openly putting Christ to shame. It is bad enough when I screw up as it is than to be unrepentant as a lifestyle choice!
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 11:28
    I am assured and resting in His grace. I don’t worry about being plucked from His hands either and I know no matter what happens in this world He is with me. I also know if I do sin He is faithful and just to forgive me, not because I am so special but due to His love for me. So I know that I would never want to treat this great salvation with contempt and ...[text shortened]... o shame. It is bad enough when I screw up as it is than to be unrepentant as a lifestyle choice!
    And you have the correct attitude for the repentant Christian. However the idea that a Christian can continue to sin indefinitely and be forgiven indefinitely is unbiblical. Those who both preach that and believe that are bringing damnation upon themselves.
  15. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 12:00
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    And you have the correct attitude for the repentant Christian. However the idea that a Christian can continue to sin indefinitely and be forgiven indefinitely is unbiblical. Those who both preach that and believe that are bringing damnation upon themselves.
    And those who teach salvation by works are bringing damnation upon themselves.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree